Vintage Blues pictures and film

Carshalton Blue

Anyone else reading Pat Nevin's new book? Cracking read. I didn't know much about his upbringing in Scotland but the way his Dad trained him was incredible. Still on the Chelsea section, just got to the bit where an unnamed player gets drunk on a pre-season tour in Wales and assaults Canoville, who is then moved out of the club while the unnamed player stays...I guess that explains why the team fell apart in 86/87

Just now, pamery said:

Anyone else reading Pat Nevin's new book? Cracking read. I didn't know much about his upbringing in Scotland but the way his Dad trained him was incredible. Still on the Chelsea section, just got to the bit where an unnamed player gets drunk on a pre-season tour in Wales and assaults Canoville, who is then moved out of the club while the unnamed player stays...I guess that explains why the team fell apart in 86/87

Sounds good - will have to get that. Wee Pat still one of my all-time favourite players despite some of the quality we have had in more recent times. Always loved a dribbling winger - sadly lacking in the modern game and there weren't many better than Pat.

4 hours ago, pamery said:

Pretty sure it's Speedie. I'm having trouble posting links but this picture started a convo on Twitter. PC more or less admitted it was Speedie in a emoji when asked about the incident.

27 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Pretty sure it's Speedie. I'm having trouble posting links but this picture started a convo on Twitter. PC more or less admitted it was Speedie in a emoji when asked about the incident.

I guess so. I looked through the squad for 1986 (it wasn't that big then) and Speedie seemd the obvious candidate. Nevin also mentions in the book that Speedie had training-ground fights with several of the squad, including Dixon, Mclaughlin and Colin Lee.

33 minutes ago, pamery said:

I guess so. I looked through the squad for 1986 (it wasn't that big then) and Speedie seemd the obvious candidate. Nevin also mentions in the book that Speedie had training-ground fights with several of the squad, including Dixon, Mclaughlin and Colin Lee.

But not this guy and I don't blame him 😆

On 22/05/2021 at 18:02, bluehaze said:

When did those signs come down? Never agreed with them going up. I'll always revere the 83-4 team and those two made a fantastic contribution that season and for a couple of years after, but they did damage their legacy, and we have far more deserving ex-players to memorialise.

I'll definitely be buying the Nevin book. An absolute legend in my eyes, and the star of that season.

On 27/05/2021 at 12:43, Backbiter said:

When did those signs come down? Never agreed with them going up. I'll always revere the 83-4 team and those two made a fantastic contribution that season and for a couple of years after, but they did damage their legacy, and we have far more deserving ex-players to memorialise.

I'll definitely be buying the Nevin book. An absolute legend in my eyes, and the star of that season.

Yes always a strange one naming after those two players, surely Nevin, Dixon or Eddie Ned, would of been better, THAT team?.....wonderful days

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I stopped buying football magazines when I was about 13 cause I started smoking why do I get the impression you were still buying them in your 20's @erskblue 😄.

Ha Ha 😀I would have been 13-14 when the team picture was in Shoot😀

Nah wrong about me still buying them in my 20s.  Probably about 15 when I stopped buying them.

My money then was spent on records ! 😀

I’ll always admit I enjoy reading. Cheers 🍻

Edited by erskblue

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

Ha Ha 😀I would have been 13-14 when the team picture was in Shoot😀

Nah wrong about me still buying them in my 20s.  Probably about 15 when I stopped buying them.

My money then was spent on records ! 😀

I’ll always admit I enjoy reading. Cheers 🍻

Same as programmes really boring I stopped buying them at the same time. I can't honestly remember what was in Shoot I remember the focus on and every player would say favourite food steak, favourite singer Rod Stewart and the two Rays Wilkins and Clemence had a column. The last football mag/comic I bought I can't remember it's name but had a strip about a keeper called the safest hands in soccer. I do remember about 1981-82 there was a football magazine again can't remember it's name but it was basically Titbits but with football.

It didn't last long but I remember flicking through it in Smiths and then seeing a topless bird I couldn't believe it ha ha. Started buying fanzines the Chelsea Independent was great until it went political I read one a few years ago it was very woke even for then nothing wrong with that but I was only interested in Chelsea nothing else. 

Posted (edited)
On 29/05/2021 at 13:22, bluehaze said:

Same as programmes really boring I stopped buying them at the same time. I can't honestly remember what was in Shoot I remember the focus on and every player would say favourite food steak, favourite singer Rod Stewart and the two Rays Wilkins and Clemence had a column. The last football mag/comic I bought I can't remember it's name but had a strip about a keeper called the safest hands in soccer. I do remember about 1981-82 there was a football magazine again can't remember it's name but it was basically Titbits but with football.

It didn't last long but I remember flicking through it in Smiths and then seeing a topless bird I couldn't believe it ha ha. Started buying fanzines the Chelsea Independent was great until it went political I read one a few years ago it was very woke even for then nothing wrong with that but I was only interested in Chelsea nothing else. 

Anyone remember the 70s football magazine called FOUL! I picked up a compilation of its best bits in a bookshop in the late 70s and lent it to a mate at college. Never saw it again.

It was hilarious.

https://www.soccerbilia.co.uk/acatalog/Foul---Football-s-Alternative-Paper--1974.html

Edited by Backbiter

I got a few programs and got bored though did buy the Chelsea Independent and Red Card from the stall holders. They were good for reading on the train.

I liked the Independent best.

At work once it became known I went to matches I started getting magazines and photos for free from the work crowd. I lost most about 4 years ago with a damp problem in the flat I was renting.

Never heard of Foul.

6 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Anyone remember the 70s football magazine called FOUL! I picked up a compilation of its best bits in a bookshop in the late 70s and lent it to a mate at college. Never saw it again.

It was hilarious.

https://www.soccerbilia.co.uk/acatalog/Foul---Football-s-Alternative-Paper--1974.html

It was before my time but I remember Mike Ticher one of the founders and Chelsea fan of When Saturday Comes saying it was years ahead of anything related to football journalism. Steve Tongue who used to be on LBC back in the day was one of the writers.