Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

To be fair to Torres although he did nothing else against Brentford but the goal that is enough. Scoring is really enough of him. Remember how Drogba played in some games. He did absolutely nothing until he scored.

I don't see Torres regaining his form in Chelsea ever again so every time he scores is a plus.

Yes that would be ok every now and again, but he does pretty much nothing in every match.

Two hours of the transfer window left and sitting here with everything crossed that he departs.

Titty caught a break and were able to offload Nutty Ballotelli. We have to have hope that some mugs will do us a similar favour and take Torres off our hands.

Guest RFC_CFC

He done alright today, he got an assist and was busy.

Not great or anything but no worse than anyone else bar Mata who as always is the one who always shines!

As ever no positive influence or effect on the game at all other than that simple little 4 yard lay-off to Mata. Didn't trouble the Barcode defenders at all.

Anyone rating that as an "alright performance" must be judging it against an extremely low set of standards. Kenwynne Jones would have given us more threat.

As ever no positive influence or effect on the game at all other than that simple little 4 yard lay-off to Mata. Didn't trouble the Barcode defenders at all.

Anyone rating that as an "alright performance" must be judging it against an extremely low set of standards. Kenwynne Jones would have given us more threat.

That's the thing, really. Our expectations of Torres have sunk sufficiently that any performance which is more than completely nondescript gets him praise. 

It's like Pavlov intimated; if you condition people to expect nothing, the least little something gets them all excited.

He done alright today, he got an assist and was busy.

Not great or anything but no worse than anyone else bar Mata who as always is the one who always shines!

I'm sorry mate but I disagree in the strongest terms.

Torres did not do "alright", he very rarely does "alright".

As others have said, our expectations must have fallen beyond trace if we classify such a performance as "alright".

We have a centre-forward that simply does not get into scoring positions. That is not, and never will be, "alright".

We have a centre-forward who refuses to find a bit of space in the box and give the man in possession the opportunity to create a chance for him.

We have a centre-forward that is hiding for fear that a chance might come his way.

Watch any other centre-forward carefully. They're always pulling away from the defender or darting in front of them, trying to create that bit of space, trying to wrong-foot the defender, so that if their teammate puts that ball in exactly the right spot, they're there for it. These are how goals are scored.

Watch what Sturridge does for the first goal ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOiMM3Bxe8

Did you see that? He peeled away, he ran towards the back stick, away from the defender, giving his teammate something to aim at, because he wants the ball to come to him so he can score. It's the movement I'm talking about, ignore the rest. You will never see Torres do that. He runs towards the defender, he stays as close to him as possible, he doesn't anticipate and he stays on his heels. Every single time. He's hiding and it's a cardinal sin. Loss of form is one thing, all players suffer from it, hiding is quite another. I have never seen a player hide in the way Torres does and by no stretch of the imagination is it "alright". Mata, Hazard, Oscar and Moses are class players. They will create for fun, if you let them. Torres does not let them. Look at the difference when Ba is in the side. Even yesterday, he ran on to a Lampard through ball because he was looking for it, he was playing off the shoulder, anticipating the pass, and he nearly scored and should have got a penalty. That pass is seldom on for Lampard when Torres plays. Yesterday we were winning 2-1 and Newcastle were coming at us, leaving gaps in behind, gaps a centre-forward could exploit. Lampard never had the option to hit that pass, nor did Mata or anyone else. He plays for Chelsea, he earns 175k a week, he cost £50m, we sold Drogba, Kalou, Anelka, Sturridge (all of whom are far better), we have Lukaku out on loan, we sacked 3 good managers and we appointed a w**ker to try and get the best out of him, ripping out the heart of our club in the process, and you're telling me that performance yesterday was "alright"? Not once, in over 45 minutes of football, does he get into a scoring position or even remotely look like a threat and you're telling me that's "alright"? That's not "alright" mate. It's nothing of the sort. He's a centre-forward. He's supposed to get on the end of things. That's his job. Did you ever think he was going to get on the end of something yesterday? Not for a second. The thought didn't even occur to you.

Not digging you out, as I've said, I'm just dismayed that anyone can accept that from our centre-forward, on such a regular basis. Ba may not be the greatest in the world but at least he understands how to do his job.