Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

2 hours ago, Boyne said:

Back in the early seventies my Dad would send me up to the newsagent to buy his cigarettes. A parent couldn't ask a child to do that now. A packet of 20 cigarettes was 25p. I think a packet of cigarettes is now about £10. And as for Saturday morning pictures in 1970 it cost a shilling (5p) to get in as a kid.

Used to get sent down the corner shop with a note from me Mum for a packet of Peter Stuyvesant Blue.

Remember cigarette vending machines outside shops too, though they used to get turned over a fair bit.

6 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Used to get sent down the corner shop with a note from me Mum for a packet of Peter Stuyvesant Blue.

Remember cigarette vending machines outside shops too, though they used to get turned over a fair bit.

So did bubble gum machines 😀

10 hours ago, Boyne said:

Back in the early seventies my Dad would send me up to the newsagent to buy his cigarettes. A parent couldn't ask a child to do that now. A packet of 20 cigarettes was 25p. I think a packet of cigarettes is now about £10. And as for Saturday morning pictures in 1970 it cost a shilling (5p) to get in as a kid.

Yes I remember 5p to get into Saturday movies yet more because the price doubled in the mid-70's and I didn't have enough so had to walk about a mile home alone.

10 hours ago, erskblue said:

Image result for chelsea tickets 1980 'Peter Bonetti  Now Postman On Isle Of Mull. Here With His Post Van 1980.' Photo caption.

Mull is an island off the West Coast of Scotland, just in case you're wondering where Mull is situated !

10 hours ago, Mod Stark said:

I’m sure @mad_mac would appreciate that post.

I am indeed.  He was down the south end of the Island, and he stayed in a guest house that, I believe, was once an old Manse.  Think it even had an old cemetery within the grounds.

He took a bit of an interest in coaching the young lads down there and turned them into quite a team...considering their "pitch" had rocks in the middle of it

13 hours ago, Boyne said:

And as for Saturday morning pictures in 1970 it cost a shilling (5p) to get in as a kid.

You paid to get into Saturday morning pictures?

At Fulham Broadway, thought one kid paid then hit the emergency exit at the back and everyone piled in before the commissionaire could work out where they had gone.

Wagon wheels were defo larger then as well.

8 hours ago, mad_mac said:

I am indeed.  He was down the south end of the Island, and he stayed in a guest house that, I believe, was once an old Manse.  Think it even had an old cemetery within the grounds.

He took a bit of an interest in coaching the young lads down there and turned them into quite a team...considering their "pitch" had rocks in the middle of it

Glad you appreciated the Peter Bonetti on Mull photo.

Wow ! rocks in the middle of their pitch...grassroots football eh, if you'll excuse the bad pun !

programme cover for Wolverhampton Wanderers v Chelsea, Tuesday, 22nd Aug 1978 On this day back in 1978. Tuesday, 22nd Aug 1978 . Away at Woves in midweek saw us get a 1-0 win, That would be rare itself as the season progressed, sadly !   22,041 saw it.   And it was Tommy Langley who scored for us in the 42nd minute.

programme cover for Wolverhampton Wanderers v Chelsea, Saturday, 22nd Aug 1964 Same date in 1964 only a Saturday saw us win 3-0 at Wolves with 25,181 in attendance. Our scorers that day were Bobby Tambling in the 4th and 77th mins and Terry Venables in the 16th min.

Amazingly, both Peter Bonetti and Ron Harris played in the 1964 and 1978 games away to Wolves.

17 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Related image

Just looked this game up online; it was the  first game under floodlights at Champion Hill. Chelsea won 3-Nil, crowd of 4,000.

Thought the attendance might have been higher than that- believe they had 20,000 plus before.

45 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Image result for stamford bridge 1990s Denis Wise v Norwich at The Bridge on Saturday 12th Sept 1992.

Think that might of been when Beasant threw two in for Norwich, followed by cries of there's only one Kevin Hitchcock