abramovich

Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

i thought he played really well today and was very unlucky not to score. won nearly every header against Caldwell who is a strong and physical defender. Im looking forward to seeing Ba and Torres start together- perhaps against Prague

edit:just remembered Ba is cup tied

Edited by londonblue

i thought he played really well today and was very unlucky not to score. won nearly every header against Caldwell who is a strong and physical defender. Im looking forward to seeing Ba and Torres start together- perhaps against Prague

edit:just remembered Ba is cup tied

The only time you will see torres and ba playing together is when ba is chucked on with 8 minutes to go when we are 1 goal down. We have a tactically inept manager who wouldn't dare start with 2 strikers.

I thought he did well today, his best performance for a while. He was energetic (although faded in the second half), did well for the assist and would have been on the scoresheet himself had Al-Habsi not pulled off a couple of extraordinary saves. Hopefully he can play like this in Europe...

Done well today, third assist in 3 games as well,

Al-Habsi is a very good shot stopper and on another day he could have been on the scoresheet as well.

Europa League coming up, hope he can keep this up.

I'm sorry mate but I disagree in the strongest terms.

Torres did not do "alright", he very rarely does "alright".

As others have said, our expectations must have fallen beyond trace if we classify such a performance as "alright".

We have a centre-forward that simply does not get into scoring positions. That is not, and never will be, "alright".

We have a centre-forward who refuses to find a bit of space in the box and give the man in possession the opportunity to create a chance for him.

We have a centre-forward that is hiding for fear that a chance might come his way.

Watch any other centre-forward carefully. They're always pulling away from the defender or darting in front of them, trying to create that bit of space, trying to wrong-foot the defender, so that if their teammate puts that ball in exactly the right spot, they're there for it. These are how goals are scored.

Watch what Sturridge does for the first goal ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOiMM3Bxe8

Did you see that? He peeled away, he ran towards the back stick, away from the defender, giving his teammate something to aim at, because he wants the ball to come to him so he can score. It's the movement I'm talking about, ignore the rest. You will never see Torres do that. He runs towards the defender, he stays as close to him as possible, he doesn't anticipate and he stays on his heels. Every single time. He's hiding and it's a cardinal sin. Loss of form is one thing, all players suffer from it, hiding is quite another. I have never seen a player hide in the way Torres does and by no stretch of the imagination is it "alright". Mata, Hazard, Oscar and Moses are class players. They will create for fun, if you let them. Torres does not let them. Look at the difference when Ba is in the side. Even yesterday, he ran on to a Lampard through ball because he was looking for it, he was playing off the shoulder, anticipating the pass, and he nearly scored and should have got a penalty. That pass is seldom on for Lampard when Torres plays. Yesterday we were winning 2-1 and Newcastle were coming at us, leaving gaps in behind, gaps a centre-forward could exploit. Lampard never had the option to hit that pass, nor did Mata or anyone else. He plays for Chelsea, he earns 175k a week, he cost £50m, we sold Drogba, Kalou, Anelka, Sturridge (all of whom are far better), we have Lukaku out on loan, we sacked 3 good managers and we appointed a w**ker to try and get the best out of him, ripping out the heart of our club in the process, and you're telling me that performance yesterday was "alright"? Not once, in over 45 minutes of football, does he get into a scoring position or even remotely look like a threat and you're telling me that's "alright"? That's not "alright" mate. It's nothing of the sort. He's a centre-forward. He's supposed to get on the end of things. That's his job. Did you ever think he was going to get on the end of something yesterday? Not for a second. The thought didn't even occur to you.

Not digging you out, as I've said, I'm just dismayed that anyone can accept that from our centre-forward, on such a regular basis. Ba may not be the greatest in the world but at least he understands how to do his job.

::clap2:: ::clap2:: ::clap2:: ::clap2::  your posts always cover what i feel and are put in a better way than i could write myself

the epitome example of this is when ramires (i think) fizzed that ball across the 6 yard box... for any other striker that is an easy tap in... for torres it is an impossible journey of 2 steps forwards to the danger zone

There was a time, I think it was under AVB but could well have been during Robbie's all too brief spell in charge, when it was more or less accepted that Torres had lost his goal scoring touch, that he was more effective as a creator of chances than as a goalscorer. There were many comments to the effect that Torres could be better utilised in this way.

The problem of course was that Torres was bought as a striker. And so having shown that he could be of use to the team, rather than continuing in this new more effective position, the over-riding opinion was that he was still a striker and so should be doing what he was bought to do, which was of course, scoring goals.

Never mind that lack of goals was his major problem, he was bought to score goals, and if he wasn't scoring goals, then he was a failure. And so it was decided to persevere with him, as a non-scoring striker in the increasingly forlorn hope that Torres might somehow miraculously regain his goalscoring mojo.

Ain't gonna happen. It was never going to happen. The fee is a millstone, not only around Torres' neck but around the club's. It's quite understandable. Pay £50 million for a striker, and you have every right to expect him to do the job for which he is paid that enormous salary. It's a shame really. If it were possible to somehow forget about the fee and the wages, and the unrelenting pressure, the enormous weight of failure, then we might have a decent player on our hands. Not a world class striker, not a world class midfielder or winger, but a player who could make a decent and effective contribution to the team, setting up chances and chipping in with the occasional goal of his own.

Unfortunately, there's no getting away from the fact that nobody in their right mind would pay anything like that amount of money for that kind of player. And so, ultimately, Torres will be judged and found massively wanting, purely on his goalscoring record. Shame, but that's how it goes.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/1/8/3849712/unsafe-at-any-price-why-fernando-torres-is-gone-for-good

First off this is a good read and kinda sums up my feelings towards the subject of Fernando Torres, I just have one thing to add to it.

I can only make about 4-5 games a season and what is becomming apparant to me is how actually bad Torres is at football in general, it starts in the warm up where he fails to score 4 out of 5 of his shots, then move on to the game and his basic touch and passing skills are bad, Im sorry they are just plain bad, he constantly mis controls the ball, his passes are not accurate, unless he has space and space to pass into we lose the ball, he continuously controls the ball too far away from his body so it is easily taken by defenders, Drogba would keep the ball close then muscle with the defender and link up.

His left foot, he doesnt have one, that is all, he will do anything to get the ball onto his right foot, failing that he passes it straight to the goalkeeper with his left.

His vision, as mentioned above, he had tap in on 2 yards from goal, but just didnt make the run at all, waiting for it behind 2 defenders, what is that about?

You give Torres his pace back meaning he can sprint past two defenders after kicking the ball past them that increases confidence leading to his finishing getting better, instead of weakly trying not to miss the target he ended up passing it essentially to El Habsi yesterday, any striker worth 10 quid should score 4 yards from goal with no defenders pressuring.

The exert below brings me to the rumours that Liverpool only accepted the big as they expected him to fail the medical:

When Roman Abramovich triggered the buyout clause in the Spaniard's contract on the final day of the January 2011 window he was purchasing a once-great footballer who had undergone two operations on the same failing right knee in the previous year; a player who had gone through the pain of an accelerated rehabilitation process to recover fitness for the 2010 World Cup only to be left writhing in the agony of a groin injury as Spain won it.

So late on deadline day was Torres signed by Chelsea there was not time for a complete medical.

Those at Liverpool who know his history of surgical intervention will privately say exactly what Burley said publicly on Sunday. Torres will never get back to being the player he was. It is physically impossible.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/sport-comment/the-problem-with-fernando-torres-is-physical-not-mental#ixzz2KXcP2iDA
Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

As the atricle at the top said, the old Torres is gone for good.

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/1/8/3849712/unsafe-at-any-price-why-fernando-torres-is-gone-for-good

First off this is a good read and kinda sums up my feelings towards the subject of Fernando Torres, I just have one thing to add to it.

I can only make about 4-5 games a season and what is becomming apparant to me is how actually bad Torres is at football in general, it starts in the warm up where he fails to score 4 out of 5 of his shots, then move on to the game and his basic touch and passing skills are bad, Im sorry they are just plain bad, he constantly mis controls the ball, his passes are not accurate, unless he has space and space to pass into we lose the ball, he continuously controls the ball too far away from his body so it is easily taken by defenders, Drogba would keep the ball close then muscle with the defender and link up.

His left foot, he doesnt have one, that is all, he will do anything to get the ball onto his right foot, failing that he passes it straight to the goalkeeper with his left.

His vision, as mentioned above, he had tap in on 2 yards from goal, but just didnt make the run at all, waiting for it behind 2 defenders, what is that about?

You give Torres his pace back meaning he can sprint past two defenders after kicking the ball past them that increases confidence leading to his finishing getting better, instead of weakly trying not to miss the target he ended up passing it essentially to El Habsi yesterday, any striker worth 10 quid should score 4 yards from goal with no defenders pressuring.

The exert below brings me to the rumours that Liverpool only accepted the big as they expected him to fail the medical:

When Roman Abramovich triggered the buyout clause in the Spaniard's contract on the final day of the January 2011 window he was purchasing a once-great footballer who had undergone two operations on the same failing right knee in the previous year; a player who had gone through the pain of an accelerated rehabilitation process to recover fitness for the 2010 World Cup only to be left writhing in the agony of a groin injury as Spain won it.

So late on deadline day was Torres signed by Chelsea there was not time for a complete medical.

Those at Liverpool who know his history of surgical intervention will privately say exactly what Burley said publicly on Sunday. Torres will never get back to being the player he was. It is physically impossible.

Read more: http://www.thenational.ae/thenationalconversation/sport-comment/the-problem-with-fernando-torres-is-physical-not-mental#ixzz2KXcP2iDA

Follow us: @TheNationalUAE on Twitter | thenational.ae on Facebook

As the atricle at the top said, the old Torres is gone for good.

Was anyone unaware of the failings of Torres before this was posted?

Torres is finished as a Top Premier League striker, but we all know that.

The best we can all hope for is that when he plays he gives 100% and contributes, and then in some way leaves in the summer.

It's got to the point where Torres' performances hold some sort of morbid fascination for me.

It's like watching a ghost.

After all, a ghost doesn't possess a heart.

I don't even think he was happy when Oscar scored.

I hold this player in contempt and I want him out almost as badly as I want the FSW out.

^ Half the time he looks in a trance, completely oblivious to the match going on around him. Note the number of occasions he gets in the way of his own team mates when they have the ball.

It's got to the point where Torres' performances hold some sort of morbid fascination for me.

It's like watching a ghost.

After all, a ghost doesn't possess a heart.

I don't even think he was happy when Oscar scored.

I hold this player in contempt and I want him out almost as badly as I want the FSW out.

Agree wholeheartedly. Last season on some special nights in the champions league he sulked off, only to be surprised by Robbie pouncing on him. He's a self centred c**t, I think we should sell him to the highest bidder - Anzi, Zenit. If they don't want him send on loan to Isle Of Man FC or North Korea United.

Edited by Ben

Reading some of the posts above from the 9/10th Feb. Four days is a long time in football. And an absolute lifetime when talking about the good performances of Fernando Torres.

Edited by just

Reading some of the posts above from the 9/10th Feb. Four days is a long time in football. And an absolute lifetime when talking about the good performances of Fernando Torres.

What good performances?

He's been consistently dire but it's seems long as he doesn't trip over his own feet he gets praise off some people on here. Heck a month or 2 ago someone claimed he was back to his best after he scored a couple against mickey mouse sides.

Torres should not play for the club again. Promote Feruz and move on.

Ps - didn't see the game tonight so not judging Torres based on that but from what I've heard he didn't impress.

Torres was so late getting in the box Roman had to dock 30 minutes off his pay.  Utter gutless performance today, he has about as much pace as the 'speed of a striking slug'.  Still, looking on the bright side he may only play another dozen games and his agony will be over if Roman and Torres have any sense.  How the mighty have fallen and hopefully he will be taking the fat twat with him.   Guaranteed to start against Brentford as the fat twat needs him to score goals.