Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Jose is the one manager who could actually boost his confidence but I hope we are able to sell him and bring in Jose.

People said the same thing about the FSW but I don't think any Manager in the world will be able to have an impact on Torres to be completely honest- he has fallen so far he is beyond repair at Chelsea. He needs to move on in the summer for everyones sake.

A new club, a new league and a fresh start is the only hope for him I would say.

How do the first two have anything to do with whether he was good value for money? I couldn't care less about Spain.

As for the CL and FA Cup, he contributed more than nothing and less than every other player on the pitch. That's not praiseworthy and it certainly isn't worth 50 MP + astronomical wages.

Well we should want national teams of our players to do well as bring moral and confidence to the club that's why mainly interested in them doing well for there national teams

I appreciate what your saying maybe not worth 50million for the contrubution but it did get us the CL that's what I was mainly meaning worth the 50mil to be champions of Europe and that feeling especially for legend lamps/JT/drogba/Pete/ash

I get a bit fed up with the comparison with Drogba. I think we're forgetting how much time he spent rolling around on the turf, tripping over his own feet and languishing on the bench under JM.

When you buy a player like Torres, you build the rest of the team around him. Liverpool did it , SAF does it as a matter of routine, Ronaldo, Rooney, and now RVP. This is nowt to do with the player, but more to do with the way he has been expected to slot into a setup that obviously doesn't suit him, and for the most part doesn't support him. At ManU Torres would be scoring goals for fun because they wouldn't have bought him without knowing precisely how they were going to employ him. In our case the decision was taken by one man and everyone else at the club shrugged their shoulders and made no real attempt to incorporate him

I get a bit fed up with the comparison with Drogba. I think we're forgetting how much time he spent rolling around on the turf, tripping over his own feet and languishing on the bench under JM.

When you buy a player like Torres, you build the rest of the team around him. Liverpool did it , SAF does it as a matter of routine, Ronaldo, Rooney, and now RVP. This is nowt to do with the player, but more to do with the way he has been expected to slot into a setup that obviously doesn't suit him, and for the most part doesn't support him. At ManU Torres would be scoring goals for fun because they wouldn't have bought him without knowing precisely how they were going to employ him. In our case the decision was taken by one man and everyone else at the club shrugged their shoulders and made no real attempt to incorporate him

Absolute dross, a club should never build a side around the weakest link as proven by the last 6 months. Whether it's Iniesta/Cesc/Xavi/Xabi behind him or Lampard/Mikel/Mata/Hazard/Oscar he is the player who is a passenger out of those and doesn't contribute. Spain and Chelsea benched him for their biggest games over the last year, because he isn't good enough - false 9 is a better option than a guy who gets disposed constantly and passes to the opposition on average 30% per match, while being unable to create his own chances or get into goal scoring positions consistently. 

By the time Torres arrived at Chelsea he was finished, and he would be lucky to be playing at an elite level if we ever get rid of him. He deserves to be playing in the lower levels because he fails to do what even the most average strikers in the Championship are able to do. Namely his movement inside the box is atrocious and because he remains flatfooted and does not challenge defenders for balls pinged inside the box. 

Torres I personally think has become a coward since he arrived here. He couldn't fight with Drogba for a starting place; on merit he should have been behind Sturridge for a starting place; he demanded to be made first choice despite never earning it; since he became first choice he is constantly hiding instead of making runs and getting into position where he might end up with a chance to score. 

I remember at the start of the season under RdM there was a period where over 5 matches Torres managed to miss between 6-10 one on one situations against opposition goal keepers since than he is hiding behind defenders and not making those runs. 

Edited by Las7

I don't think confidence has anything to do with it.

Torres just isn't a very good player, he wasn't at Liverpool but the fact the team was built around him and he had pace helped cover up his flaws such as his poor first touch and inability to hold the ball up. Now that his pace is gone he's finished as a footballer.

I don't think confidence has anything to do with it.

Torres just isn't a very good player, he wasn't at Liverpool but the fact the team was built around him and he had pace helped cover up his flaws such as his poor first touch and inability to hold the ball up. Now that his pace is gone he's finished as a footballer.

I agree, i never believed Torres was a great footballer. I always used to think he was a world class finisher though, but now he is just done.

Not a Drogba fan then?

PS: In case it has escaped your attention, we have built a team around Torres. In fact I have never seen a club, any club, change so much, (tactics, players, managers), to help one player. And he's still crap!

Soccer Saturday's PoV

Walshy on Fernando Torres: "I'm squirming when I'm watching him. He's in turmoil. He knows it's embarrassing for him. I think it's a massive dilemma for Chelsea."

Back to Torres... Merse: "He's playing in a top team. He's not feeding off scraps down the bottom. I can't feel sorry for him."

I have never seen a club, any club, change so much, (tactics, players, managers), to help one player. And he's still crap!

True...Carlo, AVB, RDM and The FSW ain't all got it wrong with him have they....unless by a miraculous coincidence.

Time for Torres to move on in the summer, it ain't gonna work for him at Chelsea, we know it...and i'm sure he knows it himself.

I fear that we are stuck with him for the remainder of his contract.

If you were in Torres' shoes, I think you'd look at yourself and say "I'm finished as a player, so I may as well get as much money as I can."

He can still then go back to Athletico at the end of it all and get a final wage before retiring.  

My only hope (I used to hope he'd come good, but that is gone) is that AM do agree on a deal involving Falcao and he goes back to be some form of hero again at his boyhood club

Considering we get Lukaku back at the end of the season, we wouldn't exactly need  a marquee center forward signing as Lukaku and Ba should do the job. We'd still need to buy a striker however rather than spending big money on a player it would be wise to sign a cheap striker in case Lukaku or Ba get injured.

If it were up to me, I'd definitely recall Lukaku back to the squad for next season but something tells me that he's going to be loaned out for another year.

Edited by Amputechture

On the one hand its difficult seeing Lukaku do so well at WBA while our strikers are like a black hole. Part of me wishes he had come back in January so we can see him here, with this offense, for six months and see what he is really made of.

Then again, he would just be stunted like he was all of last season.

Considering we get Lukaku back at the end of the season, we wouldn't exactly need  a marquee center forward signing as Lukaku and Ba should do the job. We'd still need to buy a striker however rather than spending big money on a player it would be wise to sign a cheap striker in case Lukaku or Ba get injured.

If it were up to me, I'd definitely recall Lukaku back to the squad for next season but something tells me that he's going to be loaned out for another year.

That is exactly what I think get a third low cost proven goalscorer and offload torres for maybe 10mill.

id be happy to go with ba and lukaku, and then bring someone with lightning pace like james rodriguez that can play a number of positions and stretch teams over the top.

or if we were to spend big I like the look of Stephen el shaarawy, lighting quick, great feet, and can play in any atacking position. With milan having just spent big on balotelli, I can see them balancing the books in the not too distant future.

Edited by big blue

what are you on about ?? 

Your Anti Torres campaign has warped any sense of realism you may once have possessed.

Of course we'll get 10 Million for him, in fact probably more. He may be crap for us, but someone else will see different, The perfect example is Forlan  :wink:

He'll make that much for a club in shirt sales alone (not that that should be a criteria when buying a player) i wouldn't be at all suprised if the original fee we paid for Torres has had a large chunk negated by merchandising with his name/photo on it.

You really are a nasty, spiteful Twat that never wastes an opportunity to slag him off :dead_horse: