Vintage Blues pictures and film

1 hour ago, charierre said:

Soccer - Football League Division Two - Cambridge United v Chelsea, Abbey Stadium, Cambridge - 28th August 1982 : News Photo

That's the stand I was in to the right out of picture. I don't think anyone paid in and there was a camera crew on top of that stand they didn't hang about and legged it. It was similar to Sunderland at home in 85 the turnstile operators just gave up trying to stop fans jumping over.

47 minutes ago, charierre said:

@bluehaze I got married that day

I'd been away with Chelsea several times as a schoolboy and seen us take grounds over with numbers but this was on a different scale. When you think they were a non league team till 1970 (they played Chelsea to celebrate that think it had something to do with Ian Hutchinson being an ex player) the ground just wasn't up to having Chelsea on the first day of the season. Official crowd 8,500 or something was just bollocks there were far more in then that although as I said previously not all of them paid !

19 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

Don't know if this has been posted but here's the highlights from the game at Maine Road in October, 1966. Chelsea won 4-1 but watch Osgood's reaction to the barracking he got from the Kippax Street (or it may have been to Malcolm Allison).

Ossie's celebration for the fourth goal, he'd get banned for weeks for that now.

3 hours ago, charierre said:

Ossie's celebration for the fourth goal, he'd get banned for weeks for that now.

Then too. When we signed Ian Storey-Moore from Forest, there was a big to-do with Cloughie and Derby who claimed he was a Derby player and they paraded him on the pitch at the Baseball Ground. Anyway, we went there in the league and Storey-Moore was barracked by the home fans. He score and stuck two fingers up at them and, as I recall, got into trouble with the league for incitement.

Osgood was always good for a laugh. We were singing something about Chelsea one time and he stood there conducting the Stretford End like an orchestra.

26 minutes ago, fitz said:

The Rising Sun Pub (now The Butchers Hook)  Fulham Road in the 1880s. This is where Chelsea were founded on 10 March 1905 by Gus Mears, Joseph Mears, Henry Boyer and the Landlord Alfred Janes.

uVL14tu.png

It's nice to read about the humble beginnings of big clubs. It really was the working man's game but there was also the Corinthian spirit that proponents of the oval ball game said would never transcend the class barrier - and there are those even today who hold that view. 

On 04/08/2020 at 09:08, bluehaze said:

I'll never forget the 82 first game of the season total anarchy. Pop Robson scored a great goal.

Medhurst..."He says he can't remember who he is"

Bumstead..."Tell him he's f**king Pele"

With apologies to the original donkeys years old Scottish gag.

8 hours ago, fitz said:

Arriving at The Bridge by Steam Train. The old Chelsea and Fulham Station 1933.

Z1rS4fq.png

I think this is the engine they used for some of the specials I was on in the early 80s when they either broke down or arrived late!! One occasion I was on a special going to Everton mid week for league cup tie 1992. Train crawled into Crewe and were told we were returning to London as we would get to Edge hill after half time!!

34 minutes ago, Richard P said:

I think this is the engine they used for some of the specials I was on in the early 80s when they either broke down or arrived late!! One occasion I was on a special going to Everton mid week for league cup tie 1992. Train crawled into Crewe and were told we were returning to London as we would get to Edge hill after half time!!

I went on the specials a few times in the early days of supporting and was always lucky, they were on time though recall them being very basic.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

I went on the specials a few times in the early days of supporting and was always lucky, they were on time though recall them being very basic.

Packed on like sardines too. Always a fun day out though the coach could be fun as well. Never paid to get a window seat in case somebody lobbed a half brick at you, which happened to me at Forest. I used to avoid the train going to Birmingham though as there were always packs of them waiting at New Street for the special to pull in. Blackpool away was always a good time and half of them missed the train going back because they were legless and passed out on the beach.

8 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

Packed on like sardines too. Always a fun day out though the coach could be fun as well. Never paid to get a window seat in case somebody lobbed a half brick at you, which happened to me at Forest. I used to avoid the train going to Birmingham though as there were always packs of them waiting at New Street for the special to pull in. Blackpool away was always a good time and half of them missed the train going back because they were legless and passed out on the beach.

Wigan Station was another ambush place.