Vintage Blues pictures and film

On 29/11/2018 at 23:11, Peckham Blue said:

That old North Stand shack really is a funny old looking thing.  I suppose if had wrapped around as intended it would have been OK but the rest of the ground would have looked ridiculous.

I think it would have looked stonking if the North Stand went all the way across the end. Could well have become the home terrace rather than the Shed.

I take it the original North Stand mob were in the terrace under the roof?

I think I only went about 3 times when it was still standing, but witnessed umpteen times the lads getting stuck into away fans, which went on not every game but fairly regularly all the way up till 82 when gate 13 got going.

Edited by Ewell CFC

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Highlights of us playing Wolves at The Bridge back on 11th December 1976.

Just look at the amount of sand on the pitch !

I've always wondered just how good that team could have gone on to be if some transfer dosh had been made available for Eddie Mac, I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have gone back down two years later. Almost up there with 83/84 for me personally, first full season after leaving school, the Pistols and the Clash tearing up the place, and money in my pocket to go home and away every week as opposed to getting to whatever away games I could scrape up the money for.

1 hour ago, MKBlue said:

I've always wondered just how good that team could have gone on to be if some transfer dosh had been made available for Eddie Mac, I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have gone back down two years later. Almost up there with 83/84 for me personally, first full season after leaving school, the Pistols and the Clash tearing up the place, and money in my pocket to go home and away every week as opposed to getting to whatever away games I could scrape up the money for.

Good points about 'what if transfer dosh had been made available' and had 'Eddie Mac stayed.'

In reality, the New Main Stand cost us a lot in terms of money and 'wasted seasons'. It wasn't until John Neal assembled 'that team' during the summer of 1983, that we really began to climb back.

12 hours ago, chi blue said:

We took a fair few up there that season, 10k? Seasons 88/89 and 89/90 were a couple of my favourite seasons after you know what season, liked that shirt as well, I was 20/21 not a care in the world, where's those years gone.

The ' I was 20/21 not a care in the world, where's those years gone' seems to be a theme on the Vintage pages.

I know exactly what you mean.

When I got my that season's retro home shirt last Christmas (second time, first time was Christmas 1983 !) I was like a big kid !:biggrin:

Just wondering, I know I know...my coffee has  kicked in.

If the internet and 'The Shed End' had been about. back in say. oh season 1983/84 :biggrin: 

What would the comparable that season have been for older Chelsea supporters ?

Would it have been 1954/55 Champions at last, or one of the mid 1960s seasons under The Doc, or perhaps 1969/70 when we won the FA Cup ?

Just wondering...

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

The ' I was 20/21 not a care in the world, where's those years gone' seems to be a theme on the Vintage pages.

I know exactly what you mean.

When I got my that season's retro home shirt last Christmas (second time, first time was Christmas 1983 !) I was like a big kid !:biggrin:

Sad thing is, every night before I go to a game, I say to my lads it's Christmas Eve! They look at me and say you need to get out more!! Well Christmas Eve tomorrow as going to Wolves. 

I used to get nervous when listening to a Chelsea game on 'Radio 2 Sport on 2' back then or waiting to hear the result . :sofa:

Even when attending a game up here in Scotland. 

(Thankfully my old man used to take a small radio with him to the games and he'd listen for the Chelsea score updates.)

I was still feeling the same nerves, before yesterdays home game v Fulham !

My wife and kids have just got used to it.

'Leave him alone, it's Chelsea' is the comment...:biggrin:

11 minutes ago, erskblue said:

I used to get nervous when listening to a Chelsea game on 'Radio 2 Sport on 2' back then or waiting to hear the result . :sofa:

Even when attending a game up here in Scotland. 

(Thankfully my old man used to take a small radio with him to the games and he'd listen for the Chelsea score updates.)

I was still feeling the same nerves, before yesterdays home game v Fulham !

My wife and kids have just got used to it.

'Leave him alone, it's Chelsea' is the comment...:biggrin:

Reminds me of leaving the ground in the days before smart phones and internet access and seeing someone with a radio. A crowd would gather round the person to listen to scores and match reports. Different times.

My old man used to get The Sunday Times delivered to our house when I was younger.

This was great for me as a youngster, as it had decent English football coverage.

I wasn't at all interested in the front page news. Just the sports section. Actually, things haven't changed that much to be honest.

There was an early evening Saturday paper up here in the West of Scotland back then, called 'The Sports Times'.

It came out at approximately 6-6.30pm every Saturday until about 1992.

It had, all the Scottish senior football reports. The vast majority of these reports were mostly of the first half of games due to the print deadlines !

Most importantly, for me anyway. It had all the English football scores.

Different times indeed.

On 28/11/2018 at 15:57, Ewell CFC said:

He had a very lived in face did Eddie Mac.

Looked like a middle aged bloke, even as a young player judging by photos.

Bit like John Thaw, who was only 32 when he started playig Regan in the Sweeney.

And Jack Pallance. Looked no different in Shane than he did in City Slickers nearly 40 years later.