Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

He's not been what we want so far, but to say hes been crap for 2 years every time he's played is just unfair. Drogba was hardly everyone's cup of tea in his first two years at the club then he went on to be such a maverick. Torres may still become a strong player for us not to the level Didier was but still improve.

Okay he's been crap almost every time he's played for us. Starting with his debut. What does he have to show for his two years at Chelsea? The Barcelona goal, winning a corner against Bayern, the odd goal here and there in between long spells without one, and that's about it. Even in his first two seasons here Drogba contributed substantially more than Torres, and he didn't get anywhere near as much leeway from the fans.

50m for a striker who's only scored 14 EPL goals in 66 matches as opposed to RVP who's scored 16 EPL goals in 21 matches mad.gif

That damning statistic doesn't even tell half the story.

Closer inspection of those 14 goals will tell you that he has only scored against decent opponents twice.

Edit: Before someone mentions Barcelona, we are talking EPL games since he joined us.

Edited by Davey Baby

Closer inspection of those 14 goals will tell you that he has only scored against decent opponents twice.

Edit: Before someone mentions Barcelona, we are talking EPL games since he joined us.

I'm guessing its Man Utd when we lost 3-1 at Old Trafford last season and that included his infamous miss and Arsenal at the Emirates. We won that match 2-1 this season. 

The sooner Torrid leaves the better ... he's divided this Club & us, the supporters like no other! ... Personally, I think he's holding the Team back 'big time' ... The continued constant favourtism shown by the Club towards him MUST be dividing/destroying the dressing room. I know I'm sick of it! The occasional & I mean occasional good game AIN'T good enough ... Generally, for most of the time he has been piss poor ... a massive disappointment ... full stop!

Edited by cfcblue

Nordsjælland(2); Leicester(2); QPR; Genk(2); Wolves; 

About half of his goals against the worst teams we have played over the course of the last two years in all competitions. Those are usually teams where we rotate the senior players and give youngsters time on the field. Sturridge had starts 3-4 years ago against Zhilina; Watford; Preston; Portsmouth; Ipswich; from which he had 8 goals as well. 

Edited by Las7

I've got nothing against the guy and I've always been a fan of him, but the time has come where Fernando's future must be reviewed at Chelsea sooner rather than later. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we signed Falcao and we swapped him for Torres plus a substantial fee to go with that. 

The save from Cesar was very good goal keeping 1 of the first things goalies are taught is in situations like that make yourself as big as possible & that's what Cesar did!

When it came to him I knew he was going to miss.

Can you ever remember feeling that way with Zola, Vialli, Flo, JFH, Gudjohnsen, Crespo, Didi, Anelka, Kalou or Sheva in a similar situation? I can't. (the list of strikers you remember playing for us is likely much, much longer but the point stands really)

It may have been a good save, but he should have had the composure to place it better or just smash it into the roof of the net when the keeper's down. Too often he just hits the ball straight at the keeper.

Edited by Samdwich

Here are the stats for some of the best strikers in the world as opposed to Torres:

Fernando Torres' Chelsea career:

EPL: 66 games, 14 goals

All Competitions: 99 games, 26 goals

Robin Van Persie's last two seasons:

EPL: 59 games, 46 goals

All Competitions: 73 games, 56 goals

Radamel Falcao's last two seasons:

La Liga: 49 games, 42 goals

All Competitions: 66 games, 56 goals

Demba Ba's last two seasons:

EPL: 54 games, 29 goals

All Competitions: 58 games, 29 goals

Fernando Torres' Liverpool career (Spanning over 3 1/2 seasons):

EPL: 102 games, 65 goals

All Competitions: 142 games, 81 goals

I've only seen the highlights so I can't give a proper review, but the worst part of his play was not reacting when the ball came to him at a corner!

The save from Cesar was very good goal keeping 1 of the first things goalies are taught is in situations like that make yourself as big as possible & that's what Cesar did!

The save was really what is expected from any keeper i think, Torres just smacked the ball right into the area Cesar was going, if he didn't save that it would have been a howler. If Torres hit it low and hard to the left it would have been unstopable, he should look at Lampard's offside goal as an example of how he should be finishing.

pathetic display again...kept quiet by two players in their mid-30s, just a few days after they were torn to shreds by Suarez...fed up of playing with 10 men every week...wishful thinking, but Ba should start every big game and he should be relegated to back-up striker getting run outs in minor matches 

I never thought he should get much credit for that barca goal, he had the freedom of the nou camp ffs...let's be honest when he ran through on valdes we all thought he was going to fcuk it up somehow and part of the celebration was not just cos chelsea were through, it was amazement he'd actually scored it

Drogba's first two seasons:

EPL: 55 games, 22 goals

All Competitions: 82 games, 32 goals

Torres in all seasons (Equivalent of two seasons):

EPL: 66 games, 14 goals

All Competitions: 99 games, 26 goals

Drogba scored important goals in important games, against bigger teams than the pointless lap of honour goals torres has been scoring when game's have been sewn up.

Like someone posted before, those statistics only tell half the tale.

Even when Drogba wasn't scoring he contributed to the team most games in terms of linking up play, holding the ball up, creating space for team mates and keeping defenders busy.

The last two games I've noticed Torres actually gets in the way, running towards Oscar who is dribbling at a defender instead of running into space and giving the defender something to think about. Its actually looked like schoolboy stuff where the kid is attracted to the ball and f**ks everything up

He's never around to pounce on a rebound, always on his heels watching the match. He's a spectator. He comes out of hiding when things are going well but when it matters he doesn't have the bottle

Strange game tonight. I don't think I have ever been to a game before where both sides played without a recognised centre-forward.

Did you notice, yet again, how many times he moved out wide? It's like an involuntary twitch.

It's called cowardice.

He is hiding from responsibility. A striker that doesn't want the ball,nothing can be worse than that, he's a total loser and we've been stuck with him and his stinking attitude for two years now. Ship him out and get anybody, I mean anybody else to lead the line.

The whole team eventually lost belief in itself with that clown upfront. The moment we get rid of Torres, we need to hire a cleaning crew to disinfect the dressing room at the Bridge and get that defeatist stink off the club forever.

Edited by abramovich

If this were a different age he would fall on his sword realizing his ineffectiveness.

Cowardice is a harsh word but it is the right one. Never before have I see a player whose mental edge has been dulled to the point where it couldnt cut butter.

Cech nearly lost his life at Reading in 2006, yet he didnt become afraid of diving in to collect the ball off someone's foot. 

how can anyone defend that performance last night. he constanly has a poor first touch, in fact his touch is that bad it would be noticeable in the championship.

although as a team we didnt play well last night there were still loads of good crosses put into danger areas however surprise surprise, torres was on his heels a couple of yards of the pace.

now if anyone wants to believe this was down torres being tired, and not because he has been consistently sh*t in the vast majority of games he's played in 2 years, thats there delusional perogative.

however that chance in the second half was taken like a sunday league centre back. as 'big' as julio cesar made himself, torres yet again has just smashed it straight at the keeper, when the corner of the net is gaping.

utter gutless clown of a player, id have lampard up there ahead of him, praying ba or whoever hits the ground running so fsw has ni choice but to drop torres.