Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

People on here think I'm mad, deluded, crazy or all three. Maybe I am, but regardless of what personnel we enter this coming season with I'm always optimistic. I more than understand the false dawns we have had time and again with Torres, but I refuse to drag myself or my hopes for this season down because of what has happened previously.

Can we win the title with Torres ? Of course we can, I'm a glass half full kind of lunatic.  :JC_doubleup:

I wonder what are the odds right now that Torres will end up being the Premier League's top goalscorer next season?.

Probably on par with Lord Lucan being spotted riding Shergar holding an honest expense's claim from an MP in his hand.

But you never know!.......maybe I should put a tenner on it.........or perhaps a fiver.

A little off track here at first but bare with me...

Arsenal have bid £40m for Suarez confirmed by the BBC that has been rejected:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

Now, what about we offer a money plus swap for Torres?

We may end up with a scumbag if all goes to plan, but it will be with a scumbag that can actually play football. Not to mention Torres might actually be up for going back to his beloved Dippers.

Opinions?

Liverpool couldn't win the title with Torres even when he was banging in 30+ goals and a hat trick every second game. I don't fancy our chances with him leading our line with him only looking a shadow of the man he was with them.

Awful comment! Liverpool didn't have mata, hazard, oscar, lampard, de bruyne, schurrle and ramires etc to support him. Every football team has a weakness 

something i find extremely bizarre is that the general consensus with liverpool fans seems to be that they would welcome torres back with open arms!

Done a bit of googling and I know these were a while ago but read through the comments and make of it what you will...

http://www.liverpoolfcfanscorner.com/1/post/2011/12/would-you-take-torres-back.html

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=297866.0

Liverpool always have clinged on to their past and whilst Torres was in a red shirt he was on fire so they would obviously believe that a return would spell more success.....I'm sure there is probably some thread trying to get Robbie Fowler or Ian Rush to come out of retirement somewhere.

All in all i think we can do it with Torres/Ba/Lukaku, last season scoring goals wasn't exactly the problem we let in a shed load too!

Liverpool always have clinged on to their past and whilst Torres was in a red shirt he was on fire so they would obviously believe that a return would spell more success.....I'm sure there is probably some thread trying to get Robbie Fowler or Ian Rush to come out of retirement somewhere.

All in all i think we can do it with Torres/Ba/Lukaku, last season scoring goals wasn't exactly the problem we let in a shed load too!

People forget that we dropped a lot of points last season througt sh*te defending late on in a game. We scored enough goals in my opinion to challenge for the title. Torres didn't but he contributed to a lot of those goals

Just an opinion, maybe in the wrong thread, and probably touched on before.

I think at least part of the reason that our strikers haven't been particularly prolific in recent seasons comes down to our general attacking build up. It tends to be fairly narrow, edge of the box stuff, often quite patient build up. More often than not, our striker is left covered by one of the opposition centre-backs, and his main contribution is to drag them out and create space for the attacking midfielders. In Torres' case, I'd say this is something he's done quite well. No striker should like to be 'stepping out' of the attack, but it was probably the main thing he brought to our attacking play last season; disrupt the defence, drag one of the centre-backs out of position, create space .

Our "3" behind the striker all tend to favour coming inside with the ball, which has bottlenecked our attacking play a lot. Now I'm not suggesting that hasn't worked, some of our attacking play, particularly last season, has been incredible to watch, but it's not geared towards a striker 'finishing the moves off'. Our strikers moment to shine often comes from our pacier counter attacks. This (undeniably) is something Torres has never succeeded at in a Chelsea shirt. It may be a confidence thing, it may just be a general ability thing, but Torres has consistently stopped our counter-attacking plays mid-flow with either a poor touch or a wayward pass. We were spoilt with Drogba, who was such a force on the counter, and I reckon Lukaku will suit this sort of play too, as he has all of the attributes to thrive in that sort of play.

With Jose returning I don't expect a drastic change to our attacking play, as it does play to the strengths of our better forward players, but I fancy our attacking midfielders to be encouraged to hug the touchline a little more often. No mass change to our style of play but just another element, which I reckon would suit Torres. Given time and space to think he's often failed miserably, but given a pass/cross/through-ball that needs to be struck/headed first-time, you see him doing what he did best at Liverpool.

If you assume Torres, Lukaku and Ba are all ready to deliver the best they're physically & technically capable of, we've got three very different, quite capable frontmen to spearhead our attack in entirely different ways.

I realise some of you will turn your nose at the thought of me suggesting Torres can offer our attack anything, but I just think the variety and potential there is something to be excited by, particularly with a coach who is known for setting up teams well with interchangeable styles of attacking play.

Liverpool couldn't win the title with Torres even when he was banging in 30+ goals and a hat trick every second game. I don't fancy our chances with him leading our line with him only looking a shadow of the man he was with them.

Tbh Liverpool were behind us, United and Arsenal in terms of overall quality at the time.

Tbh Liverpool were behind us, United and Arsenal in terms of overall quality at the time.

Yep, it certainly wasn't Torres's fault they didn't win the title lol.

Torres, Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, they had some good players but they also had some real sh*t.

Yep, it certainly wasn't Torres's fault they didn't win the title lol.

Torres, Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard, they had some good players but they also had some real sh*t.

They lost the title because of their high number of draws. Had they won two out of those 11 draws they would have been level with Manure on 90 points & beaten them comfortably on goal difference. 

They comfortably scored more than all other teams & only let in a few more than Manure & us.

Not a bad team in fact & not much dross there at all.

They lost the title because of their high number of draws. Had they won two out of those 11 draws they would have been level with Manure on 90 points & beaten them comfortably on goal difference. 

They comfortably scored more than all other teams & only let in a few more than Manure & us.

Not a bad team in fact & not much dross there at all.

Riera, Benayoun, Babel, Keane, N'Gog, El Zhar, Pennant and a 36 year old Hyypia.

All the above were regular components of the team and all were sh*t.

Although to be fair, the United team that won it that year was probably the strongest United team in years, with Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney/Berbatov up front.

Riera, Benayoun, Babel, Keane, N'Gog, El Zhar, Pennant and a 36 year old Hyypia.

All the above were regular components of the team and all were sh*t.

Well to be fair, of those that you've mentioned, I wouldn't thought that Riera, Benayoun, Keane or Hyypia could be classified as "real sh*t".

And of the above, Hyypia was not a regular component of the team: 19 appearances in 54 games. Riera (40 games) & Benayoun (41 games) were regular components but both had good years, up there in the assists & scored 16 goals between them: the latter mostly as a sub. Keane had an indifferent 6 months but scored some vital goals for them in big matches before being sold.

Of the rest - yes Babel wasn't great but again, he was used as a sub mostly (came off the bench 20 times); N'Gog only played 19 games of which 14  of which were as a sub mostly late on in games (albeit he was sh*t). El Zhar only played 19 games of which he was a sub in 16 & Pennant only played 4 games out of 54 - he just wasn't used all that much.

So only N'Gog & possibly El Zhar qualify as "sh*t" in 08-09 wouldn't you say?

I wonder what are the odds right now that Torres will end up being the Premier League's top goalscorer next season?.

Probably on par with Lord Lucan being spotted riding Shergar holding an honest expense's claim from an MP in his hand.

But you never know!.......maybe I should put a tenner on it.........or perhaps a fiver.

24/1 with betfair. doule it with the epl 50/1, treble it with the fa cup 300/1. already commented but in my opinion if torres stays the chances of him being top goal scorer is pretty high due to a number of factors. coming from atletic to loserpool didn't change his training enviroment that much because benetiz and his spainish crew were there. it only went down hill when benetiz left and coming to the bridge didn't change much. if anyone can work a miracle JM can who has incidently brought over some of his spainish real coaches. as a gambler i love a long shot but hey if you ain't a believer .......!