Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

The problem is that there's no sensible discussion to be had. If we limited discussion to that which is sensible, the topic would run its course after another page or two. One person would say, "boy howdy, that Fernando Torres sure is awful at football", then we'd have a few pages of "I concur, well said" and that'd be that.

Is there a reason we'd all be 19th century cowboys hahaha?

Honest question - Would you swap Torres for someone like Kenwyne Jones/Kevin Davies or a striker of similar ilk and why?

No way on earth. As bad as Torres is, I wouldn't swap him for a player of Jones or Davies ability and age. A Dzeko or Michu perhaps and then we've got a deal.

Edited by Erik

This has to be the most ridiculous situation in the club's history. In 9 mins BA did more than Torres

is his 81 !

A penalty appeal, two headers, a harsh decision for offside with a clinical finish.

Torres crossing out wide on numerous occasions, is this bloke for real ?

I'm sorry but from European Champions losing to QPR and Swansea at home, something is

hugely wrong.

The people supporting torres are ridiculous. Its because of this guys poor peformance that our beloved dimatteo is gone, he went on a goal drought for 11 matches and we couldnt win in 8 matches. Because of his poor peformance against westbrom, dimatteo was forced to play juventus without him and that backfired.

Open your eyes and confirm whether you are supporting chelsea fc or torres fc!! :dead_horse:

I felt sorry for Torres a bit tonight.. It isn't his fault he no longer has it in him to be a top class player and I didn't agree with booing him whenhe came off.

I'm not a fan and I believe his presence at the club is causing us problems but tonight he was making runs which were not being picked out because we played such utter sh*t passes side to side defender to defender.

I want him out because the sooner he has gone the sooner FSW will be gone too!

From his point of view he needs out of English football. In Spain he will find some form again but here he is finished.

The people supporting torres are ridiculous. Its because of this guys poor peformance that our beloved dimatteo is gone, he went on a goal drought for 11 matches and we couldnt win in 8 matches. Because of his poor peformance against westbrom, dimatteo was forced to play juventus without him and that backfired.

Open your eyes and confirm whether you are supporting chelsea fc or torres fc!! :dead_horse:

Christ on a three-legged donkey. What people supporting Torres?

Yes all those Torres supporters are just ridiculous! FFS jump off a bridge already, its doing my head in!

:tumbleweed:

Or maybe you mean Rafael Benitez, or Roman Abramovich. If so you can contact them here;

0871 984 1955 (UK) (careful, they charge 10p per minute)

+44 207 835 6000 (Intl.)

Please let us all know what they say, and put in a good word for starting Ba while youre at it.

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

203 pages just thought I would have my say

Fernandos 100th game for the club tonight and seeing as Ba, who lets be honest any striker with a £7m buy out clause is journey man striker can comprehensively out shine a £50m world superstar then time is up..... I am sorry to say I always believed Fernando would turn a corner but he is not going to.

I applaud him for his efforts despite some of the bullsh*t written he has not slagged off the club and he don't pick himself. I think a lesser man would have thrown the towel in a year ago, but fair play to him he hasn't and he is this seasons top scorer, if he was to leave at the end of the season then he would leave with my best wishes for the future.

Down to the Iberian salad dodging front of house manager to pick Ba for the rest of the season

I applaud him for his efforts despite some of the bullsh*t written he has not slagged off the club and he don't pick himself. I think a lesser man would have thrown the towel in a year ago, but fair play to him he hasn't and he is this seasons top scorer, if he was to leave at the end of the season then he would leave with my best wishes for the future.

A better man wouldn't have demanded clarification regarding his first team role after the biggest game in our history but fought for it. 

The frustration with Torres is born out from three major issues: too high expectations of him, management's insistence on playing him in all matches, and the star performance of other teams strikers who save their teams from defeats and draws. The sensible thing would be to admit that Fernando is an average or just above average striker(Kalou type)and maybe try and find his best application in the team elsewhere - can we try him as a defensive midfielder? Can he do as well or better than Mikel?

Speaking as someone who suffers from confidence issues (as well as someone who has frequently gone way too far when insulting Torres in the past) I can say that it must be unpleasant to say the least to be under such a harsh spotlight when going through the worst crisis of your career. I'd probably look surly and shirk the spotlight as much as possible myself to be perfectly honest. It would probably kill me seeing the lunatics from high up insisting on playing week-in week-out when there are far more deserving players waiting in the wings tutting and shaking their heads in disbelief. Sorry Torres - I should have been more empathetic to your plight.

Not Benitez though, he brought this on himself - f**k that guy.

We definitely need another striker, of a certain type, who can present areal threat and who can boss the opposition defenders, well, somebody like Drogba. I thought we got Lukaku exactly for that purpose.

Lukaku is not ready yet, well in my opinion anyway. He still has a terrible touch and little things he needs to sort out. Yeah he could come back and help us in the Europa league, but i would rather he stayed out on loan and got games that way then come back here and only play the odd few. He's a very promising striker and i don't think it's wise to halt his growth as a footballer by bringing him back. We wasted a year of his career last season, let's not make that mistake again.

This has to be the most ridiculous situation in the club's history. In 9 mins BA did more than Torres

is his 81 !

A penalty appeal, two headers, a harsh decision for offside with a clinical finish.

Torres crossing out wide on numerous occasions, is this bloke for real ?

I'm sorry but from European Champions losing to QPR and Swansea at home, something is

hugely wrong.

Torres had only 19 touches of the ball in 81 minutes. In 12 minutes Ba did all what you pointed out. It's unreal that Torres is still playing in our most important games. We must be the only club in the world that can say that a player has become more important than the club. It's sickening what is going on right now.

We have lost the plot, completely lost the plot :face_palm:

I've never hated Fernando, nor will I ever hate him in the future, but we have to come to the conclusion that Torres has to leave ASAP. He does nothing to create any real threatening chances in front of goal, his ball control is awful and his body language suggests his not enjoying his career at Chelsea.

Something must be done now and bloody Roman has to understand that his 50m project has failed dismally.

100 games for only 26 goals is a clear fail for me considering this guy used to be one of the best and most feared strikers as well. 

The decline of Torres has been because of a loss of pace, he's had to adjust to his play because of his injury and this has resulted in him being a poor striker and clearly his confidence is at an all-time low. 

Torres had only 19 touches of the ball in 81 minutes. In 12 minutes Ba did all what you pointed out. It's unreal that Torres is still playing in our most important games. We must be the only club in the world that can say that a player has become more important than the club. It's sickening what is going on right now.

We have lost the plot, completely lost the plot :face_palm:

Agreed. Most of us seemed to think that Ba would surely start after his performance on Saturday. But even allowing for the fact that Torres was still regarded as the number 1 striker going into tonight's game it is hard to fathom how Ba could have stayed on the bench until the 81st minute. I really didn't want to buy into these theories that maybe Rafa was brought in as a desperate attempt to try and make Torres work. But I'm sadly resigned to the likelihood that Torres will continue to start most games this season as long as he is fit. If that is the case we will probably have to get used to quite a few more days and nights of frustration before this season is over.

I'm just wondering where this will all end? Torres has a 5 year deal and it is unlikely that many (if any) clubs are going to be willing to match his current salary. So we may not be able to offload him even if we try, and are faced with the scary prospect that we could be stuck in this cycle for the next 2 years or so. Unless Roman finally gives up on him and accepts he will probably have to see out the rest of his contract from the bench or on loan somewhere with us picking up his wages.