Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

On 03/11/2019 at 19:12, Backbiter said:

Weren't we the only team to beat them (with that goal by Trevor Aylott pictured above) in the season after we got promoted together and they won the league? (Pretty sure Aylott never scored another goal for us. To this day I've never heard our fans give a player abuse like they used to give him - apart from Paul Canoville).

Edit: Just seen your post saying Forest lost three games. I think we might have been the first team to beat them.

You are right about Aylott. He scored in 2 home games running (Bristol City and Forest), and then never managed another. Although he did manage to score a few for Barnsley when he left us for them in 79. If memory serves me correctly we were on a bit of a goal drought around that time. His 2 match winning goals were invaluable as we almost went goalless for the rest of October and November. Was Langley out injured at the time, or was he just struggling to get used to the tougher competition? Finnieston had been pretty prolific the previous season but struggled with injuries after that.

I'm also pretty sure that we took the lead against Forest in the return fixture at the City ground, and were dreaming of an impressive double, before they hit back to beat us 3-1. 

10 hours ago, Boyne said:

From the League Cup semi-final match against Sunderland in 1985. What a night that was.

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor

There will never be a night in or round the bridge like that, you had to be there to believe it.

programme cover for Chelsea v Arsenal, Wednesday, 6th Nov 1974 Exactly one year on from Peter Houseman's Testimonial.  We played Arsenal on 6th Nov 1974 for John Hollins Testimonial.

A 1-1 draw.  Tommy Baldwin our goal scorer.   I always thought that the player's testimonial was granted scoring a goal in it  ?

Perhaps that was an unofficial agreement that began after these games were played in the 1970s ?   Just wondering !

programme cover for Chelsea v Newcastle United, Saturday, 7th Nov 1981   Sat 7th Nov 1981 . We beat Newcastle Utd 2-1. Our goal scorers were: Colin Lee in the 5th min and Mike Fillery in the 18th min.

A young Chris Waddle scored for them in the 66th min.   This was watched by a crowd of  16,059.

It was Petar Borota's last game for us.