Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

The transfer window is not closed yet.

I'm ruling nothing out.

It's still possible Mourinho will land Rooney.

Well we are always good for a last minute 'blockbuster' deal....nothing is impossible but apart from the usual rhetoric that he is 'not for sale' he hasn't come out and said he is 'happy' and Man U haven't 'officially' said they are not selling him.  Everyone has their price, it depends how much Roman really wants to pay and one thing is for certain, if he does come here we will be paying a lot more than if he was being sold abroad.

Thats is not taken from the us tour. Ba didn't score any and lukaku got 1 I believe. 

Having watched the entire US tour think it was pretty evident that once again neither of the strikers were served very well, this seems to be an inherent problem carried over from last year and I am beginning to wonder if its simply down to the immense talent we have in our midfield or the lack of vision by the three strikers.  (The Asian tour was simply a warm up to get the rust out so the teams were pretty poor in terms of comeptition.) The midfielders we have tend to be 'attacking and creative' which is fine and tend to play the ball among themselves, with the forwards ahead of them.  Despite the lack of goals Torres works hard in creating space for the attacking midfielders by pulling the central defenders wide, which is OK but don't expect him to score by doing so, Ba and Lukaku tend to stay more central although Lukaku works the back line well at times and does pull the defenders away from the central area when the opportunity presents itself.  I am not too worried about the potential lack of goals from the three strikers because there is enough fire power from any of the midfielders regardless of who plays there, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Ramires, Lampard, Moses, etc are all capable of 15 goals + each.  Whether 'our Wayne' arrives or not we are more than capable of winning the league this year with the talent we have.

^^ on wagnh there was an artivle about pre season which pointed out we didnt score a single goal with torres on the pitch. could be down to coincidence, but my opinion is he drops so deep he crowds our best players space and provides no outlet.

Rooney has the intelligence to link up play whilst providing a focal point for the attack.

I think torres would be a better player if he spent 90 mins just sitting the last defender and trying to get in behind.

Thats pretty much how lukaku plays, because he wants to score goals.

Edited by big blue

Might come across as a a bit daft but I just don't get how people justify Torres' place in the squad by his ability to link up a play. If all he did was hang on the shoulder of the CB ala Inzaghi and scored goals, we won't be in our present predicament of uncertainty about our forward options. By definition he is a forward and their high valuation and pay scale is due to the ability to score goals and determine the outcome of games.

Personally I feel putting the burden of goal scoring on our midfield players is a difficult one, and if we get 45 goals out of all of them I would still deem it a successful season. 80+ league goals should get you in the top 2 based on the last 5 seasons; hypothetically 45 from midfield, 5 from defence and we will need about 30 from our forward options. For argument sake can I see all 3 chipping in with 10 league goals? Lukaku; Yes, Ba; Maybe, Torres; No (drops too deep to get involved, movement in the box is all wrong and not instinctive enough).

The movement inside the box is definitely one of the weakest assets of Torres, the amount of time he remains static; flatfooted around the penalty spot without attacking the posts or putting pressure on defenders and goalkeepers. He moves alright when outside the box or during set pieces but in open play he usually clogs up the space which Mata/Hazard/Lampard would naturally occupy and makes himself a difficult person to find. 

Edited by Las7

One thing I noticed watching RvP score for ManU is he can operate in small spaces and let go a shot in a very tight space and on top of that that shot usually goes into the right direction and what really makes him a deadly hitman is how hard he can shoot.

Last season Torres was able to get in very good positions thank to his runs and our brilliant midfielders but he very seldom made an effort for a shot. He has a very hard and accurate shot when he is not pressured but when the defenders crowd him it usually ends up him losing the ball as he tries to pass it or he just completely freezes. Can't manager do anything about it?

I know RvP is one of the top strikers because of what I said but Torres used to do that as well. He used to do that for a living. I hope Jose makes some training moves with Torres and the strikers where their only target is to get a shot on goal inside the box under aggressive defending. They probably do it already but to really put effort in it and actually tell Torres if you don't train extra hard (own time) on this you don't play.

He is so well paid the club should be able to demand much more of him.

Nothing wrong with his workrate in games but maybe they train wrong things and don't speak out on these issues. Maybe they do and it is just that hard to score but it would be really nice to know...

I'm not bothered about workrate. It's nice to put in a shift but at the end of the day I'd rather have a striker that play s**t all game and then scores a winning goal than a striker who works his a**e off all game but doesn't find the net and we draw or lose.

"I'm not bothered about workrate" - really? So you'd rather we just play with 10 men and a useless striker up front sat around waiting for the opportunity to score? That doesn't make any sense what so ever. 

^^ on wagnh there was an artivle about pre season which pointed out we didnt score a single goal with torres on the pitch. could be down to coincidence, but my opinion is he drops so deep he crowds our best players space and provides no outlet.

Torres barely played in pre season, how on earth it this really relevant? 

in his preseason matches, he was playing what looked like a false 9ish.  dropping back receiving the ball then either going to the wing and letting a winger or midfielder slot in the middle.  i honestly think those are the instructions he's being given.  the midfield are the ones who are crashing the box.  torres is just being used as a link up.  

he does need to be more selfish.  i'd rather see him take 5-7 shots at goal then just linking up with the midfield. shots = effort towards scoring.  link up becomes misinterpreted and fans jump to conclusions.  he's being used all wrong if that's the case.  the midfield creativity is more than enough to push the ball forward.  he needs to ride the CB's and break when the opportunity arises.  be selfish.  

he does that....torres will be top scoring striker on the team.  mark it down.  

Torres barely played in pre season, how on earth it this really relevant?

the stats were taken from just the usa tour in which torres played the most minutes out of any forward.

Most things in pre season are irrelevant, but I do think torres drops too deep to the detriment of the team and himself.

the stats were taken from just the usa tour in which torres played the most minutes out of any forward.

Most things in pre season are irrelevant, but I do think torres drops too deep to the detriment of the team and himself.

It's on Jose to instruct him to play differently if he is hampering the team by dropping too deep or out wide too often.

If he doesn't listen to playing instructions then he won't get playing time, especially now as we have more options up front.

I think he got the most playing time in the USA because he needed the game time to get match fitness having missed the Asian leg of pre-season.

"I'm not bothered about workrate" - really? So you'd rather we just play with 10 men and a useless striker up front sat around waiting for the opportunity to score? That doesn't make any sense what so ever. 

You completely misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the whole team being s**t. What I'm saying is, if Torres is poor all game but then pops up with a winner, I'd be far happier than if he worked his balls off the whole game and we lost or drew cos he never scored.

You completely misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm not talking about the whole team being s**t. What I'm saying is, if Torres is poor all game but then pops up with a winner, I'd be far happier than if he worked his balls off the whole game and we lost or drew cos he never scored.

I'm not talking about the whole team being sh*t either. I'm just saying that you need your strikers to have a high work rate in todays game. You can't have idle players who don't offer anything outside the box.

Watching Torres today (Chelsea vs Hull Citty, 18 Aug), kind like a watching football star who has faded from his glory.

Many of interesting passes from the midfield or ball-winning struggle, stops at Torres after his ambitious passes to other players.

He also prefers to wait at the edge of the penalty box, rather than becoming the target man.

While it is certainly possible to help Torres to improve his performance, It is more sensible and effective to give the role of striker to other players.

Well Torres played really well and although he didn't get shots off he was one of our best on the pitch. He got us the penalty and put Lampard through with a great pass. Good performance IMO.

But nothing has really happened during the summer. He is still that striker who is 'afraid' to score. He needs to shoot and really want to go to those areas. Look at RvP's second goal against Swansea. He makes some nice moves and shoot's accurately. Torres have made those kinds of moves a million times but he won't shoot. That is the difference really.

Watching yesterday was painful, I can't believe we're in the same position we were in last season. Another season of "funk off Torres you useless..........."

Despite the fact that some people on here other think he's played well nearly everyone agrees that we should have a new striker by now, the only dampner on a good day.

Despite the fact that some people on here other think he's played well nearly everyone agrees that we should have a new striker by now, the only dampner on a good day.

I do agree we need a top class striker but judging Torres just on his performance yesterday, I thought he played well and the excellent opening 30-35 minutes of the game were aided by his excellent link up play.

He, for me at least, has shown he has something to contribute this season and it's nice to know we have a few options up front now.

Jose has said after yesterday's game that he wants to bring in another striker so I would assume one of the current three would leave. Based on the game yesterday it would appear Ba is third choice so I would expect him to be the one to leave.

I thought Torres was pretty much his usual Chelsea self yesterday, a few decent pieces of link up play, a couple of decent runs, a few times he wasn't on the same wavelength and little attempts at one-twos ended with his touch or timing allowing Hull to get the ball away.

I thought Lukaku although only on for a short tme held the ball up better and had the team been in the same gear they were in the first half would have made a difference.

It's hard to judge on one game and that game being against a team that will be lucky to stay up, add to that the foot off the gas in the second half but in my opinion Torres didn't perform any better than usual when you remember he does often shine more against weaker opposition.

I think we need a striker but I'm also confident that between the three we have Jose can get enough improvement to have us put in a strong challenge.

Are we really having this discussion again?

He was ok yesterday, won a penalty and the free kick from which we scored. Faded along with the rest of the team second half!

Jose is no mug, if he doesn't think that Torres is doing enough for the team then he will drop him, if he thinks that he is part of a winning formula expect to see him continue.

And just so I'm right, we have only played 1 competetive game yes???

Torres did OK without ever looking like he was going to score. The TV stat about Ivanovich having had six touches in the Hull City box whilst our no:9 only had one was quite telling.

How do they work that stat out? does it count if you were dribbling the ball? i.e if you were dribbling the ball is that 1 touch, 2 touches, 3 touches etc.

Genuine question.

Edited by shedpensioner