Zeta

Chelsea v Bayern Munich (CL Final) 19/05/12 KO 19:45 BST

From across the internets, more people are prematurely celebrating Champions League victory as all but inevitable for Bayern after defeating Koln 4-1. Lol. Isn't that like handing Chelsea the trophy after defeating QPR 6-1?

What we would lack most is the pace and energy of Ramires for the quick break. For that reason alone , I would play Torres on the wing and use him for any attacks we would start through Lampard - Mata - Drogba and then Drog will have to find Torres .

I can't handle a CL final heart break another time and hope we win it this time.

Yeah looks like Bayern are already putting things in to place for the final, cannot say I blame them. Very impressive side, think we are going to miss Ramires big time.

Mikel

Essien/Romeu

Lampard

Kalou

Mata

Vs

Robben

Kroos

Schweinsteiger

Ribery

Müller

When you put it on paper like that, it scares me.

We'll go into it underdogs, but finals are all one-offs, and on our day we can win this.

hearing lots of rumours about Cahill now, not looking good and it will cause a massive problem for us.

Luiz will be fine, im sure. Did you see the way he was celebrating with the team?!!?!!!

Come on, let's be real. Schweinsteiger is just coming back from injury, and is not playing anywhere near 100%. Lamps is playing lights out, and so between those two, Lamps is the better player at the moment.

Kross is still a work in progress, and so I don't think he is much better, or any better, than Romeu or Essien right now.

Mata can best be compared to Ribery as a playmaker, and I will take Mata.

So, with that being said, and with the other players giving the edge to Bayern, I think it is a 50-50 call as to who can field the better lineup on the 19th.

Come on, let's be real. Schweinsteiger is just coming back from injury, and is not playing anywhere near 100%. Lamps is playing lights out, and so between those two, Lamps is the better player at the moment.

Kross is still a work in progress, and so I don't think he is much better, or any better, than Romeu or Essien right now.

So, with that being said, and with the other players giving the edge to Bayern, I think it is a 50-50 call as to who can field the better lineup on the 19th.

Alright, let's be real.

You're joking as far as comparing Kroos to Romeu or Essien. Kroos is better as it stands right now. He's younger, faster, and has more playmaking abilities. The one thing that Essien has over Kroos is more big time experience. Essien clearly hasn't looked the same since his injury. Having Gustavo out will limit Kroos because of the drop to DM but he's still very dangerous. Romeu is also coming back from injury. I don't believe he's 100%.

Lamps is playing lights out, but don't underestimate Schweinsteiger at even 75%. BS at even 75% will give us fits.

Of course I'll take Mata. I wouldn't trade Mata for anyone right now (and I'm serious). However, if we put Mata on the wing we still have the issue of tracking back and our wingers need to track. Mata is our best playmaker and needs to stay in the 10. We could put Studge out right with Kalou out left but that leaves a Studge/Bossy combo to try to negate Lahm and Ribery. Sorry, that doesn't inspire confidence.

We have the talent, and certainly the heart, but don't underestimate Bayern which you seem to be doing. They will want this as bad as we do and they have talent all over the pitch.

Edited by Arq

From across the internets, more people are prematurely celebrating Champions League victory as all but inevitable for Bayern after defeating Koln 4-1. Lol. Isn't that like handing Chelsea the trophy after defeating QPR 6-1?

I'm not prematurely celebrating. I agree with Schweinsteiger that the game could go either way, it's a Cup final and can't be compared to a game of little importance for us against a relegation candidate.

Edited by zippy

Schweinsteiger is just about hitting top form in time for the two finals and that is good news for Bayern. Schweinsteiger is the engine of the side and an absolute machine when playing well.

Schweinsteiger is just about hitting top form in time for the two finals and that is good news for Bayern. Schweinsteiger is the engine of the side and an absolute machine when playing well.

Personally I feel Bayern should keep him out so he can be in top form for Germany in the Euros. :good2:

Kalou may have been a bit useless yesterday against Liverpool, but the stint he put in defensively at the Nou Camp was impressive, so he will most likely start. I would't mind RDM putting Torres on a wing with Drogba through the middle, but I can't see that happening. Malouda will more than likely play, he has far more defensive qualities than Sturridge, even though Sturridge is 10x quicker than Malouda. We have to hope Cahill and Luiz are fit in 13 days or we will be screwed.

My dad believes that Schweinsteiger is a better player than Lampard, at their peaks. Right now he most likely is, but when they were both at their best? I sort of doubt it.

I think you're deluding yourself a little mate.

Schweinsteiger is returning from injury but by the final he'll have had long enough and I think he'll be a little better than Lamps at that stage.

I'm not sure if you watched Bayern vs Dortmund or either Madrid game? Because if you did your assessment of Kroos would be hugely different, he's easily better than Romeu and Essien on current form and I'm just thankful that he'll be playing deep rather than at number 10 tbh.

Mata is to be compared to whoever they play at number 10 (Muller probably) and is better, but then their wingers are much better than ours and Gomez's form this season has been better than Drogba or Torres.

My dad believes that Schweinsteiger is a better player than Lampard, at their peaks. Right now he most likely is, but when they were both at their best? I sort of doubt it.

I think Lamps' peak was better, though they're very different (Schweinsteiger is a deep lying playmaker whereas Lamps played further up in his pomp) I think Schwein has been underrated over the past few years and is better atm.

Not sure if Zippy will agree but, for me, Gustavo being out is a good thing for Bayern as it forces them to start Muller, who always has goals in him and will feed on knock downs from Gomez.

As for the midfield, is about who turns up on the day. Lamps could out play Schweinsteiger, Schweinsteiger could out play Lamps or they could be as effective as each other.

Kroos is likely compared to Mikel for the game not Essien or Romeu (assuming Robbie starts with Lamps and Mikel as the deep two). With that being said depends which Mikel turns up, he can be a monster that destroys attacks and keeps the ball with ease. Or he can be a moron that dwells on it and gives it away in key areas. Mikel has the potential to impeed Bayern well, whereas Kroos from deep could end up being Bayerns best creator.

Then you have the 3 further forward, likely to move around a lot for Bayern but with Ribery on the left, Robben right and Muller middle most of the time. I'd take Mata over Muller as he is, in general, more creative however Muller has more goals in him. Kalou against Robben? No contest going forward, Kalou for better work ethic. Ribery against ? Now that is the question. Could well be Kalou and Essien/Danny could be on the right. Could be any number of other options.

That is the one I cannot answer now, but I hope we do not start Danny, we need everyone pulling their defensive cover for this one and Danny just switches off too often.

Edited by axman2526

I just realised that we're playing this on my birthday.

I'm really concerned about missing Terry and either of Luiz/Cahill. I'm confident in Drogba's ability to get a goal when it matters but how are we going to shut them out?

That is the one I cannot answer now, but I hope we do not start Danny, we need everyone pulling their defensive cover for this one and Danny just switches off too often.

Surely RDM could convince Studge of the importance of the occasion and that being defensively responsible for one match won't kill him...surely? His pace could be vital on D. That being said, I'd really like to see Drogba starting with Torres on the wing. Not only does Torres have his nose for goal back but he's an under-rated playmaker, is good at hustling back, and has big game experience. It's time for RDM to go all in, especially with Bayern's weakened defence.

Surely RDM could convince Studge of the importance of the occasion and that being defensively responsible for one match won't kill him...surely? His pace could be vital on D. That being said, I'd really like to see Drogba starting with Torres on the wing. Not only does Torres have his nose for goal back but he's an under-rated playmaker, is good at hustling back, and has big game experience. It's time for RDM to go all in, especially with Bayern's weakened defence.

Well said. FloMo should be nowhere near the starting lineup unless the lads want to get knocked out

This is the lineup I would go for. (4-2-3-1 formation)

Cech, Bos, Luiz, Cahill, Cole, Mikel, Lampard, Kalou, Mata, Torres, Drogba

Torres and Kalou on the wings. Mata playing the number 10 role and Didi up front on his own.

Sturridge to come on for Kalou if he is having an off day.

Not sure if Zippy will agree but, for me, Gustavo being out is a good thing for Bayern as it forces them to start Muller, who always has goals in him and will feed on knock downs from Gomez.

As for the midfield, is about who turns up on the day. Lamps could out play Schweinsteiger, Schweinsteiger could out play Lamps or they could be as effective as each other.

Kroos is likely compared to Mikel for the game not Essien or Romeu (assuming Robbie starts with Lamps and Mikel as the deep two). With that being said depends which Mikel turns up, he can be a monster that destroys attacks and keeps the ball with ease. Or he can be a moron that dwells on it and gives it away in key areas. Mikel has the potential to impeed Bayern well, whereas Kroos from deep could end up being Bayerns best creator.

Then you have the 3 further forward, likely to move around a lot for Bayern but with Ribery on the left, Robben right and Muller middle most of the time. I'd take Mata over Muller as he is, in general, more creative however Muller has more goals in him. Kalou against Robben? No contest going forward, Kalou for better work ethic. Ribery against ? Now that is the question. Could well be Kalou and Essien/Danny could be on the right. Could be any number of other options.

The one we will miss most is David Alaba. Gustavo can be hit or miss and I would indeed rather see Müller in the side, I've never been totally convinced by Holger Badstuber either although he has improved of late.

Robben's work rate has been criticised but against Köln he amazed everyone by tackling back and was, statistically, our hardest working player in yesterday's game.

Its not as if Sturridge is purposefully neglecting the defensive side of his game because he can't be arsed. He just isn't a defensive minded player.

That said, I'd use him given our options.

Its not as if Sturridge is purposefully neglecting the defensive side of his game because he can't be arsed. He just isn't a defensive minded player.

That said, I'd use him given our options.

I'm of the opinion that defense can be taught, so I believe he could add that to his repertoire if he wanted to. Offense, on the other hand, often takes a creative spark that happens in a split second. Much harder to teach.

Just is not in his makeup imo, there are some players who just do not switch on fast enough to help back and Danny is one of them imo. Depends what you are looking for, for the game. You want to be more offensive? Ok use Danny, he has a goal in him (because of two things, he takes up good positions in the box and is a greedy sob). Or you can use Torres, also has a lot of offensive quality and will cover more than Danny but, imo, will be less effective than Danny wide (because he is rarely used there and is a forward, whether the main forward or second striker)

You want to be defensive? Play Kalou on the left (who mostly does track back well) and use Essien or Boswinga on the right (both have pace and a better defensive mindset than Danny or Torres). Or play Kalou on the right and put Bertrand at left midfield for a similar effect.

You want to try something different? Change the system, use a diamond or 4-2-2-2. Drogba and Torres up top, Mata at the tip, Kalou or Essien on the right, Lampard left and Mikel deep. Keeps Torres in his natural position, can even vary it to 4-1-3-1-1 with Torres dropping off Drogba or vice versa, Lampard dropping deeper and Mata drifting to the left with Kalou to the right, or vice versa for in swinging crosses.

All options to Robbie.

The one we will miss most is David Alaba. Gustavo can be hit or miss and I would indeed rather see Müller in the side, I've never been totally convinced by Holger Badstuber either although he has improved of late.

Robben's work rate has been criticised but against Köln he amazed everyone by tackling back and was, statistically, our hardest working player in yesterday's game.

No doubt our list is much more damaging than Bayern's, captain and leader missing for being a moron, our most energetic midfielder in Ramires and most dependable defender in Brana all missing, in addition to Meireles who has been solid in Europe.

Edited by axman2526

You want to try something different? Change the system, use a diamond or 4-2-2-2. Drogba and Torres up top, Mata at the tip, Kalou or Essien on the right, Lampard left and Mikel deep. Keeps Torres in his natural position, can even vary it to 4-1-3-1-1 with Torres dropping off Drogba or vice versa, Lampard dropping deeper and Mata drifting to the left with Kalou to the right, or vice versa for in swinging crosses.

All options to Robbie.

Something like this then?

397820_Chelsea.jpg