abramovich

Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

What have you been smoking? Eto'o is by far a better striker and i would even pick Ba over Torres.

Uno…..really, Ba better than Torres.  Ba can hardly stay on his feet, he's clumsy and why we paid what we did is anybody's guess.  Torres was the wrong player for this club as was Shevchenko; we have a style of football that doesn't suit either of their style of play and we have never played that way.  For the most part we play for possession and generally we have a slow build up. I am sure you have watched Liverpool this season, when they have the ball the 'attack' the opposition as do City whereas we don't as we tend to be methodical.  If Torres was still at Liverpool he would have twice as many goals as he has with us.  Has he been 'pants' for the most part, yes but he hasn't been a totally disaster.

If we get a new top draw striker like Costa or Cavani, and Torres starts missing out on games to warm the bench, as I suspect might be the case, he will put in a transfer request himself. No lie. We all saw how he reacted after the CL win in 2012, it was the greatest night in our history and Torres was p**sy he had been left on the bench for most of it and was threatening to quit the club.

He does seem like a nice, down to earth fella, but let's be honest, he isn't the type of player to be happy with second string, no matter how 'past it' he gets.

We all know that Torres has been rubbish, but you're trying to make out that Ba is better which just isn't true.

Thats your opinion. I think Torres is finished as a top footballer, thus him hanging on for dear life with us because he knows no one in their right minds will give him a decent contract ever again and no top team will touch him. Ba on the other hand will leave and go to a decent team and score goals again.

Those saying he is crap are being harsh imo. He is doing the same that Sturridge did last season. He is getting very little game time so when he does get 10 minutes he tries too hard and makes mistakes because of it. Given a chance i think Ba could have been a good striker for us but with Torres at the club no striker will ever get the chance unless we sign someone like Cavani or Falcao who are bigger names in football right now.

Roman brought in Torres. Roman was chasing him since he was in Madrid. We finally got him when he was past his prime. He was burnt out already but Roman being Roman doesnt like to admit that he is wrong so the club have done everything possible to get Torres playing well. We have changed the way we play, brought in loads of number 10's to try and support him, changed managers, brought in Rafa and finally brought in the Special one and even he knows he cant get Torres back to the level we need.

This is the reason why i think Ba is a better striker than Torres. Not because of the Torres of past but right now if both players left Ba would out score Torres any day of the week.

One more point. Torres' attitude sucks! He doesnt care about Chelsea. Against City he didnt give a sh*t. He just shrugged his shoulders and cruised around. Now im not saying Ba does care but when Eto'o plays you can see he does care, maybe not about Chelsea but about winning. Torres imo is just seeing out his contract, picking up what ever cups we win along the way and claiming he has a major part in it. No Nando you are just a player that the rest of the team are carrying.

Can he? Two things usually happen when Ba shoots, it either ends up near the corner flag or he ends up on his arse....sometimes both.

And the ball ends up going through the hotel window.

Uno…..really, Ba better than Torres.  Ba can hardly stay on his feet, he's clumsy and why we paid what we did is anybody's guess.  Torres was the wrong player for this club as was Shevchenko; we have a style of football that doesn't suit either of their style of play and we have never played that way.  For the most part we play for possession and generally we have a slow build up. I am sure you have watched Liverpool this season, when they have the ball the 'attack' the opposition as do City whereas we don't as we tend to be methodical.  If Torres was still at Liverpool he would have twice as many goals as he has with us.  Has he been 'pants' for the most part, yes but he hasn't been a totally disaster.

Agree with the most part except about him not being a toal disaster. He has imo. An average of one goal every 5 league games whilst probably being on more than £150k p/w is a disaster for me. The transfer fee wasn't his fault so we can't pin that on him.

Ba has not been given a fair crack of the whip here. He isn't the type of player to come off the bench and win games single handedly, which is what his role seems to be, for some bizarre reason.

Edited by 1905.

Thats your opinion. I think Torres is finished as a top footballer, thus him hanging on for dear life with us because he knows no one in their right minds will give him a decent contract ever again and no top team will touch him. Ba on the other hand will leave and go to a decent team and score goals again.

Those saying he is crap are being harsh imo. He is doing the same that Sturridge did last season. He is getting very little game time so when he does get 10 minutes he tries too hard and makes mistakes because of it. Given a chance i think Ba could have been a good striker for us but with Torres at the club no striker will ever get the chance unless we sign someone like Cavani or Falcao who are bigger names in football right now.

Roman brought in Torres. Roman was chasing him since he was in Madrid. We finally got him when he was past his prime. He was burnt out already but Roman being Roman doesnt like to admit that he is wrong so the club have done everything possible to get Torres playing well. We have changed the way we play, brought in loads of number 10's to try and support him, changed managers, brought in Rafa and finally brought in the Special one and even he knows he cant get Torres back to the level we need.

This is the reason why i think Ba is a better striker than Torres. Not because of the Torres of past but right now if both players left Ba would out score Torres any day of the week.

One more point. Torres' attitude sucks! He doesnt care about Chelsea. Against City he didnt give a sh*t. He just shrugged his shoulders and cruised around. Now im not saying Ba does care but when Eto'o plays you can see he does care, maybe not about Chelsea but about winning. Torres imo is just seeing out his contract, picking up what ever cups we win along the way and claiming he has a major part in it. No Nando you are just a player that the rest of the team are carrying.

So what is eto being given right now then?

Let's face it we have always looked a better team with torres in it rather than ba. You can argue about ba not being given a run in the team this season and I tend to agree but that's because in there time available torres and eto have done better. Your reasoning for thinking ba is the better striker is strange to say the least. I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that if both players left ba would outscore torres.

The last point about the attitude thing is also a load of bollocks. You really think if he had a bad attitude jose mourinho would have him anywhere near the team? Jose has even said a few times he was very impressed and surprised by torres attitude. You picking him out for the game on saturday against city is poor form.

No you wouldn't, no one would. Ba should take up ice skating. Not good enough for this club.

On the falling over front it is an extremely close contest between Torres and Ba. Torres clearly extended his personal tally when he came on against City last Sunday.

The major difference between the two IMO is that one has hardly played at all and the other has had chance, after chance, after chance with very little tangible return. Hence you are not comparing eggs with eggs.

I wonder if Jose is trying to get Torres to hand in a transfer in the summer....watching salah come on before him on Saturday must have been pretty humiliating...given Torres is on such a large salary, perhaps the hope is he will be so pissed off, he will want to leave, rather than waiting for a club to do us a favour and make a bid

I wonder if Jose is trying to get Torres to hand in a transfer in the summer....watching salah come on before him on Saturday must have been pretty humiliating...given Torres is on such a large salary, perhaps the hope is he will be so pissed off, he will want to leave, rather than waiting for a club to do us a favour and make a bid

Thing is Torres is only just coming back from a month out with a knee injury so is he fully match fit?

Also we were getting slaughtered in the midfield against City so you can see the logic in bringing on a player like Salah to try and gain more possession. 

I think if Torres starts against Everton then he is very much in Jose's plans still. 

A new striker can't arrive soon enough though. 

The major difference between the two IMO is that one has hardly played at all and the other has had chance, after chance, after chance with very little tangible return. Hence you are not comparing eggs with eggs.

Key point for me. Ba has been written off fairly quickly without ever getting a proper run in the side. He was one of the in-form strikers in the league when we bought him, scored twice on his debut, and we've barely used him. It's no wonder he looks out of sorts and desperate to impress when all he gets are occasional 15 minute sub appearances. He's actually scored some good goals (9 in 20 starts) and turned the game when he came on at home to Soton.