Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Guest LuisSuarez7

Those fools at dipper land always play their players injured to the extent of players becoming sh*te before their time or having to retire early because of it.

Redknapp

Torres

Owen

Fowler

Any more?

3 of these players aren't retired.

Guest LuisSuarez7

You really are a clueless t*at.

Really. The guy seems to score here and there. Yet still, some fans are not happy? Even a mate still bashes him.

Don't worry Torres. To gain the affection of the Chelsea support, you must at least score 3 hattricks in a row.

Who said anything even remotely like that?

To be completely honest Torres does divide opinion on this forum in a bit of a marmite kind of way but I can't actually remember another Chelsea player that has ever received the sort of support on a match day at the Bridge as Torres. Despite the high price tag, the goal drought, high profile misses and the fact he came from your (horrible) lot he has still had his name sung at the Bridge every game and has never once been boo'd or given anything but our full vocal backing so please don't make such a sweepeing generalistion about Chelsea support for Torres based on the odd comment from a single fan on an internet forum.

Well tell me Wise One how is this quote of his not bitching.

Sure it maybe true. Heck people are even submitting names as to who the culprits may be. Anelka(GOLDEN BOOT WINNER), Malouda and the likes have all been named, when these guys have done more for the club than Torres probably ever will. Saying that he did not want to turn into someone who does not care is fine. Yapping about how there are players at Chelsea who do not care whether true or not is not something to feed the media with.

Always supported him but Torres' TALES OF WOE are just getting annoying now. Seriously needs to zip it.

I am not even sure he was referring to Chelsea teammates. In an other paper is translated as "I had many teammmates" which made me think about throughout his carrear rather than last year. In Spanish he probably said "I have had many teammates"

Edited by Killbill

Sure it maybe true. Heck people are even submitting names as to who the culprits may be. Anelka(GOLDEN BOOT WINNER), Malouda and the likes have all been named, when these guys have done more for the club than Torres probably ever will. Saying that he did not want to turn into someone who does not care is fine. Yapping about how there are players at Chelsea who do not care whether true or not is not something to feed the media with.

Always supported him but Torres' TALES OF WOE are just getting annoying now. Seriously needs to zip it.

I read that as when he was younger he experienced players like that, hence why he said he never WANTED to be like that, but while hes been here he has been so he clearly isn't talking about our players. Learn to read before you make ridiculous statements.

He doesnt say which team those teammates were at though. It is you presuming he is talking about chelsea teammate.

I would also add that the Telegraph headline Chelsea striker Fernando Torres admits he 'didn't care about winning or losing' last season is very very different to the actual quote, which is:

one day I discovered that I was like them, that it didn’t matter if we won or lost if I was not playing. I wasn’t part of the group.

What Torres is saying there in essence is that if he wasn't playing he didn't feel involved, felt left out. Spin it how you like, there's still a world of difference between the actual quote and the Telegraph's interpretation. Nowhere does he state that he or any other Chelsea player "no longer cared whether the club won or lost"

I had teammates that didn't care if we won or lose, because they didn't play. I never wanted to be that way. One day I discovered that I was like them, that I didn't care wether we won or lose if I didn't play, that I wasn't a part of the group

I think most people would read that and think "Anelka, Sturridge, possibly Malouda...", but as has been pointed out, he doesn't say these were necessarily Chelsea players, just players he has played with at some stages in his career. He admits he felt that way at one point last season and it shocked him. It doesn't surprise me that players feel like that on occasions. It's a problem at many clubs.

I remember listenng to an interview with Pat Nevin about when he first joined Chelsea. He played for the reserves on the first day of the new season (our 're-birth' under John Neal and Ian McNeill in 1983), and found out in the dressing room we'd won 5-0 at home to Derby. He was chuffed to bits, but said all the others were gutted, as it harmed their chances of getting into the side.

My daughter's at school and I asked her to translate the El Pais interview for me. She's too busy (and too lazy) to do a word for word translation but she did say that he never mentions Chelsea or any players by name. It's more a "I never wanted to be a player who didn't care and I was becoming that kind of player". She took it to mean career wise, not Chelsea wise. She also took the interview to mean that he wasn't playing, felt like he wasn't contributing and started to not care. That's what he never wanted to be.

She said it's all in the details/idioms/nuances/translation and if you're doing google translation it's absolute crap. To sum it up my daughter said: He said he was feeling sorry for himself, he realized he needed to get his head out of his you-know-what, he put his head down and started working harder, and it started turning around. Also didn't hurt that AVB left.

Here's the interview translated in English and not an English media translation.

http://en-prosa.tumb...-is-my-complete

Keep in mind Torres was going "home" to play at the Calderon for the first time since he left Atletico. It was a very big deal in Spain and reporters wanted to talk to him. There is still A LOT of interest in him in Spain especially his dark times.

Edited by Tortilla9

Torres often credits benitez in regards to making it in england, and we were set up perfectly for him, he also took torres off and gave him a rest quite a lot when we needed a win just to make sure he'd stay fit, so im not sure i agree.

Yes, I have heard him credit Benitez alot for his coaching and man management when Torres first came to England, and there is no doubt that they built a very good side with Torres at the heart of it.

But in that time Liverpool's other strikers were Kuyt, Crouch, Voronin, Bellamy and Keane. A consistently terrible record of finding another solid goalscorer (until Gerrard was used as a forward) meant a bigger burden on torres which meant he was often rushed back from injury or not rehabbed properly and thrown out there again. That was a major failing of Benitez IMO along with many of his other wasted transfer dealings.

He was tits today...another glorious shooting chance went begging and he took a week to set himself when he should have it earlier....he needs to do a lot of work on his close control and his shooting ...he still has a long way to go...

He was very good first half but second half he went to pot. Why he didn't just shoot just before the 2nd Mata goal I will never know. As it's said before, when he's given time to think about things he just loses the plot, when he doesn't have time to think about it his finishing is good. It really boggles the mind.