Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

The Chelsea Tour was the last British club to tour South America, in 1929. Since the first tour in 1904, the South American players had evolved a lot, as they were described as "true masters in tactical play" by Chelsea chairman Kirby himself. He also remarked the style and ball control on offer, perhaps a consequence of the outstanding sporting facilities many of the amateur teams possessed.[18] The evolution of South American football was also evident in the tour results: of 16 games played during their three months tour, Chelsea only won five, with eight loses.[1] On the other hand, the Chelsea players emphasised the "unfair play" of some Argentine players and the violent surrounding atmosphere of the supporters in Argentina. The Chelsea management complained to the Football Association that "non-observance of the laws of the game hindered real football".[19]

¡Golazo!: A History of Latin American Football by Andreas Campomar – Quercus Publishing Plc (2014) – ISBN 978-1848668560

5 hours ago, old git said:

I think it was through necessity not fashion. My old man worked on the railway and was off to work at 4 in the morning. Summer or winter, it was still bloody cold at that time, so on went the flat cap.

My old man worked night shift at the P.O sorting office coming home in the morning on the trains about 6am. He had a flat cap and so did my uncle who worked in Sales, I recall Greenshield Stamps. My uncle though was always thin on top so I assumed when I was young that was to keep his head warm.  I think they stopped wearing them in the 80s.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Related image Wembley 86 v Man City and David Speedie is in full flight

Mud on his legs and socks. You never see premier league players with mud on them.. 

Most would throw a hissy fit

Edited by Shug

10 hours ago, erskblue said:

Just spent 10 minutes trying to find the one without a hat or cap and failed !

Top left of the photo, 3 inches in from the side and half inch down from the top!

19 hours ago, Shug said:

Mud on his legs and socks. You never see premier league players with mud on them.. 

Most would throw a hissy fit

Yeah agreed. It would ruin their light blue/yellow/lime green football boots. We simply can't have that can we.

Bah humbug...:oldboy:

Related image Is that Derby  or Fulham at The Bridge ? Can't quite make out the club badge on the away team shirt and don't recognise the opposition player.

Edited by erskblue

11 hours ago, erskblue said:

Related image Is that Derby  or Fulham at The Bridge ? Can't quite make out the club badge on the away team shirt and don't recognise the opposition player.

I reckon that's Derby we're playing as it looks like John O Hare on the ball. Big, no nonsense centre forward who could put himself about.

13 hours ago, old git said:

I reckon that's Derby we're playing as it looks like John O Hare on the ball. Big, no nonsense centre forward who could put himself about.

Cheers mate.

42 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Nine of the above players came through the club's ranks ! The legendary Panini sticker album !!

Remember when Geoff Hurst became manager, thought as he had one the world cup the happy days were coming, no such luck, I was only about 10 so what did I know!! We had to wait another 4 years until THAT team came along.