Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Like I said, quote, if we continue to play possesion football like we did play under Rafa, unquote, which means 4-2-3-1 with three attacking midfielders passing ball inbetween them forever and trying to walk into the net, even fat Ronaldo himself wouldn't score 25+ goals in the season.

How many times have we seen dangerous looking counter attacks fail to materialise because Torres failed to do his job.

I can remember numerous golden opportunities fizzle out because the movement of Torres was so bad that he actually took himself into a position where he was no longer a realistic outlet for the man on the ball. Running out wide, running closer to the man on the ball- we have seen it so many times am totally a gog as to how you think it is the type of football we play that is the problem.

When on the counter and Torres did receive the ball how often did he go past 2 defenders and slot one away? Seriously how many times in 2 and a half years? Now compare that to how many times he cut back, fluffed his lines and lost possession.

Counter attacking football or possession football makes no difference if you fail to take the chances when they come.

Edited by mclovin83

Every system is a disaster for Torres, and no we are not going to be a Counter Attacking team under Jose. It has nothing to do with Jose's system but rather how EPL clubs play against us, in order to play counter attacking football you need the other team to actually be attacking you - which doesn't happen very often in the EPL. How many goals has Scorres scored after beating a defender or two after taking the ball 30-40 meters away from goal - he usually loses possession to the first defender he faces.

THIS.

how many times did we see him lose the ball, fall over it, fail to beat man...?

he is finished as a top level footballer

Like I said, quote, if we continue to play possesion football like we did play under Rafa, unquote, which means 4-2-3-1 with three attacking midfielders passing ball inbetween them forever and trying to walk into the net, even fat Ronaldo himself wouldn't score 25+ goals in the season.

Btw, Messi is not true 9, haven't watched Cryuff, Aguero scored less goals than Torres did last season, Henry and RvP rarely played in 4-2-3-1 and when they did, it was fast ball exchange / counter attacking 4-2-3-1 (something like what we played under RdM and when Torres really hit the form), but 99% of the games Henry played in 4-5-1 as a lone striker and in Manchester RvP plays in 4-4-2.

And Suarez is just a retarded c**t who takes 20+ shots every game and gets lucky, he is not even worth mentioning on this forum. Suarez? Liverpool? Possesion football? Yeah, maybe while they're in their own half.

Agueros goals to games ratio last season was still better than Torres despite his injuries. Torres played nearly 70 games and scored 23 whereas Aguero played 40 and scored 17. He would have scored more than Torres if he played the same number of games.

Edit: Also Liverpool did play possession football, theres a reason why they have the 3rd highest average possession in the league.

Edited by Mamizcar

I really do like the guy, that's obvious, but I have to say this whole thing he keeps banging on about 'honouring his contract' is really p***ing me off. 

For one thing, he didn't care one s**t for his contract while he was playing for Liverpool- he still had three years left on the one he signed when he decided to force through a move here because Liverpool weren't winning anything. Fair enough, every player wants to challenge for and win major trophies, you can't blame him. However, it is making him look stupid that he keeps saying he signed a contract and wishes to honour it. The contract has NOTHING to do with it, Fernando. Had we not won a button since you signed, you'd probably be only too happy to p**s off to Barcelona. It's fairly obvious he wants to stay because a) he is on a ridiculous amount of money and b) because we are an incredibly successful club that wins trophies more or less every season. Yes, he may want to work under Jose (who wouldn't?) but I really just wish he'd be honest about the reason he doesn't want to leave and stop treating us fans like d**ks. 

Rant over. 

Just hopefully not at Chelsea.

I've nothing against the guy but he is not really thinking about what's best for himself and the club.

He is 28, heading into a World Cup year on the back of next season. Given Spain's depth and youngsters coming through it will most certainly be his last shot at a World Cup. He will be 2nd (at best) in he pecking order. Why would you want to see out your twilight years on the bench and risk missing out on the World Cup?

Drogba - despite all his pedigree at Chelsea and what he had given to the club - moved on because he felt his time was up and wanted the club to evolve. This despite being offered a 2 year deal and being wanted at the club.

What's best for everybody is if he and Chelsea part ways. If he does a Bogarde, it will be a bitter and acrimonious ending for everybody.

Just hopefully not at Chelsea.

I've nothing against the guy but he is not really thinking about what's best for himself and the club.

He is 28, heading into a World Cup year on the back of next season. Given Spain's depth and youngsters coming through it will most certainly be his last shot at a World Cup. He will be 2nd (at best) in he pecking order. Why would you want to see out your twilight years on the bench and risk missing out on the World Cup?

Drogba - despite all his pedigree at Chelsea and what he had given to the club - moved on because he felt his time was up and wanted the club to evolve. This despite being offered a 2 year deal and being wanted at the club.

What's best for everybody is if he and Chelsea part ways. If he does a Bogarde, it will be a bitter and acrimonious ending for everybody.

I'd have to disagree with SOME of that. I believe he IS thinking about what's best for himself, not the club. 

I'm one of his biggest fans, but Chelsea comes first.

Edited by TorresBlue9

Worlds best striker again?

He was never one to begin with.

He was up there, let's be honest.

He has fallen a long way but I remember watching him in his prime and thinking he was one of the best strikers I have ever seen play the game live in front of me.

Let's not start saying he was sh*t all along like that 'hazard a guess' bellend who claimed he 'was always sh*t'.

He was once a true great in my opinion..... he is not anymore sadly.