Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

What we don't know though is what instruction any of our players are given, so it may be (I doubt it) that Torres/Lukaku/Ba are told to pull central defenders out of place to create space for our gifted attacking midfielders.

I also can't remember although some might be able to, where Ivans touches were in the box, were they in goal scoring positions or passing/crossing positions?

The point I'm trying to make is that stats can used to justify lots of different things, and IMO this stat is not massively relevant unless broken down to each individual touch.

Yep, it's surely instructions amongst other things like:

Needs time to settle in; selfish players; selfish defenders; wrong tactics; poor matches; Drogba getting in his way; we don't counterattack enough and he is good at counter attacking; we play too slow; we play too fast; not enough through balls; needs a coach to pat him on the shoulder; needs a coach to slap him in the face; needs a defender to injure his face and wear a mask; needs teams to stop parking the bus./ 

torres played okay yesterday, but he never looks like scoring...ever. I think we can win the league with what we have but there will be games when we will rue not having a van Persie in the side.

Im praying that by some miracle we end up with lewandowski, because I think he coild be the ideal acquisition for us. I really dont get why he is so set on bayern munich.

Needs time to settle in; selfish players; selfish defenders; wrong tactics; poor matches; Drogba getting in his way; we don't counterattack enough and he is good at counter attacking; we play too slow; we play too fast; not enough through balls; needs a coach to pat him on the shoulder; needs a coach to slap him in the face; needs a defender to injure his face and wear a mask; needs teams to stop parking the bus./ 

No I've not said any of those things.

However I think that anyone who has watched us for the last 9 years would say that we're a team that is set up to create goals for the midfield, in the last 2/3 seasons this has become even more so, which understandable given the talent we have in those positions.

Drogba in his prime excelled at being a provider and Lampard must have at least a third of his goals due to the abilty of Drogba to either set him up or create space for him.

We now have 5/6 midfielders who have the ability to score 10-15 goals a season for us if we use the correct tactics, look at yesterdays game, it was 2 midfielders who scored for us, we know where the talent in this team lies and so does Jose.

I'm not defending Torres I would like nothing more than for him to start scoring for fun, but thats not going to happen, maybe Jose has realised this and is looking at a method to get the best out of the team as a whole.

torres played okay yesterday, but he never looks like scoring...ever. I think we can win the league with what we have but there will be games when we will rue not having a van Persie in the side.

Im praying that by some miracle we end up with lewandowski, because I think he coild be the ideal acquisition for us. I really dont get why he is so set on bayern munich.

Would love Lewandowski but you can't really question wanting to join what is arguably the best club team in the world right now. 

Would love Lewandowski but you can't really question wanting to join what is arguably the best club team in the world right now.

I understand him wanting to sign for bayern, but I dont understand why he wouldn't consider any other clubs. If barca or real agreed a few for him, would he turn them down to sign for bayern next year?

I've never read that they were his childhood team, he isnt german, so its not like he wants to stay in his home country, but he's hell bent by all accounts, to sign for a team that has been his main rival for the last 3 seasons.

He would not have been offside because the defender who was guarding Torres went to try and intercept Oscar and that same defender was 2-3 meters ahead of Torres by the time Oscar took his shot. Torres as usual slowed down and clogged an area of the box which Hazard was running into. In fact it was more realistic for Hazard to end up scoring a rebound than Torres who expected a cut back which would never occur

There is a reason defenders don't end up in double digits, and that's why you have forwards - but when your defenders are more likely option inside the box than your forward obviously it's not the defenders fault for providing an option and wasting an opportunity. If our striker had touched the ball 6 times inside the box it was more likely for us to have a good shot on goal and goal chance created than hoping A.Cole/Ivanovic etc to come from deep and be on the end of a move. 

As I've said the touch stat inside the box simply shows that Torres is not in a position to receive a ball in the box for large portion of matches, which is not normal. 

I suggest you watch the goal again then. Your obviously just looking for something that isn't there. We won 2-0 torres had a good first half be happy ffs. Who cares if it's f**king cech who is scoring or torres. No other team has this obsession that some of our fans have that if our striker doesn't score it automatically means he can't of had a good game and should be benched.

I understand him wanting to sign for bayern, but I dont understand why he wouldn't consider any other clubs. If barca or real agreed a few for him, would he turn them down to sign for bayern next year?

I've never read that they were his childhood team, he isnt german, so its not like he wants to stay in his home country, but he's hell bent by all accounts, to sign for a team that has been his main rival for the last 3 seasons.

To be honest, I don't know. 

Maybe there is already a verbal agreement to join Bayern next season and he is showing a degree of loyalty by seeing out the remaining year of his Dortmund contract. 

Could be he feels very settled living in Germany and doesn't want the "hassle" of having to adjust to a new country/culture. 

He would not have been offside because the defender who was guarding Torres went to try and intercept Oscar and that same defender was 2-3 meters ahead of Torres by the time Oscar took his shot. Torres as usual slowed down and clogged an area of the box which Hazard was running into. In fact it was more realistic for Hazard to end up scoring a rebound than Torres who expected a cut back which would never occur

There is a reason defenders don't end up in double digits, and that's why you have forwards - but when your defenders are more likely option inside the box than your forward obviously it's not the defenders fault for providing an option and wasting an opportunity. If our striker had touched the ball 6 times inside the box it was more likely for us to have a good shot on goal and goal chance created than hoping A.Cole/Ivanovic etc to come from deep and be on the end of a move. 

As I've said the touch stat inside the box simply shows that Torres is not in a position to receive a ball in the box for large portion of matches, which is not normal. 

Actually scrap what I said about the offside I've just watched it again now. There is no way torres has enough time to make it to the far post for a cut back. The ball is played and there is about 1 second between the time oscar recieves the ball and put it in the back of the net. If oscar didn't want to take the shot on there is a nice little space he can put the ball in for torres to run onto and tap it in.

No I've not said any of those things.

But lets not let that get in the way of a good old pointless rant eh!

Edited by mclovin83

I put him in my fantasy team this year as my second striker. The thought process was that he would score 20 league goals and create a f**k load more. I think he's going to have a good season.

Very expensive, won't start enough games and won't score enough goals, if I were you i'd take him out, there are a lot of better options for equal or less coin.

Actually scrap what I said about the offside I've just watched it again now. There is no way torres has enough time to make it to the far post for a cut back. The ball is played and there is about 1 second between the time oscar recieves the ball and put it in the back of the net. If oscar didn't want to take the shot on there is a nice little space he can put the ball in for torres to run onto and tap it in.

The reason Torres should have been running towards the far post is not a cut back, it's a rebound(as I've said in my post) - it was obvious in that position that Oscar would shoot, Torres strolled around the penalty box instead of making any attempt to get to a position which would have allowed him to easily slot in any deflected ball across the goal. This is not an incident it happens very often we get a shot off there is a rebound and usually Lampard is situated in a position befitting a poacher while our striker is nowhere in sight.  

I even said that a cut back by Oscar would have been a bad decision and the defender who was marking Torres was positioned between them. 

But yes, I'm ranting while people who haven't' even watched the replay are questioning my understanding of the offside rule. 

Edited by Las7

Very expensive, won't start enough games and won't score enough goals, if I were you i'd take him out, there are a lot of better options for equal or less coin.

You could be right. You lot had two games this week and picking Chelsea players has always been tough because of the rotation. I also had Luiz and Hazard so only 2 starters.

Still wouldn't be surprised if he scored a load against the weaker sides. Just needs to find his confidence. 

The reason Torres should have been running towards the far post is not a cut back, it's a rebound(as I've said in my post) - it was obvious in that position that Oscar would shoot, Torres strolled around the penalty box instead of making any attempt to get to a position which would have allowed him to easily slot in any deflected ball across the goal. This is not an incident it happens very often we get a shot off there is a rebound and usually Lampard is situated in a position befitting a poacher while our striker is nowhere in sight.  

I even said that a cut back by Oscar would have been a bad decision and the defender who was marking Torres was positioned between them. 

But yes, I'm ranting while people who haven't' even watched the replay are questioning my understanding of the offside rule. 

f**k me is he meant to transport himself from one place to another in less than a second?. When de bruyne picks up the ball torres is on the last man and he can't go any further otherwise he would be offside. The defender goes with torres which opens up a space for oscar to run into and de bruyne finds oscar who slots it away. If your actually watching that on youtube right now and your still of the opinion that torres should magically appear at the back post then I worry for you.

Edited by Bluehatter

Just as a matter of interest, were you actually at the game?  And if so, whereabouts were you sitting?  The view you get from one part of the ground can be very different from the view you get from another part of the ground, and even the big screen replays only show what's on the telly, and the cameras weren't following Torres for the goal, nor were they looking across the line to see all the attackers in the same shot all through the move.

http://youtu.be/G9IdaQ4lWYk

Tell me how in "one" second the defender is able to travel 5 meters while Torres strolls around 1 meter. The defender is in a better position to begin with but there is not much  separate him and Torres initially. Yet by the time Oscar shoots there is a huge gap between the defender who was marking him. Torres doesn't make any effort to try to get to a position which might allow him to get to any rebound after the Oscar shot.  

Am I invisible?  Did I lose my voice and not notice?  Have I misunderstood the concept of a question mark?

See, that's what happens when you start getting older!  Folk start ignoring you! Poor Yorkley, invisibility approaches ... ::MooNeY::

http://youtu.be/G9IdaQ4lWYk

Tell me how in "one" second the defender is able to travel 5 meters while Torres strolls around 1 meter. The defender is in a better position to begin with but there is not much  separate him and Torres initially. Yet by the time Oscar shoots there is a huge gap between the defender who was marking him. Torres doesn't make any effort to try to get to a position which might allow him to get to any rebound after the Oscar shot.  

Now I am worried. If torres moves to the far post then the defender will go into the space that oscar eventually scores from. Torres moves out and draws the defender out which leaves a gaping hole in the defence which oscar moves into and by then it is to late and the defender gets nowhere near him. Of course though it doesn't matter that we score from it because it wasn't torres who got the goal.

I think there are people too sensitive in this thread about the issue.

• Rather than looking that yesterday was the one the first game of the season, we can also use it as review check-point at the beginning of the season. Torres has not just played for one game, has he?
  • His game on Sunday was not bad, but not excellent either. The point is that you could not afford to have this kind striker to guarantee to win the league. I can hardly see a striker who assists a lot but scored few goals is realistic in this environment.

Just as a matter of interest, were you actually at the game?  And if so, whereabouts were you sitting?  The view you get from one part of the ground can be very different from the view you get from another part of the ground, and even the big screen replays only show what's on the telly, and the cameras weren't following Torres for the goal, nor were they looking across the line to see all the attackers in the same shot all through the move.

I don't see how that is true, there were plenty of replays that showed both Hazard; Lampard; Torres's movement after KdB's pass. It's very clear on the video which I posted where initially the defender is marking Torres and a few seconds later there is a huge gap between them with the defender closing down the space between Oscar and Torres. I sat at West End upper last time I was at the bridge, I can only afford to combine my match going experience with business at London and I go to London at most twice a year. Haven't had a chance to go since December of 2012

Now I am worried. If torres moves to the far post then the defender will go into the space that oscar eventually scores from. Torres moves out and draws the defender out which leaves a gaping hole in the defence which oscar moves into and by then it is to late and the defender gets nowhere near him. Of course though it doesn't matter that we score from it because it wasn't torres who got the goal.

You do realize I'm talking about his movement during the pass and shot as opposed to his movement during the build up ?