Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

The support for Torres absolutely baffles me. 'Moving the defence around' and 'making space for others' by simply being on the pitch can not be a defence for someone who cost £50m and is on £175,000 a week.

If he played for another team I think people would come to this thread and have a right old laugh about him.

The support for Torres absolutely baffles me. 'Moving the defence around' and 'making space for others' by simply being on the pitch can not be a defence for someone who cost £50m and is on £175,000 a week.

If he played for another team I think people would come to this thread and have a right old laugh about him.

The support for a Chelsea player in a Chelsea forum, are you mad?

We looked slightly better when Torres came on, but yeah he lost the ball A LOT. Started a few very dangerous counters when we pushed up abd he tried to dribble. We really need to stop playing him against the top sides. Need to leave him on the bench untill we face the likes of Palace or lower sides in the cups, thats when hes good to have.

I really don't think we can blame torres or credit him for last night.

It was clear the midfield was given a directive, set Shrule away as soon as you can. In theory a good tactic as the one or two occations he got in a leg race with Vidic and rio he left them for dead, problem was we tried to force it with out the quality, i.e. it was mostly rami looking for it and love him as I do he just doesn't have the range in him (had luiz been available it would have been interesting) In addition united sat quite deep and to top it of, lets be honest we lost the midfield battle last night, lamps and rami wern't great and as such we could have had, the "Real Ronaldo" up top and probably wouldn't have seen much benefit.

I maintain Torres is a spent force who's level is probably a swansea now. What ever he had that made him special, he no longer has it and hasn't for some time. Regardless of the goal return, he doesn't gamble on things in the box, he is static and tends to lose posetion a lot while others are trying to get forward.

^^^^ Spot on Barak.

Not at all surpirsed Jose didn't start him because despite what he has said publically, (and he has to big him up), he clearly doesn't rate Torres at all. That said it would appear he also doesn't have much faith in Lukaku or Ba or either.

Another performance to remind us why even an aging journeyman like Eto'o would be an upgrade over our 50m striker.

If only it was possible, I'd get shot of him tomorrow. I dread watching him, I just do. 

The fact, that people are still trying to put a positive spin on it, shows how low our standards and expectations have gotten over the last couple of years. Look, he didn't lose the ball every time, ok? Look, he ran at the defenders, that should count for something, right? He looked lively out there, so what difference does it make he didn't even register an attempt at shooting the ball? It's all good. There are clearly positive signs about Fernando's performance. Just give him another couple of years and he'll really surprise us all.

I used to scream and moan in the past at his impotence on the pitch but I'm past that now. Lately, I just feel sad watching him play, it's like a bad movie you have to sit through over and over again, knowing full well it won't improve on the second or fifty second viewing. What a disaster that transfer turned out to be.

Jose brings on Torres when he wants to shut up shop. Ok guys we are winning or playing for a draw, send Torres on and we wont score anymore goals.

I joke but its a sad sad thing to see that he is now nothing but a shadow of his former self.

You often hear older players how have long retired say that the mind is still willing but the body cant keep up. Im not sure if thats true of Torres, it seems the other way around. His body is willing but his mind cant keep up.

I have said it time and time again, it would be best for all around if he moved on. A clean slate somewhere else.

I think this is my first post in this thread and it'll be my last. Some are trying to see the best in a striker that has basically lost all his desire and what shocks me the most, his technique.

He's on high wages yes, but i wouldn't play Torres another minute, he only hinders our play upfront. Ba was offside alot against Villa and everyone slated him for it, but they were Mourinho's tactics, early balls over the top to Ba, he just didn't time them right. Torres' movement is non existent.

Like Abromovic said, I watch him with pity and sadness too, he's not a top 4 striker in the premiership. Giroud, Sturridge, Soldado, RVP and Dzeko are all miles better and what's even more shocking is that there backups in Podolski, Defoe, Hernandez, Negredo are all better too.

Chelsea and Mourinho need to find a solution, whether it's a loan, selling him or just using him sparingly against weak opposition. He won't ever 'be back' so we need to move on without him.

The only logical reason to bring on Torres when you have Lukaku on the bench is to make a point to the owner that you want another striker. 

I seem to remember Jose did a similar stunt in the past at Real in order to get Adebayor on loan. 

Chelsea and Mourinho need to find a solution, whether it's a loan, selling him or just using him sparingly against weak opposition. He won't ever 'be back' so we need to move on without him.

I said to my old man last night that Liverpool were brave enough to just take the hit on Andy Carroll's fee. They knew they would never re-coup anywhere near the £35m they paid for him but acknowledging he wasn't going to get playing time for Liverpool under Rodgers they sold him at a much reduced fee, got his wages off the books and allowed them to sign players more suited to their style. 

Chelsea for whatever reason just don't seem willing to do the same. He's never going to justify the £50m fee we paid for him, he's won 3 trophies with us why not just cut our losses and move on?

Sell him for £15-20m and be done with it. 

Jose has shown he is willing to play Schurrle up front so have Ba, Lukaku a new striker (preferably Rooney) and Schurrle as the striking options.

It's becoming very tiresome to read the same regurgitated comments from the media and fans alike after every time he takes to the pitch in a Chelsea shirt. 

The problem we have is the only teams that would be willing to take him would not be able to afford his wages. He knows this also. I can see him doing a Malouda and just hanging out until his contract is up and then moving on. He knows he is finished at the very top level and will not earn the kind of money he is on now unless he goes to the likes of Russia or maybe China.

I think our only hope is to do what we did Sheva, Crespo and Veron and thats to loan him out each season until his contract is up and part pay his wages.

But does Roman want him gone? It was clear this time last year that he wasnt going to improve yet we cleared out our entire strike force to make him the number one man.

It's not just the fee, although you'd have to be insanely optimistic Torres fan to want to pay anything for him after what we've witnessed over the last three years or so.

His wages are supposedly pretty big, too. A loan to some Spanish side with us covering at least half of his wage bill is probably the best we can do under the circumstances.

P.S. Sorry, Uno, didn't see you've already mentioned the issue of wages.

Edited by abramovich

It's not just the fee, although you'd have to be insanely optimistic Torres fan to want to pay anything for him after what we've witnessed over the last three years or so.

His wages are supposedly pretty big, too. A loan to some Spanish side with us covering at least half of his wage bill is probably the best we can do under the circumstances.

P.S. Sorry, Uno, didn't see you've already mentioned the issue of wages.

The problem is people make out that he's completely useless but he's not ,is he good enough to be our number 1? Not by any stretch of the imagination, but this is still a striker who finished top scorer in the Europa League and is also Spain's number 1 striker. We could get at least £15million for him.

The problem is people make out that he's completely useless but he's not ,is he good enough to be our number 1? Not by any stretch of the imagination, but this is still a striker who finished top scorer in the Europa League and is also Spain's number 1 striker. We could get at least £15million for him.

We could get £15 million from some Russian; Chinese; American or Mid East club but it would still require for him to agree to go there. 

The only way we get £15 million from a club within Europe is if he reduces his wage demands by about half of what he is currently being paid - no club in Europe would pay over 100 thousand pounds a week for Torres.