Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Seemed to show two contrasting styles.... Lukaku - an advanced forward but in this game was increasingly isolated and Torres a deep lying forward who was creating things more than getting on the end of anything....

nice soundtrack also

I honestly don't reckon we'll get Rooney at this point. If we were going to, we'd have him by now.

It will be Torres, Lukaku and Ba this season. Whether we like it or not. When I honestly thought that we would possibly buy a few players and seriously boost our forward line with a big name striker, a position which was desperately lacking last season, I seem to be extremely disappointed.

Four players is probably too much for one position.

Would've been nice to see a quality addition, but  the only ones available that would potentially be an improvement went for more money than we were willing to pay.

Boils down to whether or not you're happy with Torres, Lukaku and Ba, because that's what we've got. Some are, some aren't.

Personally I'm delighted, 3 good forwards, one with so much potential, and a wealth of excellent midfielders behind them. Try and stop us scoring.

The transfer window is not closed yet.

I'm ruling nothing out.

It's still possible Mourinho will land Rooney.

I think the only way we will sign Rooney is if he hands in a transfer request. That way United can save face by saying they didnt want to sell to a rival but were left with little choice. All the fans will know thats bollocks but the club will still put that spin on it.

With out the transfer request i cant see the deal being done.

I honestly don't reckon we'll get Rooney at this point. If we were going to, we'd have him by now.

We play United at Old Trafford on the 26th, no way would we sign him before Moyes first home game since taking charge. If it's going to happen it'll be after that date. 

Nando is going to be here this season, I'm pretty sure of that. I think he will get a fair bit of game time even if Rooney comes in and I don't know why but I think he is going to finally break into double figures in terms of league goals scored this year. 

I think the only way we will sign Rooney is if he hands in a transfer request. That way United can save face by saying they didnt want to sell to a rival but were left with little choice. All the fans will know thats bollocks but the club will still put that spin on it.

With out the transfer request i cant see the deal being done.

I think we will only see Rooney at Chelsea if United go and make a marquee signing. I can't see them handing us over Rooney without a suitable acquisition to replace him (not necessarily a forward I know theyre looking for a midfielder). Unlike Arsenal who sold Van Persie to United and replaced him with Giroud (pretty much handing United the title)

Edited by Sweddy

It will be Torres, Lukaku and Ba this season. Whether we like it or not. When I honestly thought that we would possibly buy a few players and seriously boost our forward line with a big name striker, a position which was desperately lacking last season, I seem to be extremely disappointed.

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Van Ginkel, Schurrle... Mourinho.

Extremely disappointed!?

Global top-selling EPL jerseys (2012-13):
1. Robin van Persie (Manchester United)
2. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
3. Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United)
4. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City)
5. Fernando Torres (Chelsea)
6. Eden Hazard (Chelsea)
7. Luis Suarez (Liverpool)
8. Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
9. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)
10. Santi Cazorla (Arsenal)

​Thing is with Torres love him or hate him we can't get rid of him with his monstrous wages and even if we do we'll have to pay part of his wages so even if he's only an average player now better to have the revenue from our shirt sales and him on the bench for the lesser teams than to have him on another team,pay prob 100k a week of his wages and loose that revenue.

Guess it all depends on how much revenue we get from those shirts too... 

Some of those I can get but Alex O-C at number 9?! Who's buying his shirts?

Anyway, what I was going to post is this. Stats taken from the USA Tour, couting how may goals were scored while our three strikers were on the pitch:

• Fernando Torres:  149 minutes, ZERO goals scored by Chelsea
  • Romelu Lukaku:  121 minutes, four goals scored by Chelsea
  • Demba Ba:  120 minutes, three goals scored by Chelsea

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/8/12/4612112/a-look-at-preseason-minutes-goals-player-partnerships

Anyway, what I was going to post is this. Stats taken from the USA Tour, couting how may goals were scored while our three strikers were on the pitch:

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/8/12/4612112/a-look-at-preseason-minutes-goals-player-partnerships

Thats is not taken from the us tour. Ba didn't score any and lukaku got 1 I believe. 

Edited by Bluehatter

The transfer window is not closed yet.

I'm ruling nothing out.

It's still possible Mourinho will land Rooney.

I honestly did have a lot of hope, but now I'm really not so sure. United seem really adamant they aren't selling him, despite the fact he wants to come to us.

Global top-selling EPL jerseys (2012-13):

1. Robin van Persie (Manchester United)

2. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

3. Shinji Kagawa (Manchester United)

4. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City)

5. Fernando Torres (Chelsea)

6. Eden Hazard (Chelsea)

7. Luis Suarez (Liverpool)

8. Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)

9. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal)

10. Santi Cazorla (Arsenal)

​Thing is with Torres love him or hate him we can't get rid of him with his monstrous wages and even if we do we'll have to pay part of his wages so even if he's only an average player now better to have the revenue from our shirt sales and him on the bench for the lesser teams than to have him on another team,pay prob 100k a week of his wages and loose that revenue.

Guess it all depends on how much revenue we get from those shirts too... 

KAGAWA??

He's the 3rd best selling football jersey global?

This doesn't really prove much. Torres played against Real Madrid for one, Ba did not. And both other strikers had a full tour under there belt by that point where as Torres was just returning to training. 

The toss up between Lukaku and Torres will probably be debated all season but for me both strikers should always start ahead of Ba. Ba just doesn't offer anything outside of the box, if we are going to off-load anyone it should definitely be him.