Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

On 16/07/2019 at 06:03, erskblue said:

My sons shake their heads in complete disbelief, when they see or read of the conditions in football stadiums that supporters had to put up with back in ,say,the mid 1980s.

They are amazed that so many people actually paid to go along and put up with these conditions. Also the policing etc.

Shame though grounds now a days are souless bowls, at least the bridge holds a bit of old school still, I would hate the thought of getting up on match day and having to go to some out of town industrial estate to watch a game, Brighton for instance you have to catch a train from the town centre, Reading you have to go on a bus and Southampton you have a 25 minute hike from station or city centre and as for the Emirates well the inhabitants in there are rugby fans or theatre goers.

Still love the cup draws incase we get an away trip to one of the few old school grounds. But agree though the facilities weren't the best back in the day

45 minutes ago, In the Net said:

A lot of man-spreading going on there - Charlie Cooke's shorts have practically disappeared! ?

Out of twenty one players, Choppers the only one with hair cut above the ears.

Some lovely Barnet’s on display there- Graham Wilkins included

Edited by Ewell CFC

23 hours ago, erskblue said:

Related image Looks like Man City at The Bridge, possibly in 1974/75 ?

Rodney Marsh was with City between 1972 - 76, so you're probably correct ersk'

8 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Out of twenty one players, Choppers the only one with hair cut above the ears.

Some lovely Barnet’s on display there- Graham Wilkins included

Graham had to upstage his brother somehow! Britton's and Dempsey's quiffs leave the rest for dead.

21 hours ago, chi blue said:

Shame though grounds now a days are souless bowls, at least the bridge holds a bit of old school still, I would hate the thought of getting up on match day and having to go to some out of town industrial estate to watch a game, Brighton for instance you have to catch a train from the town centre, Reading you have to go on a bus and Southampton you have a 25 minute hike from station or city centre and as for the Emirates well the inhabitants in there are rugby fans or theatre goers.

Still love the cup draws incase we get an away trip to one of the few old school grounds. But agree though the facilities weren't the best back in the day

But they were the conditions we grew up watching football. It was our normal facilities.

Agree re souless bowls stadia of today.

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

Related image Posted on here before. But I like it. The original 'seated Shed' !:biggrin:

Well the excitement this pre season is as near as I can remember to 83/84 or 84/85, just need to turn up for Leicester home in August and find Roman as done some major ground redevelopment over the summer and the old shed and West stand have been re built!! Happy Days

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Related image Posted on here before. But I like it. The original 'seated Shed' !:biggrin:

Between the ages of 12 to 16 used to get in the Shed really early- like this pic used to spread out, read the programme from cover to cover, watch the warm up.

That changed start of 82/83 when started to get in the pubs. It went from being in 2 hours before kick of kick off to 5 minutes, or 15 minutes into the game if you’d “ got the taste”

13 hours ago, chi blue said:

Well the excitement this pre season is as near as I can remember to 83/84 or 84/85, just need to turn up for Leicester home in August and find Roman as done some major ground redevelopment over the summer and the old shed and West stand have been re built!! Happy Days

Now there is a thought !:biggrin:

On 16/07/2019 at 06:03, erskblue said:

My sons shake their heads in complete disbelief, when they see or read of the conditions in football stadiums that supporters had to put up with back in ,say,the mid 1980s.

They are amazed that so many people actually paid to go along and put up with these conditions. Also the policing etc.

Yeah it was bad. Even at home games walking to the ground, if you even half stepped into the road plod would start pushing you. They loved a fight as much as the fans.

Away matches were where plod really took the p1ss, especially Yorkshire. They were animals.

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 04:47, old git said:

Rodney Marsh was with City between 1972 - 76, so you're probably correct ersk'

Didn't even realise it was Rodney Marsh to be honest. Just thought it was 1974/75 because of the two side's strips being won.

8 hours ago, Shug said:

Yeah it was bad. Even at home games walking to the ground, if you even half stepped into the road plod would start pushing you. They loved a fight as much as the fans.

Away matches were where plod really took the p1ss, especially Yorkshire. They were animals.

One of my sons went to a match in the Scottish Division 1 at Ayr United's Somerset Park He went as one of his mates was playing for the away side.

He said that he "had been to 'a 1980s Football Stadium !" :biggrin:It was mostly terracing and I think one side uncovered.

"Welcome to my world." was my reply