Vintage Blues pictures and film

Carshalton Blue

Everyone man and woman looks back at cringes at their hairstyles from the past but for John Dempsey that must be on another level 😆. Looking at this picture it looks like his hair was held down with glue and must have been like a trapdoor when it was windy. Up against Cruyff here. Dimitri Kharine wore saw bloody horrible tops.

E2gN0e2XMAQZf4B.jpg

E2AgOxjWEAAvPOJ.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2021 at 18:12, Strider6003 said:

I got a few programs and got bored though did buy the Chelsea Independent and Red Card from the stall holders. They were good for reading on the train.

I liked the Independent best.

At work once it became known I went to matches I started getting magazines and photos for free from the work crowd. I lost most about 4 years ago with a damp problem in the flat I was renting.

Never heard of Foul.

It seems to be one of those things that only I remember. I've asked loads of people and nobody has heard of it. It seems to have folded in 1976, and probably only had a tiny circulation. 

The compilation I bought had a picture on the cover of Chelsea against Carlisle at the Bridge. My first ever game at the Bridge was Chelsea v Carlisle. I'll try and find the picture on the web.

EDIT: Didn't take long. Look at the sub-heading for the book.

51oOL0WuR9L.jpg

Here's a review of the book:

The Editor's foreword describes his ground-breaking magazine as containing "the witty, the brave, the well-informed, the snide, the downright cheap....". That sums up this fantastic book perfectly!

If you are a soccer fan of a certain vintage you will recognise FOUL as the ideal antidote to Shoot, Goal! and Charles Buchan's Football Monthly. It was the first writing to strip away the thin veneer of hypocrisy, upper-class twittery and mismanagement in British football. Back then the greed and misbehaviour was mostly to be found in the corridors of power rather than on the pitch or with players' agents. As Brian Clough famously said at the time, "I've met a few football hooligans and most of them were in the boardroom".

This A4-size book is 128 pages of relentless side-splitting humour and visionary journalism targeting the players, managers, chairmen, booze-filled hacks and TV pundits. If the piss is there to be taken nobody is spared. The writing still sounds fresh, brave and uncompromising today, a full 40 years later. The layout and style are based loosely on Private Eye, with cartoons and press cuttings littered amidst the comic features, letters and superb editorials.

FOUL was the magazine that spawned a myriad of club fanzines in the late 70s/early 80s and indirectly led to the seminal 'When Saturday Comes' (still going today) taking over the 'alternative football press' mantle after FOUL folded - most probably sunk by the threat of a lawsuit or three.

A real throwback to the golden era of seventies football. Great stuff.

Edited by Backbiter

I enjoyed this as the lookback on the last 20 years with different mangers and players, some good goals, great results and player combinations you quickly forget.

Salah scoring for us, Ballack having a go at Huth (CFC) and Fernandinho trying to kill Cesc.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

I enjoyed this as the lookback on the last 20 years with different mangers and players, some good goals, great results and player combinations you quickly forget.

Salah scoring for us, Ballack having a go at Huth (CFC) and Fernandinho trying to kill Cesc.

All memorable wins. The editing is a bit jerky!

Posted (edited)

22nd November 1966. Hungarian legend Ferenc Puskas makes his final ...

22nd Nov 1966. Ferenc Puskas makes his final appearance in England in a friendly.

The ref  is the legendary Scottish referee. Tom 'Tiny' Wharton.

Apologies of this pic has been posted before. 

Edited by erskblue

11 hours ago, Boyne said:

Only played 13 games in season 86-87 and died at 32. Probably not the most talented player but gave his all. Shame about the dodgy shirt.

May be an image of 1 person and standing

One of the reasons I hate Bates as a bloke (put aside what he did for the club) when JMcN died he just slagged off his lifestyle and said his flat was a tip. No need to mention either the poor bloke was a alcoholic and how he lived his life shouldn't have been commented on in Bates programme column.

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Picture of Chelsea's Tommy Baldwin on the ball

I've mentioned this before but was in a club near Wembley before a semi-final of final - I can't remember who we played -and Tommy was there. One of my mates started singing Tommy's song. Everyone joined in and Tommy had a big smile.

6 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

One of the reasons I hate Bates as a bloke (put aside what he did for the club) when JMcN died he just slagged off his lifestyle and said his flat was a tip. No need to mention either the poor bloke was a alcoholic and how he lived his life shouldn't have been commented on in Bates programme column.

Good point. There was no need to mention that McNaught was an alcoholic. May have been several reasons for his drinking. I'm sure we all have faults, problems etc and we and our families don't want them mentioned in public. 

1 hour ago, Boyne said:

Good point. There was no need to mention that McNaught was an alcoholic. May have been several reasons for his drinking. I'm sure we all have faults, problems etc and we and our families don't want them mentioned in public. 

When someone dies can you imagine anyone's boss (apart from Bates)  writing on the works magazine/ newsletter this employee was a hopeless pisshead.