Vintage Blues pictures and film

A little present for you from the Hereford FC forum. A "Your first Hereford game" thread has been started to kill a bit of time...

V Chelsea 76-77 I think.i used to be a big chelsea fan.i was 13.to see the likes of ray Wilkins and Steve finneston live was amazing.one thing I remember was genuinely eating for an action replay after the goals.2.2 it finished.i went regular after that.our dad who took me never went again.the Chelsea fans fighting the police put him off.you will never get this nonsense in rugby he said.i was taken in by the atmosphere.great times.

26 minutes ago, feelingblue said:

A little present for you from the Hereford FC forum. A "Your first Hereford game" thread has been started to kill a bit of time...

V Chelsea 76-77 I think.i used to be a big chelsea fan.i was 13.to see the likes of ray Wilkins and Steve finneston live was amazing.one thing I remember was genuinely eating for an action replay after the goals.2.2 it finished.i went regular after that.our dad who took me never went again.the Chelsea fans fighting the police put him off.you will never get this nonsense in rugby he said.i was taken in by the atmosphere.great times.

Is this a Hereford thing? 😁

This is out of a Hereford book.

6th November 1976. 2-2 Bonetti, Locke, G Wilkins, Stanley, Wicks, Hay, Britton, R Wilkins, Finnieston, Lewington, Swain,

12528 (2nd biggest gate of season after Wolves) - Finnieston scored 28 and 41st minute. Hereford had Tommy Hughes (formely Bonetti understudy), Dixie McNeill (lower league goal machine) and  (ex Saint) Terry Paine. The book gives 2 lines for each game...

Chelsea are firm favourites with seven wins in their last eight games but Hereford battle and teh Pensioners are happy to settle for a draw. Terry Paine returns after one of the shortest retirements on record and new signing from Wolves, Derek Jefferson, gives a solid display at the back.

The SB game was January 1st 1977. 5-1 Swain, Stanley, Wilkins 2, Finnieston. 

Phillips, Locke, Harris, Stanley (Sparrow), Droy, Hay, Britton, R Wilkins, Finnieston, Lewington, Swain 27720.

Sillett's troubles deepen as a training injury leaves McNeill on crutches and without him Chelsea give Hereford a first-half roasting. The pick of the goals is a brilliant 25-yard lob over Charlton's head by Ray Wilkins. Terry Paine celebrates his recent MBE award with a consolation goal.

9 hours ago, erskblue said:

That report and picture, of us beating, I mean hammering, Leeds 5-0, would make great T-Shirt.::clap2::

If it already has been, then cheers to all concerned:drinks:

There was a t-shirt sold in the Fulham rd that had the words of We all F”@king hate Leeds song!

programme cover for Real Valladolid v Chelsea, Sunday, 27th May 1951

Our 1951 close season tour of Algeria.

19th May. Beat Algiers Combination 2-1 in a friendly

20th May. Beat FC Wien 4-0 in a friendly

26th May.  Drew with Oran Combination 0-0 in a friendly

27th May.  Beat Real Valladolid 4-0 in a friendly

Lincoln v London In The FA Cup – Part 1 - News - Lincoln City

Jan 1907 at The Bridge.

A 1st Round FA Cup replay v Lincoln City.

11,883 saw it.

We lost 1-0 in extra time.

https://www.weareimps.com/news/2017/march/lincoln-v-london-in-the-fa-cup--part-1/

The following season saw City drawn at home to Chelsea and despite being offered a guaranteed fee to switch the tie to Stamford Bridge the City directors refused and the London club, top of Division 2, stayed in Skegness during the week prior to game against 17th placed City who spent the week partaking in special training with walking, sprinting and skipping being the chief forms of exercise.  With Arsenal playing at Grimsby in the Cup the GNER organised a special excursion train to bring supporters of both teams to Lincolnshire with the train stopping at Lincoln and then continuing to Grimsby.

Chelsea suffered two blows prior to the game as three regulars, Walton attending the funeral of his son, McRoberts through injury and Windridge through illness, were missing but they took the lead after twelve minutes through Jack Kirwan and had several other chances to increase their lead but it wasn’t until nine minutes into the second half that that did so when a quick break ended with Ben Whitehouse scoring.  City looked down and out and when William Watson was seemingly fouled in the penalty area but the referee waved protests away it seemed luck was against them as well.

With just a minute left though and with many of the 5,000 crowd (gate receipts totalled £145) drifting away Watson pulled a goal back and incredibly just 30 seconds later winger Norrie Fairgray put over  a perfect cross and Edward Dixon drove the ball past the ‘keeper to earn a replay.  The remaining spectators went mad throwing hats and umbrellas in the air and the goals probably meant the Chelsea players didn’t enjoy the visit to the theatre arranged for that evening as much as they may have done had they won!

City originally objected to the replay being played the following Wednesday (they wanted it played on the Thursday) as Fulham were also scheduled to be at home and it was feared the gate would suffer but it was eventually agreed to play on Wednesday and with Chelsea having won of their home League games the task facing City was immense.  The team travelled down on the Tuesday staying at the King’s Cross Hotel and, in front of an estimated 12,000 crowd (gate receipts were £364 4s 6d), had to withstand immense pressure with goalkeeper James Saunders making several fine stops.  An injury to Dixon meant City had to play with 10 men for a short time but no goals had been scored at the end of 90 minutes meaning extra-time.

The players began the extra 30 minutes without a break, although several players nipped to the touchline for a slice of lemon, and with two minutes played Fairgray stunned those present by putting City ahead and it was a lead they held onto despite the second period of extra-time being spent almost entirely in City’s half and with the light rapidly fading.