Vintage Blues pictures and film

9 minutes ago, chi blue said:

In my top  5 as far as matches go that I have attended and I’ve attended 100’s

I was up at the 1st leg at roker park ,if my memory is correct scoring sequence went as this 1-0 to Sunderland > 2-0 Sunderland > sick as a parrott. For some reason the name dale Jasper rings bells in my head ,was that down to a shocking game or going off in first half with a injury after a fall ?  
midweek fixture with what seemed to me a full away end > no service trains  back after the game so ended up on a chelsea mates hotel room floor at the roker hotel .£1 for a game of pool in said hotel ffs ,it was 20p in my local in 1985 back then . It was quite iffy making our way back to hotel after game since we seemed to be going in different direction to where most other cfc was heading . 

miss away games like that living on the Edge after the game making your way back to exit point ,midweek night fixtures allways seemed to raise the anti no matter what ground you was at .

On 29/09/2020 at 21:25, Londons Finest said:

Bluehaze i will have some of what your on.......I have never said anything your suggesting. You sure you aint from N17.?

You don't seem to be the brightest saying I'm a Tottenham fan who's in the secret Italian police are you from E14 ?

The referee in the above picture, was Tom  ‘Tiny’ Wharton from Glasgow.
Nicknamed Tiny because he stood 6ft 4 in tall😀

He was a colossus of a man with a rare sense of humour. In one tense and tight game he arrived in the penalty area just in time to see the ball out of play, awarding a corner-kick.

Protests from defenders that it should be a goal-kick-were met with the stern rebuke: "I've just sprinted 50 yards to follow play.

If you think I'm now going to sprint back another 50 yards to take up position for a goal-kick you're off your head."

Edited by erskblue
6 minutes ago, erskblue said:

The referee in the above picture, was Tom  ‘Tiny’ Wharton from Glasgow.
Nicknamed Tiny because he stood 6ft 4 in tall😀

He was a colossus of a man with a rare sense of humour. In one tense and tight game he arrived in the penalty area just in time to see the ball out of play, awarding a corner-kick.

Protests from defenders that it should be a goal-kick-were met with the stern rebuke: "I've just sprinted 50 yards to follow play.

If you think I'm now going to sprint back another 50 yards to take up position for a goal-kick you're off your head."

Looks like he's got a jacket, shirt and shoes on 😁

Eii_8lxXcAM1W3b.jpg

59 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Looks like he's got a jacket, shirt and shoes on 😁

Eii_8lxXcAM1W3b.jpg

Looks like it😀

Tom (Tiny) Wharton OBE

Pictured in another mid 1960s game,  dressed in a very similar manner.

He stood ‘no nonsense’ as Alan Ball is finding out.    Sorry off topic.
Alan Ball gets a ticking off from referee Tiny Wharton during England's Home International in Wales 1970
Edited by erskblue
On 29/09/2020 at 17:08, ddrblue said:

That yellow/ green umbro 2nd kit has got to be the best away strip effort by chelsea todate for me ,it was that good i got one via the SHOOT magazine and think the full KIT set us back either £7.99 or £11.99 with postage and packing . I was as Proud as punch when i got it as you could not Get (b)ugger all CFC up my neck of the Woods not Even a scarf . Getting flashback to wearing it in the games class at School ,think i was 11/12 back then . 

I'd started taking my little sister to home games around this time, and I think it was in the relegation year 78/9 that I took her to the Norwich home match and bought her a really nice Chelsea silk scarf, obviously being a typical big bruv I made sure that it was in our away colours of the time. She had no idea that Norwich played in yellow and green and put the scarf away pretty quick as soon as the teams came out.

12 hours ago, ddrblue said:

I was up at the 1st leg at roker park ,if my memory is correct scoring sequence went as this 1-0 to Sunderland > 2-0 Sunderland > sick as a parrott. For some reason the name dale Jasper rings bells in my head ,was that down to a shocking game or going off in first half with a injury after a fall ?  
midweek fixture with what seemed to me a full away end > no service trains  back after the game so ended up on a chelsea mates hotel room floor at the roker hotel .£1 for a game of pool in said hotel ffs ,it was 20p in my local in 1985 back then . It was quite iffy making our way back to hotel after game since we seemed to be going in different direction to where most other cfc was heading . 

miss away games like that living on the Edge after the game making your way back to exit point ,midweek night fixtures allways seemed to raise the anti no matter what ground you was at .

Good shout about the night time aways ddr. A few that spring to mind for me are Birmingham last time we were in Div 2, Friday night for some reason and a really moody looking neighbourhood around the ground. Everton for the 2nd leg of the LC semi 2008ish, Joe Cole scored the only goal that took us to the final, long, long walk back to the coach that night, lastly Hull, same season as the Brum game, and what turned out to be our last defeat for about 6 months, we'd driven up after work (postie hours back then usually meant we'd be done by midday) found a pub as soon as we got into town and left pretty sharpish after the quickest pint I've ever drunk, went undercover in a hotel bar until near kick off, without doubt one of the roughest towns I've ever been to.

21 minutes ago, MKBlue said:

Good shout about the night time aways ddr. A few that spring to mind for me are Birmingham last time we were in Div 2, Friday night for some reason and a really moody looking neighbourhood around the ground. Everton for the 2nd leg of the LC semi 2008ish, Joe Cole scored the only goal that took us to the final, long, long walk back to the coach that night, lastly Hull, same season as the Brum game, and what turned out to be our last defeat for about 6 months, we'd driven up after work (postie hours back then usually meant we'd be done by midday) found a pub as soon as we got into town and left pretty sharpish after the quickest pint I've ever drunk, went undercover in a hotel bar until near kick off, without doubt one of the roughest towns I've ever been to.

I recall a Everton v chelsea full members cup or simod cup midweek fixture when the nights draw in early . Went in the CAR from donny with two other mates and parked up in some run down area ,which could have been anywhere in lpool tbh . It was  a 15 min walk to the ground which was type of OK on the way to the ground > but after the game which chelsea won going back to the CAR was as doggy / iffy as you you could think .

the turnout for chelsea fans at this game was less than 100 and more close to 50 ,i have never seen so few at a cfc away ,there wa far more at the Bolton wand game that the chelsea fans was banned from .

for surdeig was not a full house at goodison due to nature of the game ,but trying to act look as scouse as possible in other words looking confident and not lost when heading back to the CAR was stresfull . It was one of those games where you dont mind if CFC getting beat which inturn might make the outside of ground more forgiving ,but chelsea been chelsea went and won . 

i Wonder what the Lowest away following has been for whatever chelsea game within reason ,said Everton game must be up there ,and most of them was Northern monkeys chelsea 

3 hours ago, Shug said:

Clearing my attic and found a box of old programmes, some notable ones below

EC22553C-6BB6-4EC1-ACD7-7344873FF39D.jpeg

Football programmes eh eh eh ! My guess there is quite a few of us with chelsea matchday programmes of excellent condition boxed away and left up in far reach of our lofts ,atics or sheds and out of sight out of mind . Wifes and girlfriends will be chewing ears off and nagging all and sundry to throw out said Collections since you have not set eyes on them for 30+ years . 

This is the only time that you pull some programmes out to look throu and to let your lass know that that your still interested in them ,for them to be placed back into the tucked away storage loft,atic,shed. 

2 hours ago, Londons Finest said:

Bluehaze.. E14 is that orient.? You are a real gent......squire.

Millwall mate I just assumed you having a chav dog with a blue and white scarf you had to be from there you should go full Millwall and put a flat cap on the dog. Anyway that's enough I won't reply anymore you can directly quote me but you don't seem to be able to get your head round that do you Bamber.