abramovich

Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

But look where we've finished in the league had we had a Van Persie up top I bet we'd have been celebrating the league title

we have wasted leads so many times, in dying minutes too. probably due to our inability to sub players off

torres scored 8 league goals this season. its not unreasonable to expect lukaku to score 20 in the next one. just imagine the difference of 12 league goals.thats easily 7-8 points more

IMO, we need more options on the bench. we dont have a problem with scoring. only man u have scored more than us

Edited by Lane

we have wasted leads so many times, in dying minutes too. probably due to our inability to sub players off

torres scored 8 league goals this season. its not unreasonable to expect lukaku to score 20 in the next one. just imagine the difference of 12 league goals.thats easily 7-8 points more

IMO, we need more options on the bench. we dont have a problem with scoring. only man u have scored more than us

I still think we need some one world class up top so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

On the squad I think that can be solved without spending a penny as we'll hopefully have KDB, Lukaku and others in the squad,

Bah still dont trust him, he also ended the last season well but nothings changed that much really.. 8 goals in a 38 game season is poor and if we want to move on as a club he needs to go. Secondly why are people writing off Ba so quickly he could still be adjusting to the teams style of play. We gave Anelka a chance in 2008 and he became our top scorer the next season.

Edited by Mamizcar

Bah still dont trust him, he also ended the last season well but nothings changed that much really.. 8 goals in a 38 game season is poor and if we want to move on as a club he needs to go. Secondly why are people writing off Ba so quickly he could still be adjusting to the teams style of play. We gave Anelka a chance in 2008 and he became our top scorer the next season.

Yeah, I think we got Anelka's best years tbh thought he was excellent for us after that slow half a season

Well done to him today. He scored the winning goal for us (for the first time?) against a side in the top half. If we get any decent offers for him now, we really should let him go, both for the club's sake and his own.

Thank you Fernando for the goal at the Nou Camp and for the goal in the Europa league final.

But it's time to move on now. ;-)

Bloody hell didn't think of that he actually scored the winner today that's been some people's criticism of him

I'm a bit more worried about Ba right now.

We should have gone for a big name, can't have 2 second options.

If Torres could keep this up then he'd be the 1st, but after 2 seasons it's hard to believe. 

We have a bit of a problem in both ends of the court (our midfield is excellent). The Special One will sort it.

if today was his last game for us i think it will leave a sweet taste in my mouth.

he was never going to live up to the 50M price tag but his CL semi-final goal against Barca at the Nou Camp, Europa League final goal and hat trick against QPR at the bridge are moments i won't forget quickly

his recent goals will also probably inflate his price tag. maybe Benitez will bring Torres to his next club?

Thanks Fernando and good luck, if you every play against us i will definitely give you a round of applause

if today was his last game for us i think it will leave a sweet taste in my mouth.

he was never going to live up to the 50M price tag but his CL semi-final goal against Barca at the Nou Camp, Europa League final goal and hat trick against QPR at the bridge are moments i won't forget quickly

his recent goals will also probably inflate his price tag. maybe Benitez will bring Torres to his next club?

Thanks Fernando and good luck, if you every play against us i will definitely give you a round of applause

Blimey! He hasn't gone yet mate

Just imagine if we had continued our rollicking start through the season, still don't know how it went so pear shaped?, certainly not one persons fault.

The Chelsea board, Benitez and i suppose some of the players could have performed better at times.

Edited by Scott Harris

I have given him stick all year, a majority of it I feel he deserved.  I guess my expectations were high from the outset and perhaps that was my fault remembering what he did as a Liverpool player.  Although it seems he has been playing better of late and shown some flashes of the old Torres I still have mixed feelings as to whether he should go or stay.  I said some time ago he should be sold...for his sake, not necessarily for that of the club, but over recent weeks I wonder if this is the start of the revival, he looks fitter, stronger and quicker than he did for the last two years.  He has learned to become a team player and realized this is a team that doesn't rely on the #9 to grab all the goals as they can come from anywhere unlike his Liverpool playing days where all the players were looking for him to slide the ball to, whereas we have the players with the talent to go it alone.  Whoever comes in as Manager will have a dilemma over Nando's future....or has Michael already decided his fate.   I'd give him another year, he knows he will have to sit on the bench every now and then and not be the automatic choice of years gone by....this season is a C+ for me...there is still room for improvement.

He certainly left his good stuff to the last. If we play 10 more games from now on, he may end up with 12 goals. Jokes aside, he did well this week. If that was his last appearance, at least thats another fond memory of him.

Why would he leave?

Put it this way:  if you knew you were getting into the twilight years of your career;  someone came along paid way too much for you; you knew you could sit back and retire in a few years, maybe even go back home for a cameo last hurrah; all while laying claim to a massive pay cheque; would you not be doing that too?  Also, you would do this knowing full well that even if you did move on to another club no one would be willing to pay you what you were earning currently.

I have to wonder it would make any sense for either Torres or Chelsea to part ways.

For Torres, he now looks like he belongs here; he looks comfortable, and he looks like he is enjoying playing again. It took a while, and why would he want to start that process all over again anywhere else? Also, how likely is it he would be going to a club with better chances of success than Chelsea?

For Chelsea, we forked out such a lot of money for Torres, and selling him now would be admitting we made a huge mistake, and would mean trying to get back as much (no matter how little) for him as possible. However, why would we do this when he is showing signs of turning a corner?

From a form and confidence perspective, I say we keep Torres. But ultimately, it will come down to whether Jose (or whoever else) sees a place for him in our squad.

Cheers,

Butch

Whoever coined the phrase; "a week is a long time in football", they could have written it for Fernando Torres. Though I obviously think he should go, I don't for a moment, think he will. Not while Roman owns the club.

That said, if we once again end up with him as our first choice, regular starting centre-forward next season, we will struggle up front everybit as much as we have done this year. It is that simple.

I have to wonder it would make any sense for either Torres or Chelsea to part ways.

For Torres, he now looks like he belongs here; he looks comfortable, and he looks like he is enjoying playing again. It took a while, and why would he want to start that process all over again anywhere else? Also, how likely is it he would be going to a club with better chances of success than Chelsea?

For Chelsea, we forked out such a lot of money for Torres, and selling him now would be admitting we made a huge mistake, and would mean trying to get back as much (no matter how little) for him as possible. However, why would we do this when he is showing signs of turning a corner?

From a form and confidence perspective, I say we keep Torres. But ultimately, it will come down to whether Jose (or whoever else) sees a place for him in our squad.

Cheers,

Butch

bg4irq.jpg

He doesn't look anywhere near as comfortable here as he did at Liverpool. When he played for them in his first season he acted like he owned the pitch and every time he got the ball u knew he'd score. Not the case with us, unfortunately. Him scoring here is still a pleasant surprise when it happens.

Cheers,

Butch

Have to say I agree with you mostly Butch!

The rash side of me also says sell him and to hell with the consequences.

Edited by Zola

I'm not saying get rid of him but i don't think he should be our number one striker, no way. He'llbe 30 next season and we need a fresh, younger prospect.

his wage must be more than 200k, we cant have a player with that kind of wage as a sub

his wage must be more than 200k, we cant have a player with that kind of wage as a sub

So your team selection policy is based around how much each play is earning? Terrible.