Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

On 01/02/2019 at 16:38, Boyne said:

I don't know from which season this is but guess which club has the biggest attendance. Not bad for a club which is supposed to have no history.

Image may contain: text

Liverpool not such an attraction in Bristol?

Edited by Peckham Blue

Beating Villa 4-1 at The Bridge on 27th Dec 1986.

Our scorers were: Nigel Spackman in 8th minute with a penalty, King Kerry Dixon in the 45th and 83td minutes and the skipper Colin Pates in the 77th minute.

14,637 saw it and we were 19th in Division 1.!

18 hours ago, Peckham Blue said:

Liverpool not such an attraction in Bristol?

Bigger crowd at Upton Park than Highbury. Only just more there than Millwall, Plymouth and Wigan.

They didn’t really get going I think till the Herbert Chapman era in the 30’s.

Then again we’d won SFA at this point, and still had a much bigger gate- Were Everton a more attractive proposition than Stoke?

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Found these pictures when looking for something else.

Originally posted by Charles Ryder a couple of years ago.

Fantastic old photograph collection. That kid in the top photo, could have been me being passed down to the front.

17 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Bigger crowd at Upton Park than Highbury. Only just more there than Millwall, Plymouth and Wigan.

They didn’t really get going I think till the Herbert Chapman era in the 30’s.

Then again we’d won SFA at this point, and still had a much bigger gate- Were Everton a more attractive proposition than Stoke?

Edit: Everton were the reigning Div 1 Champions. Dixie Dean had scored 60 goals. Probably a few floating fans turned out to see them

On 03/02/2019 at 06:52, Shug said:

“On the benches, on the benches, on the benches Stamford Bridge”

I never really got the benches. Went there with me old man and brothers as a kid, when allowed to go with me mates it was the Shed, followed by Gate 13 and West Stand.

Funny looking back, how during sell out games, the benches used to self regulate. Ie. No reserved seats, so you all just squeezed up. When you could transfer from the Shed how did they know just how many were on the benches?

Must of used a clicker. Don’t remember going through a turnstile, must of been fun down at the main turnstiles working out how many stayed in the shed or transferred.  That’s why attendances weren’t accurate especially when the gate men kept their foot down on the pedal!!

56 minutes ago, erskblue said:

I'm sure that above two pics were after the last home game of that season !:drinks::biggrin:

Think they were Leeds at home the 5-0 mate, that was our second to last home game and we got promoted, the Barnsley game was our last home game and don't remember it being sunny, what ever game it was, WE WERE BACK!!!

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Some more photos from Charles Ryder.

Just looking at the picture of the North Stand doing there job v Liverpool in 82. The tall bloke with the black jumper, fourth from the left at the very back - I used to play football with. Remember him telling me they got in over the railway tracks.

He was a tough lad; used to do bouncing work at some rough spots when he was still a teenager. He’s now a millionaire.

Edited by Ewell CFC