Vintage Blues pictures and film

52 minutes ago, Andy North said:

The press are after cheap stories to suit their prejudices on any subject.

I recall the Germany v England game played in Charleroi june/ july 2000 i think it was . When i got to that square in the centre of charleroi which was basically a cirlce with a big fountian in the Middle and bars all on one part with apparment posh looking blocks 5 or so floor High across the circle . What shocked me was that every small balcony opposite where England was drinking was a media platform from whatever countrys worldwide News outlets . 

All the cameras were just trained down waiting  waiting and waiting for the England and german fans to kick off going on pre match build up to the game from the worlds press . I dont recall seeing no german fans in Center of charleroi or on the walk upto the ground ,only time i clocked ze germans was inside the ground which was 3/4 english .

but going back to the worlds press ,we left before all the minor trouble has started which was via english club onto english club since i did not see any germans at all . When we was leaving the area a dutch TV crew stopped us and was asking questions and a couple of the donnywhites basically said if your give us 50€ each we will throw those plant Pots at that cafe/ bar window > the dutch pres handed the money over and had set up the correct camera views etc etc and the two donnywhites just walked off down the Road laughing their knackers off .

dutch TV crew tried to Ask for their money back ,they was told to speak to the belgium Police across the Road bearing in mind why they passed the 2 X 50€  across in the first place . You can just picture the headlines had the two said donnywhite launched the plant POTs as asked to .

54 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

I recall the Germany v England game played in Charleroi june/ july 2000 i think it was . When i got to that square in the centre of charleroi which was basically a cirlce with a big fountian in the Middle and bars all on one part with apparment posh looking blocks 5 or so floor High across the circle . What shocked me was that every small balcony opposite where England was drinking was a media platform from whatever countrys worldwide News outlets . 

All the cameras were just trained down waiting  waiting and waiting for the England and german fans to kick off going on pre match build up to the game from the worlds press . I dont recall seeing no german fans in Center of charleroi or on the walk upto the ground ,only time i clocked ze germans was inside the ground which was 3/4 english .

but going back to the worlds press ,we left before all the minor trouble has started which was via english club onto english club since i did not see any germans at all . When we was leaving the area a dutch TV crew stopped us and was asking questions and a couple of the donnywhites basically said if your give us 50€ each we will throw those plant Pots at that cafe/ bar window > the dutch pres handed the money over and had set up the correct camera views etc etc and the two donnywhites just walked off down the Road laughing their knackers off .

dutch TV crew tried to Ask for their money back ,they was told to speak to the belgium Police across the Road bearing in mind why they passed the 2 X 50€  across in the first place . You can just picture the headlines had the two said donnywhite launched the plant POTs as asked to .

This memory just flashed back to me from that Germany v England game > when we landed in Brussels couple days before the game in  Charleroi  You was handed a infomation pack about all the games played and train times that helped you with the travel round the games . 

Brussels south > Brussels NORTH > Charleroi > and in reverse for the way back after the game ,and most important trains were running every hour from Charleroi back to Brussels south all throu the night untill the miikman would be starting his rounds .5 of us was in a rented apparment just outside Brussels south station .

gremany 0 England 1 everyone is happy as owt with no stress wanting to Get back to Brussels south and plan was to go pub to pub or as in belgium cafe to cafe or bar to bar untill we hit Charleroi train station . Only been outside the ground 5 mins and not had one drink yet but Word been passed up the Street was > they are going to cancell all the trains back to Brussels . The train we got from Brussels for 2 hour « journey was absoutly rammed with England and normall passengers ,it was pure murder due to the heat .

so a type of panic kicked in with all the England fans as it seemed most was all in hotels in Brussels ,hence to say it was that type of quick walk step before you would do as you was going to Get dirty hands > i recall pointing out to all me mates and we could not stop laughing at all the England lads doing a quick step .

when we got down to train station it was pure chaos ,with 100s of England outside the front enterance which was now sealed off by Police and staff with neither of them having a idea about train times etc etc .

five of us climbed over a security fence and got onto the platform where a train with no end of empty carriages was parked up ,the platform staff had no idea where it was going ,we just jumped onto this empty train apart from a youngish chap with a Norway shirt on with his dad eating bannas > where is this train gojng we Ask > Rotterdam > then the platform was flooded with England lads boarding the train , we got sat down in our own compartment as the train pulled out to Brussels NORTH > south the gaurd told everyone .

its now about 02:00 in the morning as train pulls into Brussels NORTH  so we stay on said train ,after about 20 mins Police then come into our compartment saying Get off ,but we want Brussels south officer ,they drew battons and whacked us off the train ,off the platform and towards the exit with the Odd whack for good measure .

when we got outside the station the Street was empty but for 100+ riot Police with all the gear on ,helmets ,Shields ,battons > we tried walking by them to the vissable taxi ranks  they kept on forcing us towards a side Street and away from taxis . Lost count of how many times i was pushed via a riot Shield. Now there had been numerous media reports about the local turkish wanting to attack english fans and Even the Brussels Mayor shifted blame onto to England after trouble in the city after a beguim v Turkey game if  my memory is correct .

so the riot Police have basically pushed us 5 onto this side Street  round back arse end of brussels nord station > 2 donnywhites > 2 donny > 1 donny/cfc > then from bottom a massive mob of what turned out to was local Turks appeared and they wanted to say hello . Iam saying 30+ Turks donnywhites claim 33 + ,whatever it was not looking good for us for sure ,I don’t recall this but my mates told me the Turks was blowing whistles in what we now think was to attract Turks from other areas towards the sound of whistles ? Think I was far too stressed to take in the sound of whistles over the screaming Turks . 

Then out of nowhere a taxi pulls up alongside us in the middle of this street ,we all jump in and say Brussels south and thank fcuk driver , taxi drives off doing a left turn down another street and we think we are away Scott free > like fcuk we are as the Turks have jumped into  4 cars and are now on the taxis tail . We ask the taxi driver if we give you extra €s can you lose the cars behind us ,he went into warp speed and lost the car loads of Turks . 

to this day I/we still can’t figure out what was with this ,but I have a guess that when that train first emptied there must have been unrest with local Turks and English for so many Turks still to be milling about down the side streets and  the 100+ riot police all geared up outside the station . 

The taxi turning up at just the right time down a side street is odd aswell 

It was definitely a different world back then. I got my left arm fractured at Stoke by a mounted copper who was aiming for my head. I was 13 at the time and all I did was step out of line outside the station to get a look ahead. Some older lads were yelling at the copper for hitting young kids. I didn't even know it was fractured until I got home and our neighbour, who was a nurse, took a look and sent me to casualty. The worst of it was at school the next week when I was dragged in front of the headmaster and yelled at for being a disgrace to the school. I'd told a couple of mates about what happened and when I turned up in class in plaster, they started chanting 'hooly hooly hooligan' at the top of their voices.

Another time (same season), we'd lost at Chelsea 2-3 on the Saturday and we played QPR at home on the Tuesday. I went with the usual crew and it was a low crowd but noisy.Anyway, we were 4-1 up with 5 or 6 minutes to go so a lot left to catch the buses lines up on Chester Road. We scored 4 more. I got on the bus and a couple of blokes asked me the final score and I said 8-1. They thought I was taking the p*ss so when I walked past them, one of them booted me up the rear and called me a 'cheeky little sod'. When some others got on and repeated the score, the bloke that kicked me gave me half a crown to buy some chips on the way home.

On 22/10/2020 at 07:17, Shug said:

And we had most of the riverside stand that day too

I was in the Eric Miller stand with tickets bought at the bridge. We had a bar down below called the benfica bar, it was great in there before and at half time. First time I’d experienced a closed in area at an away game, the singing was so loud!

8 hours ago, Richard P said:

I was in the Eric Miller stand with tickets bought at the bridge. We had a bar down below called the benfica bar, it was great in there before and at half time. First time I’d experienced a closed in area at an away game, the singing was so loud!

I was in the open end caught the flu off work for a few days I'd only started a new job they all presumed I'd left. Bad crush getting in as I recall.

On 22/10/2020 at 08:17, Shug said:

And we had most of the riverside stand that day too

Never been to a Fulham/ chelsea or chelsea / Fulham game ,but saying that I recall going to a game at SB division 2 just before the Xmass period and on the 26/27 December it was Fulham v chelsea so I bought a match ticket after the game from the ticket office . I never went to the game due to train fares etc etc so missed the game . Looking at that chelsea on that away end at Fulham alone my guess it held 5000+ back then ?

i did go to a Fulham v doncaster game when that end was still a terrace maybe early 1990s ,but donny only had 300  away support that day tops and the whole terrace was open for our use . All the donny lit were type of the RH side behind the goal , I had had more than enough ales as all northern monkeys do when games in the smoke . No matter how good or poor a northern team is playing said northern teams away support will allways go up 10 fold if not more when playing whoever in the smoke > for sole reason of going on the drink all day in the capital city of the UK . They will spend rest of the year slagging off all things London ,poor quality ale ,ale cost far too much ,nowt moist in the chippys etc etc . As soon as the new fixture list comes out after checking out local rival games every  Lower league northerner will see when their team is at orient ,barnet ,Brentford ,Fulham ,palace qpr and book trains well in advance to said game . 

we used to run a book on who would get nicked first for a drunken charge as night follows day the amount of northern fans getting pulled for been out of their trees before or after the match enroute back up north is shocking . 

it was really warm at this fulham v donny game so a move across the empty terrace to the far left hand corner and just laid down with the sun beating down ,iam sure there might have been zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s coming out like a fog horn ,and 5 stewards were stood round me to wake me up and smell the coffee ,their stance was that I can’t fall asleep in this spot in case the is a emergency evacuation and fans will fall over me > my answer was but the exit is over there and why would fans run over me then turn back and go throu the exit . 

they gave me a choice either wise up or the Fulham OB will be called in ,i wised up this time .

20 minutes ago, Richard P said:

That away end at Fulham when it was terracing held a lot more than 5,000. I would go between 8-10 it’s quite a deep terrace

Thanks for that ,but like I said when I was on it for my only time I was a tad pissed so my judgement is all over the shop 

2 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Thanks for that ,but like I said when I was on it for my only time I was a tad pissed so my judgement is all over the shop 

If you look at photos they are at an angle and the end was packed the width of the pitch

Best support we had at Fulham was the promotion season in the 70’s, a 3-1 defeat around Easter.  Putney End rammed solid, took the Thamesbank End and filled it right across the back and about half of the rest of it plus the seats. Even my Fulham mates said when Chelsea scored a consolation goal the whole ground lifted. I honestly don’t know where the Fulham fans were able to watch, good old pay on the day and who gets there earliest. 

Quite often watch Fulham now as you can get a ticket. Have a soft spot for them as they are the other less known team in Fulham..

Chelsea is my love. Never had a problem with Fulham or hassle as they dont have the greatest mob, enough to give QPR a go thats about it. Besides they did anything when we went back to school they would of got an hiding.

12 hours ago, erskblue said:
Sorry to interrupt the flow. Really enjoyed reading it. Today is ,amazingly the 40th Anniversary of this game. 25th Oct 1980. 

‘Every picture tells a story.’  This was, and still is, a great caption on the old Scoreboard.

When  i clocked that score line chelsea 6 newcastle utd 0 ,one chelsea player came straight to my mind > Phil Driver > he was blinding in this game > please enjoy > 

Just now, ddrblue said:

When  i clocked that score line chelsea 6 newcastle utd 0 ,one chelsea player came straight to my mind > Phil Driver > he was blinding in this game > please enjoy > 

Great will enjoy watching this footage,cheers🍻

15 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Great will enjoy watching this footage,cheers🍻

Just to bring you back down to earth with a massive bump ,I will give you a chelsea dare or anyone no matter  of your age to watch this 6-0 game   > if your not from this era please sit down to watch it > 

8 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Just to bring you back down to earth with a massive bump ,I will give you a chelsea dare or anyone no matter  of your age to watch this 6-0 game   > if your not from this era please sit down to watch it > 

I thought at first it was footage of Middlesbrough hammering us 7-2 at their place, just before Christmas 1978. Gulp!