Carshalton Blue

Vintage Blues pictures and film

8 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I always heard Motty was a Chelsea fan although he has claimed to support Barnet.

Watched the Chelsea 6 -0 v Newcastle 1980 (truth be told watched it twice, remenicing) on BT sport's, and Motty says on commentary, remembers going with his dad to a game v Newcastle years before. Yes I always thought he had a soft spot for us. More than can be said for the current crop

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

I always heard Motty was a Chelsea fan although he has claimed to support Barnet.

Brian Moore was a Gillingham fan, who freakily went to the same school as Barry Davies and the cricketing commentator Peter West ( Cranbrook in Kent)

6 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Always found him a little bit sour think he was slightly aggrieved Motty got all the best gigs. Me and my mates said hello to him outside the Shed once he practically sprinted past us and made his way to the East Stand.

Yeah you're right on that one about him being aggrieved about Motty

Think Davies admitted he was a Spuds fan, just before he retired from commentating.

3 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Yeah you're right on that one about him being aggrieved about Motty

Think Davies admitted he was a Spuds fan, just before he retired from commentating.

I always liked Davies, particularly his way of commentating on a goal. He would often almost shout the words; "...and Dixon....SCORES!" 

He also tipped us for the FA Cup one year by saying he thought Pat Nevin would enjoy himself at Wembley!

But you're right Ersk, he is indeed a Spud. (He kept that quiet!)

7 minutes ago, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

I always liked Davies, particularly his way of commentating on a goal. He would often almost shout the words; "...and Dixon....SCORES!" 

He also tipped us for the FA Cup one year by saying he thought Pat Nevin would enjoy himself at Wembley!

But you're right Ersk, he is indeed a Spud. (He kept that quiet!)

And remember he commentated on that penalty miss by 'Wee Pat' v Man City at The Bridge.

Sorry Pat ! 

2 hours ago, forbzy said:

FFT: As a commentator, do you get accused of bias a lot?

BD: Oh... the moment a commentator opens his mouth and says something a bit nice about Team A, the fans of Team B think he's against them - that's a fact. 

JM: That happened to me a lot in the early-80s when Tottenham got to two cup finals. People used to come up to me and say, "We all know you're a Tottenham fan." I've had other people come up to me before games and ask, "You're a Gooner, aren't you?"  

BD: What?! 

JM: Yeah! The irony is - and this is something I've not been accused of but can admit now - Chelsea were the team I saw the most during the days with my dad. But once I'd started to commentate, you're neutral. 

BD: I was a Spurs supporter as a kid, but I went to great lengths not to give it away. If I turned up at a ground, I wouldn't wear a shirt or tie that might suggest it, and I don't think people could have pinned that.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/john-motson-barry-davies-interview-podcast-commentary-rivalry-motd-world-cup-euro-96

Found this interesting bit of footage from the FA Cup. Chelsea v. Birmingham in the 3rd round in 1970. Coppers scanning the crowd with binoculars for trouble. Chelsea playing in their away kit at home, but that happened a lot back them.

54 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

A bit later but one that sticks on the mind,,,

The late, Peter Jones was the commentator .

My favourite football radio commentator, who commentated on Radio 2. 'Sport on 2.'

41 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

Found this interesting bit of footage from the FA Cup. Chelsea v. Birmingham in the 3rd round in 1970. Coppers scanning the crowd with binoculars for trouble. Chelsea playing in their away kit at home, but that happened a lot back them.

Cheers for the footage. Enjoyed the commentary too.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

A bit later but one that sticks on the mind,,,

Remember that one, going to school 10 miles from Brighton, most of my school mates were Brighton fans and went to the cup final, Chelsea had only missed relegation to the old third division so my school days consisted of them taking piss as Brighton went on a cup run, and beating Liverpool at Anfield on the way, as Gordon Smith broke through all my nightmares rolled into one, what the f**k was Monday morning gonna be like if Brighton won,  both my parents wanted Brighton to win, as they were the  local club, and underdogs, as Smith shot I closed my eyes, reopened them to see Gary Bailey save my bacon! In the excitement I spilt a cup of tea and got a bollocking from my old dear for it going on the carpet.

The rest is history as they say as Brighton got stuffed in the replay and relegated, we signed Dixon, Nevin, Spackman etc, beat them twice the following season, as we got promoted with THAT team, and Brighton sunk to the depths of the lower league's. Now a days have no problem with Brighton, unless they play us. One final thing Ray Wilkins scored a beauty in the first game at Wembley in that cup final.

Edited by chi blue

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

The late, Peter Jones was the commentator .

My favourite football radio commentator, who commentated on Radio 2. 'Sport on 2.'

Fantastic commentator, and in our era Ersk with not much televised games, the radio was where we got our live football fixes, can remember it now, small transistor radio, crackly medium  wave reception, lights out, in bed listening. 

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Remember that one, going to school 10 miles from Brighton, most of my school mates were Brighton fans and went to the cup final, Chelsea had only missed relegation to the old third division so my school days consisted of them taking piss as Brighton went on a cup run, and beating Liverpool at Anfield on the way, as Gordon Smith broke through all my nightmares rolled into one, what the f**k was Monday morning gonna be like if Brighton won,  both my parents wanted Brighton to win, as they were the  local club, and underdogs, as Smith shot I closed my eyes, reopened them to see Gary Bailey save my bacon! In the excitement I spilt a cup of tea and got a bollocking from my old dear for it going on the carpet.

The rest is history as they say as Brighton got stuffed in the replay and relegated, we signed Dixon, Nevin, Spackman etc, beat them twice the following season, as we got promoted with THAT team, and Brighton sunk to the depths of the lower league's. Now a days have no problem with Brighton, unless they play us. One final thing Ray Wilkins scored a beauty in the first game at Wembley in that cup final.

Went to both games. Ray Wilkins was immense and that goal still sticks in the memory. The replay was on a Thursday and Jimmy Melia was giving it large about how Steve Foster would be the difference between the sides. After the third goal went in, all you could hear was 'Steve Foster, what a difference you have made'.

8 hours ago, chi blue said:

Fantastic commentator, and in our era Ersk with not much televised games, the radio was where we got our live football fixes, can remember it now, small transistor radio, crackly medium  wave reception, lights out, in bed listening. 

Agreed. I used to listen intently, hoping we'd be winning or at least drawing.

I'd take my small radio to what ever match I was attending up here in Scotland.

It was the last 10 minutes of the first half and the complete second half of most domestic games.

Very little televised games as you say. certainly until about 1983.

7 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

Went to both games. Ray Wilkins was immense and that goal still sticks in the memory. The replay was on a Thursday and Jimmy Melia was giving it large about how Steve Foster would be the difference between the sides. After the third goal went in, all you could hear was 'Steve Foster, what a difference you have made'.

Yes, remember my mates at school leading up to the replay talking about Steve Foster making the difference, they were right, not the way they wanted though. Football at school was a whole lot better after that and turning point, I had the upper hand from then on in the banter stakes. "Jonny Neals, blue and white army"

programme cover for UK Services Malta v Chelsea, Saturday, 14th May 1949MAY 1949: Chelsea Tour MFA XI – CHELSEA... - Malta and ...

Came across this programme cover

UK Services Malta v Chelsea on 14th May 1949.

We won 6-0. in the Empire Stadium in front of 20,000 spectators.

McInnes, Goulden, Billington 3 and Campbell were our scorers that day.

We played three games in a mini tour of Malta in May 1949.

14th May ,we beat Combined Services Malta 6-0 in a friendly

15th May, we beat Malta FA XI 3-2 in a friendly

18th May, we  beat Combined Services Malta 6-2 in a friendly

Thanks to bounder.friardale and stamford-bridge for info and picture

MAY 1949: Chelsea Tour MFA XI – CHELSEA... - Malta and ...

It’s a goal! Chelsea score their second goal after 14 minutes following a misunderstanding between Malta centre half Eddie Cole and goalkeeper Wenzu Gabarretta.
Cole’s back-pass resulted slightly wide from the grasp of Gabarretta and although the Maltese goalie managed to palm slightly the ball away, he could not stop Hugh Billington from slamming the ball into an empty net.

In 1949, Chelsea FC accepted an invitation to play here and the tour created a lot of interest.

The Pensioners had their fair share of supporters even though at the time they were not among the biggest names in UK football.

They had won few honours but at the same time spent most of their league career in the top division.

Chelsea came to Malta with their regular XI bar Roy Bentley who was away with the England squad that was touring the Scandinavia.

Bentley was not the only international player in the Chelsea squad. Full-back Danny Winter and Bill Hughes both played regularly for Wales while Goulden had also represented England in a 2-2 draw against Italy at the San Siro.

Chelsea played their first game on May 24, 1949. Playing with ease, they beat Combined Services 6-0.

The next day they met the MFA XI in front of one of the biggest crowds ever assembled at the stadium. Chelsea attacked from the word go and after only 14 minutes they went ahead.

Jones intercepted a back-pass from Eddie Cole to Gabaretta and planted the ball into the net.

The second half started with a bang. Williams centred perfectly for Billington to smash first-time into the MFA XI’s net. A few minutes later the same player rifled in number three.

This goal seemed to satisfy the Chelsea forwards and Tony Nicholl gave the crowds a taste of things to come with a great shot which Medhurst saved.

The Lolly Borg-Pullu Demanuele tandem was now working beautifully on the left flank. The crowd was on its feet as the Reds invaded the Blues’ penalty-area.

The seconds ticked away until four minutes from time when Borg weaved his way into the box. The crowd was already shouting ‘goal’ when he was brought down heavily by Winter. It was a penalty all the way and Bennetti made no mistake from the spot.

Two minutes later Salvinu Schembri placed one of his special through-passes to Borg. The latter passed to Demanuele who mesmerised the whole defence with a grand dribble. He hung on to the ball long enough for Nicholl to find position in the box before placing the ball in the corner of the net.

Everyone in the record crowd went home satisfied with the result. The visitors undoubtedly deserved the 3-2 verdict but the local selection’s late rally captured the imagination of all those present.

Chelsea completed their short tour on May 18 when they defeated a Sliema Wanderers-Ħamrun Spartans combination 6-2.

Displaying their best play, the visitors outclassed the local team. Their superiority was more marked in the first period when they built opened a commanding lead of five clear goals.

The final score does not in the least exaggerate the superiority of the winners and they might have made the margin even more pronounced had they taken all their chances.

Still, despite the locals’ poor show, the crowd loved every minute of it. Television was still a thing of the future and matches of this kind were a treat for all local football lovers.