Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

I think Lukaku should stay on loan for the whole of this season at least. Even another loan next season would do him the world of good. Same for Josh. These players are not up to the standard we need right now but they do have the raw talent to get there.

I agree with that. He's not going to be the main man (neither Josh), so lack of game time will slow his progress.

I just hope we address our lack of striking options as soon as possible.

No one is going to pay Torres current wage, he will not be going in January.

Look at Malouda.

Am I the only one who has been happy with his start to the season, it has been miles better than last season and he has scored some goals and the front 3 in our side are linking up really well.

He's not going to score 20-30 goals a season but with Hazard, Mata, Oscar also scoring goals he won't really need to, I'd love another option other than Studge (he is certain to leave in Jan) but it may not be the superstar signing most on here are thinking.

Torres will re-negotiate his contract with a new team if we get Falcao. No way Torres will want to stay at Chelsea and ride the bench with the World Cup around the corner. He would rather go to Spain on a lesser salary and be the main striker there so he can get back to form and be selected into the Spanish squad.

So fans supported him when he was utter sh*t. Now he's scored a couple of goals people want him to go. He's not the player he once was but I think he's played pretty well so far. But he seems to be afraid of shooting on occasion which is kinda worrying.

I am a massive Torres fan but the main thing that worries me is how little he actually looks happy playing football, is this because he's at Chelsea or has he always been like that? Obviously when he scores he looks happy but when he is actually playing it almost looks like he doesn't want to be there.

I am a massive Torres fan but the main thing that worries me is how little he actually looks happy playing football, is this because he's at Chelsea or has he always been like that? Obviously when he scores he looks happy but when he is actually playing it almost looks like he doesn't want to be there.

I don't know about happiness but for me the main point is that he doesn't look driven at all any more. At Liverpool you could see his passion every week.

I don't know about happiness but for me the main point is that he doesn't look driven at all any more. At Liverpool you could see his passion every week.

A reasonable point. He smiled a lot more when at Liverpool as well, he doesn't do that much here. I don't think his heart has ever really been in at at this club, you can tell that from the interviews he gives and the kind of things he says, like "didn't care if we won or lost"... Sounds like someone really happy to be here.

A reasonable point. He smiled a lot more when at Liverpool as well, he doesn't do that much here. I don't think his heart has ever really been in at at this club, you can tell that from the interviews he gives and the kind of things he says, like "didn't care if we won or lost"... Sounds like someone really happy to be here.

I have no doubt that his heart's in it for us. I've never been disappointed in his work rate on the pitch. His mind and his legs haven't always been there, which is the real issue. I wouldn't be smiling either if I performed so poorly for a year and a half and had to come to terms with the fact that I can no longer do everything that made me a star.

To be fair, Torres was a decent, but just decent, 15 goals a season striker at Atletico. When he moved to Liverpool they catered to his every whim tactical wise and built a solid team around him, which is why he got the service so regularly and scored something like 34 goals in his first season. That's more than he's scored for Chelsea the whole time he's been here. I think Liverpool made him the prolific striker he was, and then he started developing an ego. But he isn't to blame for that. It happens to a lot of top players. He's come to Chelsea and it's been made obvious that he is a good player, but that is all he is.

I think Studge and Moses should start again. Drop Oscar a bit deeper next to Mikel or Ramie. Moses for sure deserves a start after yesterday. Although he should not shoot. Great crosses but terrible shooting.

Guest RFC_CFC

Studge was terrible last night his goal apart (which was a gift from a poor United back header).

Torres offers more with his link up play and crossing and will be fit, Studge just played 120 mins so all things considered I fully expect Nando to be starting on Sat.

To be fair, Torres was a decent, but just decent, 15 goals a season striker at Atletico. When he moved to Liverpool they catered to his every whim tactical wise and built a solid team around him, which is why he got the service so regularly and scored something like 34 goals in his first season. That's more than he's scored for Chelsea the whole time he's been here. I think Liverpool made him the prolific striker he was, and then he started developing an ego. But he isn't to blame for that. It happens to a lot of top players. He's come to Chelsea and it's been made obvious that he is a good player, but that is all he is.

Thats a good point, I remember when they signed him. I used to watch a bit of Athletico & never thought of him as the player he was at Liverpool. Benetiz really did get the best out of him.

Studge was terrible last night his goal apart (which was a gift from a poor United back header).

Torres offers more with his link up play and crossing and will be fit, Studge just played 120 mins so all things considered I fully expect Nando to be starting on Sat.

I agree with this. Moses deserves a chance, but Sturridge took 90mins to get into the game & doesn't work for the team like Torres has been this season.

I think you are being a bit unfair on Sturridge. He has hardly played his season so of course he will be a little rusty. You do have a point about the amount of minutes he played last night though. I just think he offers more to the team in terms of bravery and actually testing the keeper than Torres does.

I think you are being a bit unfair on Sturridge. He has hardly played his season so of course he will be a little rusty. You do have a point about the amount of minutes he played last night though. I just think he offers more to the team in terms of bravery and actually testing the keeper than Torres does.

Then you are wrong. I was there, and Danny was DIRE all night. One of the things we were talking about during the match was the number of times Wellbeck was back in teh left-back position, helping out, and then taking the ball forward at pace and very nearly always finding another Manc in space. Danny had no tracking back at all, and all night was trying too many tricks, flicks and impossible shots. Somebody said earlier, Danny's performance last night was the best advert for Torres playing you could hope to see.

Then you are wrong. I was there, and Danny was DIRE all night. One of the things we were talking about during the match was the number of times Wellbeck was back in teh left-back position, helping out, and then taking the ball forward at pace and very nearly always finding another Manc in space. Danny had no tracking back at all, and all night was trying too many tricks, flicks and impossible shots. Somebody said earlier, Danny's performance last night was the best advert for Torres playing you could hope to see.

Welbeck wasn't playing as a lone striker he was closer to a left winger. Studge isn't expected to track back. But I do agree about his inability to make the correct decision. He was once again constantly looking for a shot rather than giving the ball to someone in a better position. I find the opposite is the problem with Torres and he looks afraid to shoot at times.

I think people are being a bit harsh. He has barely played his season so he won't be up to speed and he was trying too hard but that comes with hardly getting minutes on the pitch and trying to impress to get a chance.

people are giving torres the benefit of doubt for 2 years but give up on sturridge over 1 game :laugh2:

can you guys at least apply the most recent excuse made for torres.. "he gets no service"... as noted he looked a lot better as the game went on, oscar, mata & hazard all came on around that time to.

people are giving torres the benefit of doubt for 2 years but give up on sturridge over 1 game :laugh2:

can you guys at least apply the most recent excuse made for torres.. "he gets no service"... as noted he looked a lot better as the game went on, oscar, mata & hazard all came on around that time to.

Well said and as I said above after he scored he was outstanding

But he didnt actually look any better. He was still pretty bad. He also got lots of service, he just wasted it by either shooting from a hopeless angle or just falling over his feet. Nobody is giving up on him, I think most here feel that Sturridge can be an excellent player, its just that right now hes not and he isnt giving us the best chance to win by starting.

People aren't giving up on Sturridge after 1 game. It's the same reason we got tired of him last season. He's too greedy. He has so much potential but his greediness will stop him from ever reaching it.

Difficult to judge Danny on last nights showing, as has been said he hasn't had a lot of game time of late and must have been eager to impress but I'm strugling with myself on thoughts of how best to get more from either of our strikers and I don't envy Robbie on coming up with an answer.

On the one hand I feel Torres definately needs competition for his place and don't feel hes done enough to be nailed on, I've said before that I would be giving Danny more time and although last night hasn't changed that for me it has underlined his failings and the same failings he had when I used to be on here defending the decisions to bring on Kalou in front of him from the bench.

Looking at last night it's easy to compare Nando and Danny's contributions to team play in general and fully understand why Torres has been an untouchable for Robbie but it really can't be as cut and dried as that, unless we are to bring in another striker in January its my opinion that Danny does need more chances and that Nando has to feel he has competion for his place.

I never really rated Danny for the same reasons he didn't impress last night but there is no doubting he has ability and he believes in himself, I haven't seen enough of him in his preferred position to judge just how realistic that belief is but my gut feeling is he would be a better all round player with a run in the team and I am more inclined to think that way because the Club have let go of Kalou and Drogba so somebody that sees more of him than we do must have faith in him.

I'd still play Torres ahead of him at this time but would definately be giving him twenty minutes a lot more often and see how he comes on, especially in the games where Nandos head appears to have dropped.

Edited by Chippy