Random Players Thread

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I wanted to ask for a few thoughts on a couple of players, but didn't see the point in creating a new thread just to discuss each. I guess this could just be a bit of a thing for players who we aren't really linked to, but would like to discuss anyway.

So to start with I have a couple of questions. First to those who watch Rangers a bit more regularly than me. With all these goals he's been scoring, has Steven Naismith finally become the real deal? I remember watching him in Sydney a couple of pre-seasons ago, and I was really impressed, really tricky and creative, but I was asking a few Rangers fans about him after and they said he was inconsistent and maddening as hell. He's got 8 goals so far this season, including two against Celtic, has he turned the corner and fulfilled his potential or are we just in a bit of a purple patch? BB, mad mac I know you are regular Rangers watchers.

Also is anyone else really under-whelmed with Gregory Van Der Wiel? I've been watching Ajax a bit more this season, trying to work out whether he's actually an improvement on Bosingwa or just all hype. I'm leaning towards the latter. Quite honestly they have on paper a great back four at Ajax but they concede goals left right and centre and VDW is just as bad as the rest, he seems really inconsistent and to be honest not a whole lot better than what we have. He crosses better, but he just seems naive. Thoughts?

Also is anyone else really under-whelmed with Gregory Van Der Wiel? I've been watching Ajax a bit more this season, trying to work out whether he's actually an improvement on Bosingwa or just all hype. I'm leaning towards the latter. Quite honestly they have on paper a great back four at Ajax but they concede goals left right and centre and VDW is just as bad as the rest, he seems really inconsistent and to be honest not a whole lot better than what we have. He crosses better, but he just seems naive. Thoughts?

I have to say that I haven't watched Ajax at all this season to date. I know it's a pipe dream but I always wanted to see Philipp Lahm wearing our kit.

I'm high on Bertrand and PvA, but Lahm would give us the flexibility of a world class LB or RB. He could slot in immediately at RB with a CB duo of JT and Ivan/Luiz/Alex (depending on matchup). And if Ash goes down with an injury (knocking on wood here...), we could slot Lahm at LB and slide Ivan to RB.

Lahm is great, but he is Mr Bayern and Mr Germany. Then again I suppose we signed the last one of those didn't we :biggrin:

VDW was sent off on the weekend, meaning he'll miss the next match. It cost them as well, because they scored from the resulting penalty. I've watched a few of their games now, including in the CL against Real where he did ok. But he just seems to lack concentration. Particularly when he goes forward, he gets caught out so often. Myself I think he may well be the RB for the Dutch because they don't have anyone else. I recall Khalid playing there at EURO2008 and maybe even Ooijer. Either way I can't see him being the next guy here.

Myself I think that Maicon is the only real option at RB, in terms of improving what's there. He is there apparently for 15m because he hasn't responded well to Mourinho's exit, and Inter have decent cover. He is a guy who could be a real bookend to Cole and would finally solve the problem we've had for lord knows how many years (given apparently Ivan isn't good enough going forward.)

Also no takers on Naismith? Surely there are some 'Gers fans wandering around on here somewhere.

Edited by Spiller86

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see Schurrle's goal from the Bayer Leverkusen v 'Gladbach game last night?

Pretty special, especially given they looked like they had thrown away the win after they took Ballack off.

The two goals from 'Gladbach including one by my man Marco Reus were decent as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more from Marco Reus for 'Gladbach last night.

He is a special talent, the kind who is cheap and right footed and a playing on the right wing, the kind we don't have.

It'll be a great shame when the big club he moves to is Bayern.

Two more from Marco Reus for 'Gladbach last night.

He is a special talent, the kind who is cheap and right footed and a playing on the right wing, the kind we don't have.

It'll be a great shame when the big club he moves to is Bayern.

...while we finance the deal by signing a 32-year old Ribery or a 30-year old Robben!

Anyone seen either Iker Muniain (18 y/o Spanish winger, plays for Bilbao) or Roberto Firmino (20 y/o Brazilian midfielder, plays for Hoffenheim) play? Saw some people talking them up for moves to a big team in January, Chelsea's name included on both.

Another two goals for Reus last night. This kid is the real deal, he isn't doing this in Belgium, he's doing it in Germany.

I know I keep harping on about him, but everyone is starting to pay attention now. He needs to come here in January or else he'll be worth 30m by the end of the season.

Spiller, if you promise to tell everyone about Banega, I'll join your Reus bandwagon, too.

I was watching some videos of Reus from last season and wasn't sure what to make, really... I wasn't sure if he was being made to look good by being surrounded by players who can't control a football (I think Idrissou was a prime culprit) or if they were making it harder for him. Any performances I should look out for from this season Spiller?

You could be right about last season, they were bad until about March. But he pretty much single single-handedly kept them in the Bundesliga at the end of last year and hasn't looked back.

My liking to him was initially as a right footed right-winger (who seem to be as rare as hens teeth these days), but you watch him and it's clear he is a special talent. The pace he has with the ball and his ability to just make something out of nothing. He is literally one of those guys on a team who you just give him the ball and watch him do something. He's a bit different to Gotze in a way that he isn't specifically a guy who creates for others, he is a bit more of a run at the defence and beat a man or draw a foul kind of guy.

The best thing about him is that he isn't a Primadonna . He has all this talent, but he still tracks back and does his share. Kind of a bit of the opposite of what Banega was. But I hear Banega has turned a corner, with his partying and general attitude, I'll be interested to see how he does second leg against us. That said I'm not jumping on board with a Quid Pro Quo just yet. :wink:

Also if you want to watch a performance try last week against Hanover, the goals were just sublime and reminded me a little of a balding crock who now also plays in Germany (not to go too overboard with the praise)

Edited by Spiller86

Ive a feeling if Chelsea dont put a bid in before the end of next summer you will be mortgaging your house, selling your car, possessions, dog, wife and kids and buying him yourself :biggrin:

To be fair, from what I`ve seen of him (and its not really a lot) he does look the mutts nuts. The only problem is his team are doing pretty well arent they? Plus Munich will no doubt be all over him.

The reason I keep going on about Banega is a combination of things, mainly on the pitch as I must admit I don't know of the off the field things you mentioned. When he first went to Valencia he was very quiet in games and could never seem to take control of a midfield despite excellent passing, he always seemed on the periphery. In the last two seasons he's added tackling and a bit of bite to his game and is starting to shine a little more. He seems able to force things and create them from his deep lying position, which is something we seem to lack and not just that, this season his passing seems to have improved as well. To me, he seems the right sort of player to be cheaper than Modric and possibly better, too. Less posession based, but more creative. Alongside Romeu and McEachran we would have an excellent midfield set up in coming years. With Banega adding tackling to his game, it wouldn't even be as lightweight as it sounds. It'd also leave Mata to play on the left and Sturridge or Reus on the right... ok, I'm getting ahead of myself again.

I couldn't find a full game for Hannover, nor could I get a selection of Reus' involvements in the game so I was just left with a standard highlights package. He did impress me though, I must say. It'd be interesting to see how he reacts to a big move and how he steps up in the big games. In the commentary (admittedly it was in German) they mentioned that he can leave for 18m (I assume euros) and at this rate Bayern will be his likely destination.