Vintage Blues pictures and film

36 minutes ago, Londons Finest said:

Kermit the frog.........superb. I agree we sent agent Jose in and i feel they detected a problem as just when we could have got em relegated they kicked him out. Hopefully with the North London Scum he will succed in his mission of "make em die"

This Man U fella knows his football so welcome to the site. Though to this day anyone South of Watford why do they follow Northern teams ?

Why do cockneys or chaps from Home counties  or sarf of watford follow Northern teams > simple the ale/ beer up NORTH is of far more quality LF > it took monks 100s of years to Get the taste of beer bang on > then a few 100s years down the line cockney wide boys stuck a lemmonade in the top for the infamous match day first few drinks of ‘’ i will have a round of 16 facking lager tops landlord and two normally lagers for the two Northern monkeys walking in the door ‘’  two Northern monkeys > ‘’ ffs you lot need help ‘’ 

47 minutes ago, Londons Finest said:

Ddr they aint Cockneys. You do not follow Northern teams.............Beer up north i found sh*te, loved lager- guinness and a bottled lager......bottle always came in handy.

My opinion they followed Northern sides as they were glory hunters.

Remember at secondary school early to mid 80’s down in West Sussex, Brighton had large support as local team and most would go to games, I was the only one that went to Chelsea, the others supported Utd or Dippers with a Small handful supporting Forest or Ipswich, would be very surprised if apart from the Brighton fans, any of them go to watch there team or have ever been! As you said LF glory hunters. When my sons were born 94 and 96, all the kids at there primary school seemed to support Utd, as fergies great Utd side were in their pomp, now a days when me and boys walk down to Station to catch train to the bridge on match day, with our beers in bag for train journey! and full up after a fry up, we pass some of those primary school lads now in their 20’s and we always remark jokingly, I bet there not going to football today, my sons thankful they followed the family tradition  UTC!

On 15/10/2020 at 17:47, Andy North said:

I've often wondered who it was that Canoville was talking about when he intimated there were problems with racism within the team. I know Pat was aware of it but he never named anybody. 

I suspect you may get a few doubters.

I haven’t made it up. Maybe he opened up to me as I told him about the awkwardness of being a black fan of a club that had a large following of fans who were racially expressive shall we say. I also heard Keith Jones and Dublin cop it when I was at a game in the east stand with some white mates but this was by an individual who was immediately shot down.

Kenny paul

My apologies to you and Canners,. We thought it was clever though very few of us were actually Facists just loved Chelsea and we were white. You me we are all the same unless your not Chelsea.

Though i apoligise again as i did chant and stuck my right arm out. Though it was never ment,. Took a while for me old gray matter to realise it

Sorry.

2 hours ago, Londons Finest said:

Ddr they aint Cockneys. You do not follow Northern teams.............Beer up north i found sh*te, loved lager- guinness and a bottled lager......bottle always came in handy.

My opinion they followed Northern sides as they were glory hunters.

Glory hunters  as you just put it LF ,that aspect never really crossed my mind due to reason that i never really knew how the situation was with southern support for likes of man utd/ lpool etc etc . I had heard about the cockney Reds via Word of mouth but never really took onboard how widespread this eperdemic was down your neck of the Woods . If iam honest i could hardly look down at anyone for following a team who is not from your area ,but for sure in my case glory Hunter was never my reason since getting dicked by likes of rotherham ,shrewsbury puts me in the clear .

when i think about it there is untold amounts of chelsea from up NORTH different towns and citys all in my age bracket 54+ that followed chelsea and be interested to know why they all fell for chelsea fc ? They all cant give the same reasons as me of white srtipe ,northstand and Micky Droy and for sure the quality of Chelseas football back then .  Be interesting to know if the 1970 FA-cup reply win might have helped turn the tide blue a little up NORTH .

I feel we were always proud of what we were being Chelsea . It was and . . still is our love, passion, religion. We have and will die for Chelsea FC. To follow Chelsea ment you were special.

Fair play to you for coming  from North of Watford and following Chelsea. Yes i was at the 6-0 was at Bolton when flasher got that goal, was at Preston when the lad jumped the wall. We even have followers from that dive called North London. We are very considetate.

5 minutes ago, The Swan said:

I loved Joey when he was with us. Talk about a player playing with pride. He loved the Chelsea shirt. Met him once in a pub when he was a player with Micky Droy. Two down to earth blokes who cared passionately about CFC. 

Joey Jones > i have to mention that he went throu short period of running out onto the pitch just before games kicked off and went on a passionate run pointing towards chelsea fans   While chelsea fans would chant ‘ joey Jones joey Jones joey Jones in whatever parts of the ground > think the powers that be ordered him to put a stop to it . 

On 16/10/2020 at 07:10, chi blue said:

77k crowd for a mid table game, surely not, we only got crowds from 2003! “Where were we when we were sh*t”

At a guess I'd say that Arsenal's game was called off that day, so the breakdown would probably have been....68000 goons who just wanted to see a game, 3000 away fans and our regular 6000 which was all we had then (and now)

18 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

Leeds in red? I've seem them in all yellow but never in red before. They used to play in blue but the story goes that Don Revie wanted them to be as famous and as good as Real Madrid so he changed the strip to all white. Might be apocryphal but a Leeds fan told me that years ago.

Just a guess, but the game was on Match of the Day that night, and it would have been almost dark by half time, so maybe something to do with lighting etc?

Having said that, I've seen Leeds at ours for night games since, and they've always played in pretty much their home kit.

16 hours ago, ddrblue said:

There allways seem to be a issue within the ranks at man utd when they keep on getting bad results and the tide of whatever forward direction starts to turn > you start to read about a leak or leaks within the dressing room which inturn allways adds more pressure to the manager > things like the players dont like the way they train etc etc > think ronney was said to have gave out leaks once to help bring his manager down . There os Something quite rotten with Manchester United FC that  needs to be cleared out whoever the leaks are comming from . 

i just hope that Ole is still at the wheel when cfc play against them as that alone will give more that half a chance of 3 PTS ,but if United have a new manager installed and Even if it was kermit the frog or uncle Bulgaria the new manager bounce would give the mancs the 3 PTS 

When Wilf McGuinness took over from Matt Busby, there was no clean break. Busby maintained his old office - a situation that persisted until Tommy Doc's arrival in 1972 - and the senior players would always go to him with whatever issues they had, effectively bypassing Wilf. When things came to a head and Busby was reinstated, David Meek (a Manchester Evening News hack who wrote about the club) was fed titbits about dissension in the ranks. There was a big row on the raining pitch between the younger stars, led by Brian Kidd, and the older ones, with Kidd accusing players of letting Wilf down. There was a similar scenario when Frank O'Farrell was sacked.

I firmly believe Tommy Docherty would have brought the title to us by 1980 if he had been allowed to continue, but he too had to contend with Matt Busby's influence, especially on transfers. The Doc wanted to buy Shilton but Busby vetoed the move because he wouldn't pay the reported £200 a week wages. There are other examples. Colin Todd was another.

The current situation is nothing new but it has been amplified by social media. And you're right, there is something rotten and, like a fish, it starts at the head and works its way down. As for Rooney, his outburst in 2010 (I think) has been vindicated. We are limited by the idiots in charge who place commercial gain above all else. The recent 'big picture' affair was stopped in its tracks but it was really just to test the waters. The Glazers and Mr. Henry will be back with another offer and, sooner or later, they will get what they want. You can count on that.

2 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

When Wilf McGuinness took over from Matt Busby, there was no clean break. Busby maintained his old office - a situation that persisted until Tommy Doc's arrival in 1972 - and the senior players would always go to him with whatever issues they had, effectively bypassing Wilf. When things came to a head and Busby was reinstated, David Meek (a Manchester Evening News hack who wrote about the club) was fed titbits about dissension in the ranks. There was a big row on the raining pitch between the younger stars, led by Brian Kidd, and the older ones, with Kidd accusing players of letting Wilf down. There was a similar scenario when Frank O'Farrell was sacked.

I firmly believe Tommy Docherty would have brought the title to us by 1980 if he had been allowed to continue, but he too had to contend with Matt Busby's influence, especially on transfers. The Doc wanted to buy Shilton but Busby vetoed the move because he wouldn't pay the reported £200 a week wages. There are other examples. Colin Todd was another.

The current situation is nothing new but it has been amplified by social media. And you're right, there is something rotten and, like a fish, it starts at the head and works its way down. As for Rooney, his outburst in 2010 (I think) has been vindicated. We are limited by the idiots in charge who place commercial gain above all else. The recent 'big picture' affair was stopped in its tracks but it was really just to test the waters. The Glazers and Mr. Henry will be back with another offer and, sooner or later, they will get what they want. You can count on that.

"Colin Todd was another."

He was some player as I remember, and him teamed up with Roy McFarland at Derby is one of the best central defence partnerships I've seen in this country.

2 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Glory hunters  as you just put it LF ,that aspect never really crossed my mind due to reason that i never really knew how the situation was with southern support for likes of man utd/ lpool etc etc . I had heard about the cockney Reds via Word of mouth but never really took onboard how widespread this eperdemic was down your neck of the Woods . If iam honest i could hardly look down at anyone for following a team who is not from your area ,but for sure in my case glory Hunter was never my reason since getting dicked by likes of rotherham ,shrewsbury puts me in the clear .

when i think about it there is untold amounts of chelsea from up NORTH different towns and citys all in my age bracket 54+ that followed chelsea and be interested to know why they all fell for chelsea fc ? They all cant give the same reasons as me of white srtipe ,northstand and Micky Droy and for sure the quality of Chelseas football back then .  Be interesting to know if the 1970 FA-cup reply win might have helped turn the tide blue a little up NORTH .

Remember going to the villa park semi final v Utd in 96, and before game speaking to some Mancs and they said they couldn’t believe how many Chelsea they saw coming down from the North

8 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Remember going to the villa park semi final v Utd in 96, and before game speaking to some Mancs and they said they couldn’t believe how many Chelsea they saw coming down from the North

I only used East coast main line service to London kings X hence to say i was drinking with chelsea on the train down or back up who were going to pboro,retford , donny, York ,hull,braford,darlington ,newcastle edinbrough/ Glasgow . At away games i recall having chin wags with chelsea chaps from wrexham,lpool ( one only from lpool) Blackpool ,derby ,Sheffield,cheltenham ,Leicester . I dont recall ever talking to any chelsea from the bham region but it would not shock me if there was chelsea from that neck of the Woods . 

out of the smoke/ Home counties i say  pboro train station  had the most CFC bods boarding of off loading at that station . 

37 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

I only used East coast main line service to London kings X hence to say i was drinking with chelsea on the train down or back up who were going to pboro,retford , donny, York ,hull,braford,darlington ,newcastle edinbrough/ Glasgow . At away games i recall having chin wags with chelsea chaps from wrexham,lpool ( one only from lpool) Blackpool ,derby ,Sheffield,cheltenham ,Leicester . I dont recall ever talking to any chelsea from the bham region but it would not shock me if there was chelsea from that neck of the Woods . 

out of the smoke/ Home counties i say  pboro train station  had the most CFC bods boarding of off loading at that station . 

The MK coach would always stop for a few from West Mids and Black Country on the M6 if we were headed that way.

I was in the Spoons near New St 2 or 3 years back, when we won 4-0 at WBA. I got into Brum pretty early that day and a fair chunk of the blues in the pub were locals.

Edited by MKBlue