Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Who is the best of our 3 limited options?

Ba is maybe the most likely to get a goal, but also seems to be less involved in games and has the least ability to link up with the midfield.

Torres, as poor as his finishing tends to be, looks more likely to score than Etoó and links up better with the team than Ba, though not as well as Etoó links up.

Etoó, United aside, is back to his "could not hit the broadside of a barn with a banjo" phase but seems to bring others in to games the best of our forwards, working better with less space.

Maybe a simplistic look at it but is how it seems to be.

pretty good appraisal of our current options, on the balance of what I've seen, I'd say Eto'o brings the most to the table, that said I do think Jose gets it right more often than not and would be happy to let him juggle about as he feels fit.

pretty good appraisal of our current options, on the balance of what I've seen, I'd say Eto'o brings the most to the table, that said I do think Jose gets it right more often than not and would be happy to let him juggle about as he feels fit.

Agreed. In Jose I trust. Remember the Man City EPL match? Jose had Oscar on the bench & everyone at the time was second guessing that decision. Guess what Jose got it right. I think Jose knows when to put our players in a position to succeed more times than not. Torres was hit & miss vs Fulcrap, but he did setup the last for Schurrle. For him to get that assist, he had to win a header against a player that was taller than him. So he might be scoring on the time, he is putting in a shift & that is all as fans can ask for. Yes he will miss some sitters & yes he will score some goals. He is hot & cold w/ CFC.

I think Torres links the play up better and can create more chances for OTHER players but he cannot create chances himself. Eto'o doesn't link up as well but is able to create something out of nothing.

Jose has it right. Eto'o at home (generally when there's a lack of space) and Torres away (when theres more space).

You make him sound almost Zolaesque but it is complete rubbish. He doesn't bring others into the game, what does that even mean? His ability to hold the ball up with defenders on him is usually terrible, his first touch is woefully inconsistent and as we saw for the second goal yesterday his movement along the line to make himself an outlet is awful.

To be fair he does win his share of aerial flick ons and if that is what you mean by bringing others into the game then OK, but I think you're judging him with very, very blue tinted glasses.

Zolaesque? Have I said anywhere that he is the greatest player to pull on a blue shirt? No. What I meant, which I figured was pretty easy to understand, was that his drawing defenders away from Hazard, Oscar, Schürrle and Willian helps them run further with the ball. It's not just Torres either. Eto'o does it, Ba when he gets a chance, the midfielders do it for each other. It's the game plan we have. No one individual stars week in week out, not even Hazard EVERY single game. The players work for each other...and the fact that we're top says it all.

Either way he shouldve scored that

A better striker wouldve finished it

He had limited space to work with and the defender just got there at the right time. I call that good defending rather than a bad miss. Not everything has to be so terrible, even when it's a player everyone likes to pick on (eg. Torres). As I said, at the end of the day, Torres put in a shift, we won and we're top. So whatever's happening, including in attack, is working.

There arent anymore excuses for Torres, every excuse possible has been made. The only thing we can hope for is when he plays he actually tries. Its easier said than done to not get annoyed because when he tried to shoot the other day when he should have passed it pissed me off but then i calmed down and thought yep, thats Torres for you. Hopefully in the summer we will move him and and we wont have the same thing next year as we have had for the last 3 years.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, that contract will be run down to the last day if you ask me. He's winning trophies here and there, earning a complete fortune, something he clearly wont get elsewhere.

Edited by Zola

I totally agree with you there Zola but i hope that Chelsea will do what they did with Crespo and Sheva and just loan him out and pay part of his wages until his contact runs out. Hopefully with FFP it would be better to get at least part of his wages paid instead of him being at our club and taking up squad space and maybe holding back strikers that can actually do a decent job.

For the good of the club he has to go.

I have more faith in Torres than I do with Eto'o or Ba honestly. Call me crazy, but I think he's our best option.

You're Crazy. But you're also right!

Guest RFC_CFC

There arent anymore excuses for Torres, every excuse possible has been made. The only thing we can hope for is when he plays he actually tries. Its easier said than done to not get annoyed because when he tried to shoot the other day when he should have passed it pissed me off but then i calmed down and thought yep, thats Torres for you. Hopefully in the summer we will move him and and we wont have the same thing next year as we have had for the last 3 years.

If he passed instead of shooting he would have got slated if the pass never materialised.

He's a striker of course he's going to shoot!

The thing is eveyrone is annoyed that he has been a great big flop and some even still try to compare him to what he was (it's never going to happen). His perfromance at the weekend was good, he set up a goal and did a power of work while he had one header blocked on the line and another shot very well saved.

Yes he shouldn't be here anymore and yes he's a waste of money but at the end of the day he's a Chelsea player and some need to remember that on here. You honestly don't need to slate the guy every single game and especailly not games he does well in.

He is the better option at the minute which tells you our strikforce is as feeble as a toddlers jab but it is what it is.

Guest RFC_CFC

There is a difference between doing well and Torres doing well. Schurrle did well. Torres did ok for Torres.

In your eyes.

Schurrle didn't do well, he was exceptional in the second half.

Look continue on in your crusade to slate Torres, it has no baring on me it's just sad a Chelsea supporter feels the need to bring it up ALL the time.

You are so right!!!!

It has no baring on you so why bother posting about it?

I dont believe in just because someone plays for Chelsea that they deserve our full support. Torres has failed yet is still picked nearly every week when fit. I just cant be happy with that at all. I want what is best for Chelsea and that is Torres to be sold.

I dont believe in just because someone plays for Chelsea that they deserve our full support. 

That is one of the w**kiest things you have posted on this forum in a long line of w**ky things under different pseudonyms.  You should be ashamed of even thinking that, let alone posting it.

That is one of the w**kiest things you have posted on this forum in a long line of w**ky things under different pseudonyms.  You should be ashamed of even thinking that, let alone posting it.

I would agree with him. It really depends on the situation though. I mean, if Lee Hughes signed for us, would you support him? I know I wouldn't.

I would agree with him. It really depends on the situation though. I mean, if Lee Hughes signed for us, would you support him? I know I wouldn't.

As you said, depends on the situation. Theres one thing to not support someone like Lee Hughes, its quite another to refuse to cheer for a player because you think he sucks or isnt good enough. 

You are so right!!!!

It has no baring on you so why bother posting about it?

I dont believe in just because someone plays for Chelsea that they deserve our full support. Torres has failed yet is still picked nearly every week when fit. I just cant be happy with that at all. I want what is best for Chelsea and that is Torres to be sold.

What a cock!

Bet you cheered that europa league win last year that he massively contributed to or that champions league win. I'm sure I probably don't need to say this but hope you stay away from stamford bridge on matchdays. Sure you do anyway so no problems there!

I think everybody has in terms of knowing he wont be the Torres of Liverpool but that's not the point.He still plays for us and still works hard every game and the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Sorry Super Jack but i cant really agree with that. I think more often than not he doesnt work that hard. If something goes against him he will tend to sulk for the rest of the game.