Vintage Blues pictures and film

13 hours ago, erskblue said:

Never knew that the standard greyhound standard distance was 500 yards.

One of my grandfathers many years ago, used to go to watch the greyhound racing at Shawfield Stadium in Glasgow. This was the home ground of Clyde F.C. for many years.

In fact I think there is Greyhound racing there to this day.

Many years ago, I went to Shawfield for the Scottish Derby with a few mates of mine. They lived in a town called Fauldhouse, halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Lunatic Celtic fans unfortunately.

18 hours ago, bluehaze said:

One a working class man who followed Chelsea home and away. The other a millionaire who loved the fans so much he wanted them to be zapped like cattle if they went anywhere near his fiefdom.

Bates was born in a council flat, his mum died not long after he was born & his Dad did a runner, he was bought up by his grandparents, he is a self made millionaire.

The electric fence was a gimmick anyone who really thinks he would have turned the power on to his electric fence is deluded.

2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

That's just laughable 

It was Bates response to the FA charging the club for the Sunderland riot, he was interviewed afterwards & said how can we be fined when we did everything we can to stop the morons causing trouble, over 30,000 people witnessed a fan on the pitch trying to attack Clive Walker yet the culprit walked away with a fine.

Do you honestly think the GLC, the FA, the Police, the fans would have accepted the electric fence being turned on? No chance.

44 minutes ago, Carshalton Blue said:

It was Bates response to the FA charging the club for the Sunderland riot, he was interviewed afterwards & said how can we be fined when we did everything we can to stop the morons causing trouble, over 30,000 people witnessed a fan on the pitch trying to attack Clive Walker yet the culprit walked away with a fine.

Do you honestly think the GLC, the FA, the Police, the fans would have accepted the electric fence being turned on? No chance.

So your saying someone went to the expense of putting up an electric fence just to make a point your taking the piss. You believe Bates thinks right the club is being seen in a really negative way so what I'll do is make us look even more stupid and vilified by putting up an electric fence. What sane person runs a business and thinks I'll get some terrible publicity and will be threatened with legal action and look like a right tit but it's worth it nothing like getting your name dragged through the mud.

Of course the police and GLC objected it's inhumane to put up an electric fence and your saying it was a publicity stunt ! people try and get publicity to promote their business in a good light not the polar opposite. If Bates could have turned it on he would have done and only backed down because of the threat of legal action  no grey area he put it up he intended to use it.

Edited by bluehaze

My sons shake their heads in complete disbelief, when they see or read of the conditions in football stadiums that supporters had to put up with back in ,say,the mid 1980s.

They are amazed that so many people actually paid to go along and put up with these conditions. Also the policing etc.

Edited by erskblue