Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

I could say that I was stunned at the stupidity of the decision to sign a clearly past his prime, possibly injury prone Fernando Torres for such an exorbitant fee. Then I'd be accused of having always been anti-Torres.

I could trace his career at the club back to his first game. Having signed him I thought it was a mistake to start him against Liverpool. Or I could criticise AVB for putting him back on the bench every time he looked like hitting a run of form, or for bringing him off the bench with a few minutes to go. Then I'd be accused of making excuses for him.

I could criticise Torres for his failure to adapt to our style of play, for not trying hard enough to live up to the fee and the accompanying salary. Or I could say that our style of play never really suited him. Both are true enough in their own way, both would be looked at as excuses by one faction or the other.

I could say I find it laughable that there are people more ready to vent their hatred towards Torres than the interim manager, upsetting the Torres haters again.

Or I could say that the sooner he's gone, the better, for his sake and for ours. Because this is getting f**king ridiculous now. Every other thread inexorably transforms itself into yet another round of Torres bashing, with the same old arguments, and with very little if any give and take on either side. The Torres haters hate the Torres defenders for not hating Torres; Torres' defenders hate the Torres haters for hating him.

I'm not going to bother with any of that though. I'm just going to back away slowly and leave the lot of you to scratch each other's eyes out.

P.S, With apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset. It's nothing personal, I assure you.

The Alice comments, ladyboy comments, edited pictures  etc just  reiterate what i was harping on about a few weeks back. It just highlights a slight lack of class by a section of our fanbase. The name calling, somewhat vicious nature to some comments and general ill feeling towards one of our players is a shame.... It is as if some people actually think that Torres WANTS to be a failure or is happy to be in this position.

I have no doubt that Torres wants to score and contribute more than he has been doing. I am sure he hates being such an expensive failure. That he is being paid such a high wage is not his fault. That Chelsea decided to blow 50 mill on him is not his fault. That he has lost his ability and/or pace as some think, again is not necisarrily his fault.  sh*t happens.

I do not understand why people feel the need or desire to come onto a web forum and start calling names etc. It' all very childish and the efforts would surely  be much better served contributing to a discussion rather than hurling around playground insults.

And the Torres fan boys are here. Nice to see the personal insults perhaps you should aim them at your idol.

The man is a cancer and is the single biggest problem with the club aside from Romans itchy trigger finger which can be forgiven as Roman has put a lot into the club and genuinely wants it to succeed. Torres doesn't, he just doesn't care and is happy to collect his unbelievably high pay check while giving little back to the club or it's fans.

I can't stand the man he's mentally weak and doesn't work hard enough to compensate, but I'm also angry we signed him. I didn't rate him much at Liverpool when he was scoring. The whole team was se up for him and he still didn't look that impressive, in his prime I wouldn't say he was worth more than 30 Million but a clearly finished Torres costing 50 Million? Madness.

As soon as he is forced out we can get back on the right track, until then this joke of a players shadow will hang over the whole club including the manager who will be tasked with getting the best out of a player who isn't good enough for the championship.

And the Torres fan boys are here. Nice to see the personal insults perhaps you should aim them at your idol.

The man is a cancer and is the single biggest problem with the club aside from Romans itchy trigger finger which can be forgiven as Roman has put a lot into the club and genuinely wants it to succeed. Torres doesn't, he just doesn't care and is happy to collect his unbelievably high pay check while giving little back to the club or it's fans.

I can't stand the man he's mentally weak and doesn't work hard enough to compensate, but I'm also angry we signed him. I didn't rate him much at Liverpool when he was scoring. The whole team was se up for him and he still didn't look that impressive, in his prime I wouldn't say he was worth more than 30 Million but a clearly finished Torres costing 50 Million? Madness.

As soon as he is forced out we can get back on the right track, until then this joke of a players shadow will hang over the whole club including the manager who will be tasked with getting the best out of a player who isn't good enough for the championship.

If you're really referring to myself and notnowjim as Torres fanboys, then you're either stupid, blinded by hatred or both.

Really? So anyone who doesn't live up to the level of hatred you expect is a fanboy?

I'm not referring to you at all. Calm down and don't be so paranoid.

I'm quite calm thanks.

Neither is it paranoid to question whether a post that begins: ""And the Torres fan boys are here" refers to the posts immediately preceding that post.

I would also make the point that my dislike for the interim manager and my disapproval at his appointment is well known, but nowhere in my most extreme anti-interim moments, do I approach anywhere near the level of hatred you display towards Fernando Torres. Might be something for you to think about.

Edited by Tommy Docherty
The negativity towards Torres on *ALL* Chelsea forums, not just this one is simply "overwhelming".
So many TRUE Chelsea fans have simply had enough of such an over-paid, over-rated, generally 'piss poor' prima donna who continues to hold this Team back.
The favouritism shown by this Club towards Torres, since his arrival (to the detriment of many other players) absolutely stinks!

I honestly cannot think of another CFC Player that has divided opinion, quite like Torres and I have supported Chelsea through 'thick & thin' for a very, very long time.

The day Torres leaves this Club ... we will ALL breath a huge sigh of relief!

I love Torres, so there, just a shame he can't or wont. Reciprocate it back to us, i dont know how he goes from putting in a bear motm not so long back, (check those posts), to lethargy, it seems if he starts of badly its like a gathering snowball of uncertainty, he would of hated seeing Ba do what a striker should do, i know to my level as i played no9, and seemed to know what to do, a conundrum none of us have the answers. But he aint a sh*te football player, he just is steuggling with a crisis if identity, meaning, ( i know i used to be a workd class striker), Helppppppp.

another inept and toothless display from torres last night..

If there were threads for all the other players i would/could say the same about them as well.

If you are aiming that at me, then you have clearly not read up on the 189 pages or so of this thread, which is dedicated to the player who appears to be your subject of choice.  For ease, i have sourced my last comment prior to today, and copied above. This is one of countless posts i have made giving negative comments on torres. I fully agree that Torres needs to be replaced in our team, i just dont see the need to 1) revert to playground insults to any of our players. I am more than able to put over my views without the need or desire to call anybody a ladyboy or whatever else. 2) Bring up my views on torres (or any other player) in threads which are of no relevence to that player, somwthing which you inparticular are guilty off. There are threads for a reason. It is reasonable to expect that some topics will cross over, but mindless bashing for the sake of bashing is not needed or appreciated.

I am in no way a "fanboy" of torres as you eloquently put it.  I am however a fan of chelsea fc, and any (all) of its players.

Edited by nonotnowjim
Here's something I don't understand - why is it not okay to insult Torres, but fellow Chelsea supporters are fair game? I don't find epithets like "Alice" or "Ladyboy" to be particularly clever, so I don't use them, but how are they any worse than the insults directed at the people who have used them? 

Because we're rich and Torres is only on 175K per week. Obviously.

In all seriousness though, if people won't admit Torres has been terrible for two years, has easily been the worst signing in our history and up there with the worst transfers in world football, theres no point having a conversation with them.

Here I go with NO name calling. Just what I see every time we play.

If Torres played today we would have won 1-3

Torres would have spent the entire game running pointlessly toward the corner flag.

Torres would have tried to skin several opponents and loosing the ball each time.

I don't want him in the starting line up or even on the bench. It's actually an insult to every member of the squad that he gets one of the bench seats. He is weak mentally and is completely and utterly broken.

If anyone else disagrees with that they are obviously in need of being sectioned.

I do not want to see him ever again! He is really the one that needed the Malouda treatment.

Because we're rich and Torres is only on 175K per week. Obviously.

In all seriousness though, if people won't admit Torres has been terrible for two years, has easily been the worst signing in our history and up there with the worst transfers in world football, theres no point having a conversation with them.

Agreed. There was a thread in the general forum the other day about our top 10 worst signings, and i think that everybodys list, myself included, had torres in the top 10, mostly at number 1.

Here I go with NO name calling. Just what I see every time we play.

If Torres played today we would have won 1-3

Torres would have spent the entire game running pointlessly toward the corner flag.

Torres would have tried to skin several opponents and loosing the ball each time.

I don't want him in the starting line up or even on the bench. It's actually an insult to every member of the squad that he gets one of the bench seats. He is weak mentally and is completely and utterly broken.

If anyone else disagrees with that they are obviously in need of being sectioned.

I do not want to see him ever again! He is really the one that needed the Malouda treatment.

WIth a gift like that, any chance you could fix me up with the euro millions lottery numbers?

Absolutely spot on Davey.

The faux outrage and humourless indignation makes this place seen like the Daily Mail at its worst. I think it's often forgotten this is a football forum!

Bang on the money.

That picture posted earlier of Torres with handbag and pink shirt, I wish Torres would see it.

Why?

Because nothing else has worked. 

If I were his manager I'd hang it up on the dressing room wall ..

Might get a reaction out of him, if that's at all possible.

Bang on the money.

That picture posted earlier of Torres with handbag and pink shirt, I wish Torres would see it.

Why?

Because nothing else has worked. 

If I were his manager I'd hang it up on the dressing room wall ..

Might get a reaction out of him, if that's at all possible.

Tbf Davey, thats the most ridiculous this I have ever read on this forum.

He'd probably moan about how the lipstick doesn't match his hair and would be wondering where he could buy that bag.

Think whatever you want to think about the footballer. I personally think he is a shadow of a professional who has the kind of mental frailty a four year old could laugh at. 

But im not just talking about calling someone Alice. When the ridicule in the matchday thread sounds like "lol the manager shook only his hand its so clear torres is so gay for FSW" I begin to think there is something to the charge of "Chavski" after all, as those sounds like the musings of some backward hatted preteen looking for approval from his buddies. 

This is not about calling out anyone. Its about the race to find a strawman ladyboy man, who deserves his heap of blame for failure on the pitch. As one poster said the other day, he plays like a coward. But when his appearance or his sexuality are the punchline of the jokes being told, I think we have reached the lowest common denominator in our search for someone to blame for CFC's frustrations, and, in the process, tried to lie to ourselves about the challenges the club face.

The negativity towards Torres on *ALL* Chelsea forums, not just this one is simply "overwhelming".
So many TRUE Chelsea fans have simply had enough of such an over-paid, over-rated, generally 'piss poor' prima donna who continues to hold this Team back.
The favouritism shown by this Club towards Torres, since his arrival (to the detriment of many other players) absolutely stinks!

I honestly cannot think of another CFC Player that has divided opinion, quite like Torres and I have supported Chelsea through 'thick & thin' for a very, very long time.

The day Torres leaves this Club ... we will ALL breath a huge sigh of relief!

Personally, I cant wait to see the back of him, but mainly to spare us the infighting in threads like this. Which is all the more insane, given that it seems to be the fans v. the club right now.

Get rid of Torres and we still arent any closer to redressing the sh*t storm that has taken place over the past few months. Getting rid of him solves nothing other than making the wage bill significantly lighter, removing the cloud of futility and negative media attention that hangs over the guy, and opens the way for us to get someone who will actually score goals. But when he's gone, is Roman going to wake up and think "Its time I spoke to supporters, stopped with the kneejerk decisions, and demonstrated a little patience with managers." Hell no.

Torres is an undeniable product of a club hierarchy that answers to no one. I will be glad to see the back of him because I am sick of his disappointing play, and I am sick of the media circus/fixation on him, but his leaving, and the consistent bickering about him, isnt going to change a damn thing about the way the club operates, or the decision making that got him here. 

Personally, when I think about that, my first instinct isnt to go find someone who disagrees with me to abuse them. Its to reach out to other fans to figure out a means to get our collective frustration going into a positive direction. 

Here's something I don't understand - why is it not okay to insult Torres, but fellow Chelsea supporters are fair game? I don't find epithets like "Alice" or "Ladyboy" to be particularly clever, so I don't use them, but how are they any worse than the insults directed at the people who have used them? 

I would hope everyone is subject to the same site rules that dont tolerate personal abuse of forum members. 

Do we have to call him Alice and Ladyboy on a Chelsea forum? Hes our player for f**k sake and even if we all hope Ba will start from now on its just childish and something you would expect other set of fans call him, not his OWN.

I will continue to support the lad as long as he wears our colours and certainly wont call him Alice, ever.

It seems to me that certain people on this site have simply adopted the sh*t that's been thrown at Torres by Liverpool fans and in the media since the day he left Liverpool as their own. Don't believe me? Look at any Liverpool forum. They've been calling Torres "Ladyboy" for months.

Ever since the day he signed for us, Torres has been an easy target, mostly for opposition fans, but now he's become something of a scapegoat for Chelsea fans. Not just "Alice" and "Ladyboy" but things like: "the man is a cancer.", and "that c**t Torres." That's banter?

Signing Torres was a mistake. Signing him for that amount of money, paying such exorbitant wages was an act of stupidity. He has been a massive failure, a huge disappointment. But even so I see no justification for the ever rising level of hatred directed towards the player.

Torres hate is everywhere. In the match thread, in every other rumour thread, in a Demba Ba thread or two. He wasn't even playing today and yet we have several more pages worth of Torres hate in this thread. And today's match thread full "if Torres was playing today... ". and such like. And of course it was all Torres's fault (well mostly) that we lost to QPR. An off form striker playing in a poorly prepared side and it was all his fault.

Give it a rest for f**k's sakes.

If you can't insult people on the Internet, where can you?

As for Torres, for me he represents all that is currently wrong with Chelsea, he is Roman and the boards Avatar on the pitch, nothing to do with the man, just unfortunate. He did take the cheque though.

Edited by Rag
Guest RFC_CFC
name="Tommy Docherty" post="586238" timestamp="1357426586"]It seems to me that certain people on this site have simply adopted the sh*t that's been thrown at Torres by Liverpool fans and in the media since the day he left Liverpool as their own. Don't believe me? Look at any Liverpool forum. They've been calling Torres "Ladyboy" for months.

Ever since the day he signed for us, Torres has been an easy target, mostly for opposition fans, but now he's become something of a scapegoat for Chelsea fans. Not just "Alice" and "Ladyboy" but things like: "the man is a cancer.", and "that c**t Torres." That's banter?

Signing Torres was a mistake. Signing him for that amount of money, paying such exorbitant wages was an act of stupidity. He has been a massive failure, a huge disappointment. But even so I see no justification for the ever rising level of hatred directed towards the player.

Torres hate is everywhere. In the match thread, in every other rumour thread, in a Demba Ba thread or two. He wasn't even playing today and yet we have several more pages worth of Torres hate in this thread. And today's match thread full "if Torres was playing today... ". and such like. And of course it was all Torres's fault (well mostly) that we lost to QPR. An off form striker playing in a poorly prepared side and it was all his fault.

Give it a rest for f**k's sakes.

Agreed Tommy.

I'm ashamed of the posters on here who resort to name calling on one of our own.

Chelsea fans ain't like this or at least I thought we were above it.

Sad really.

Edited by RFC_CFC