Scholes or Lampard

Guest effinmassivekid
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

In terms of their entire Careers. What they have done for their respective clubs and the quality of their overall performances. Then as much as it pains me to say it, Paul Scholes isn't only better than Lampard, But he is, In mine and many other peoples opinion, The best CM the premier league has ever seen. I remember seeing a doc about him and pretty much every modern day legend, when asked who they thought the best modern day midfielder was, they all said Scholes. Every one of them. And i'm talking about: Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Vieira, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (Fat and Ladyboy) Maldini, etc... Even at 37 he changes games with his sheer pressence of mind and ability to pick the perfect pass. Man of the Match against Southampton coming on as a second half sub despit RVP's hat trick. He's just a remarkable player.

Scholes is probably a bit classier but Lamps has been far more consistent with his goals. Scholes hasn't contributed for United with loads of goals in a season for years now. He is obviously a quality player but it always baffled me hearing the likes of ZZ and Xavi bum licking him. Erm....you're both better than him yourself!

In terms of their entire Careers. What they have done for their respective clubs and the quality of their overall performances. Then as much as it pains me to say it, Paul Scholes isn't only better than Lampard, But he is, In mine and many other peoples opinion, The best CM the premier league has ever seen. I remember seeing a doc about him and pretty much every modern day legend, when asked who they thought the best modern day midfielder was, they all said Scholes. Every one of them. And i'm talking about: Xavi, Iniesta, Zidane, Vieira, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo (Fat and Ladyboy) Maldini, etc... Even at 37 he changes games with his sheer pressence of mind and ability to pick the perfect pass. Man of the Match against Southampton coming on as a second half sub despit RVP's hat trick. He's just a remarkable player.

Agreed with all of this really - I love Lampard and at no stage would I have ever swapped him for Scholes, but when you hear so many top players speaking so highly of Scholes, it's hard not to admire that.

The good news is that he's almost 38 though, a testament to his ability and footballing brain that he has such an amazing impact even now, but he won't be playing for too much longer :D

For me Scholes don't come close to Lampard. I know I'm biased but you're talking about a player who in his prime was dangerous playing an attacking midfield role without scoring many goals (passing exceptional I'll grant you), against a player who is one of the best ever box to box midfielders, scoring more than most (top class) forwards, creating the same number again whilst rarely being injured and being able to tackle a bit. Where's the comparison.

Scholes is more able to play into an age that I don't think Frank will be able to because in my opinion he's not such an all rounder. He's never been able to tackle, so Fergie doesn't ask him too now. He's never been a prolific scorer (maybe for one season), so Fergie doesn't expect that of him now. He sits and he sprays passes around, he's very very good at that but so was Jan Molby!

People bang on about Lampard's failings for England and look back all rose-tinted at Scholes' time in the England side, conveniently forgetting Scholes was sh*t and got loads of flak for his performances. When Scholes was shunted out to the left to accomodate Lampard, by Sven, nobody complained, because Scholes was an abysmal failure. No sooner did that happen of course than Scholes retired from the international scene rather than fight to get back into the middle. Lampard is/was the better player. Scholes good, massively overrated. Lampard criminally underrated. No sooner did we exit the Euros than Scholes came out and said he would have come out of retirement if Hodgson had asked him. Well Scholesy me old mucker, how about letting the manager know yourself, what is he, a mind reader? Lampard was out injured. You never know, you may have even got a game. Jordan Henderson did.

I'd have to question the intelligence of anybody who can't appreciate the qualities Scholes has, but Lampard has consistently been the best attacking midfielder in the country for most of his career.

Ask a Man Utd fan and they'll probably say the exact opposite though. Both very good (but different) players.

TBH this is the kind of debate that cannot really be had on a forum where one of the players in question is a hero. It's the kind of thing that would have to be voted on by neutrals... However i'm pretty sure you wouldn't like the outcome :wink:

That just goes to show how underated Lampard is though. The easier way to get to the truth would be to play a game of top trumps!

Lampard

Seasons active 19 (inc Current)

Total Games 759 Avg 40 games per season

Total Goals 228 Avg 12 Goals per season

Most goals in a season 27

England Appearances 92

England Goals 25

Scholes

Seasons active 20 (inc Current)

Total games 699 Avg 35 games per season

Total Goals 154 Avg goals per season 8

Most goals in a season 14

England appearances 66

Engalnd Goals 14

All these figures were taken from Wikipedia so they could be slightly out.

Now take into account that Scholes has played his whole career for Man Utd the most successful club in recent times, and Lampard played for Swansea on loan and for 6 seasons at Wet Spam, who were hardly known for being the best team in that era!

frank Lampard is without a doubt the superior player over their careers, opinion is 1 thing, facts are another thing entirely!

Guest effinmassivekid

I dont think you can say goals make lampard the better player, considering hes played more games he plays in a more advanced position and more than 50 of those goals were penalties, i think scholes having around a 93% pass completion record over 20yrs is much more impressive as it means he's a more intelligent player, iniesta according to wiki has only scored 27 goals in his career and xavi has about 80 is lampard better than them aswell because of his goal scoring record ?

You didn't ask about Iniesta or Xavi, you asked about Scholes!

As I said those numbers were taken from wikipedia which only had Franks assists and not Pauls otherwise I would have posted those as well coz Franks make pretty impressive reading.

93% pass completion means nothing to me as most of those passes could have been 5 yards, which I'd hope any pro player could complete!

I'm not saying Scholes is a bad player, far from it, but he's not in Lampards class! If you only took Franks time at Chelsea and ran the same numers as above you'd see how outstanding he has been over the last 12 years.

Guest effinmassivekid

You didn't ask about Iniesta or Xavi, you asked about Scholes!

As I said those numbers were taken from wikipedia which only had Franks assists and not Pauls otherwise I would have posted those as well coz Franks make pretty impressive reading.

93% pass completion means nothing to me as most of those passes could have been 5 yards, which I'd hope any pro player could complete!

I'm not saying Scholes is a bad player, far from it, but he's not in Lampards class! If you only took Franks time at Chelsea and ran the same numers as above you'd see how outstanding he has been over the last 12 years.

I only brought iniesta and xavi up becuase you basically said lamps goal scoring record is the reason for him being better the better player, which probably means you think he's the greatest ever english midfielder because most footballers current and ex give that plaudit to Paul Scholes, Zidane Xavi,iniesta etc.. thats why i brought it up i wanted peoples opinon on it.

The thread is about lampard and Scholes! Thats why any other player mentioned is irrelavant.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that Lampard was/is better than scholes and I gave you some stats to back up my opinion!

I've also said that if we broke those down to just Franks time with us it would be even more impressive, fortunately for Scholes he has been lucky enough to play for Utd his whole career, so his early years figures are better than Franks, otherwise you'd be really surprised at the numbers. If we did those numbers for the last 12 years that Frank has been with us, he literally blows Scholes out of the water!

But if you don't rate him thats up to you!