Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

But who would pay that 15 million? None of the top teams in any of the major leagues and if the top teams arent buying him then its left to the teams below them and unless some really rich billionaire comes along and wants to pay his wages then it aint going to happen.

We were silly enough to buy him at the start of his decline but now he has fully declined no top team would touch him. I was hoping that PSG or Monaco might have been stupid enough just to sell some shirts but then they were actually very smart and went out and got the top two strikers in the world right now.

Maybe this hits my 100th post mark on this thread..? Probably a few shy. But the message is the same...you can moan about him over and over again. After every match the same things. Not good enough and so on. Every single person in this forum knows it I mean everyone. We'd be better without him everyone agrees. Can we get rid of him? No. Everyone knows that as well.

We didn't want to get rid of him this window(at least it seems that way) and none of the earlier season's we've had him. That leads me to think we are not even trying. Maybe because Roman. He's done okay and his face sells shirts and we gain fans. He was good enough to win us Europa League with his goals which was good from him I think.

Our saviour would be to buy truly a great striker who by merit would start before Torres. Jose is trying to do that. He knows that is the key.

Torres managed to play well enough to keep Ba behind the pecking order. I think it was on merit as well. Torres was bright end of the last season.

At the moment situation is the same. Torres still being picked ahead of Ba and Lukaku. Luk is not very experienced and Ba is not showing anything special.

I wouldn't say Torres is being picked ahead of anyone at the moment. He started against Hull, didn't get in the squad against Villa, was on the bench against United, probably will start the Super cup game against Bayern but be subbed after an hour.

Hopefully we will have another option at that point, though. :wink:

The only thing he'll do three times in a match is try to dribble past a defender and fall down.

I'd like to see that against Bayern. "The Torres trick"...why does this bring some american family movie to mind "what do you do when you fall down? you get up...three times in a game". It was in Batman actually. Hahaha. Good movies though.

First Post, Hey guys.

Probably been said already but @timetowaste seems to think otherwise. In a world of FFP rules, what club in their right mind could afford a £175k a week striker as backup? Chelsea need 3 strikers, the Up and Coming youngster (Lukaku) who could be the next big thing, a solid back up (Ba) on decent but not extravagant wages and finally a World Class 30 goal a season player in the height of his career, Torres nearly meets that criteria except the little issue about scoring regularly. IF Chelsea could coax the 08/09 striker out the malaise which has engulfed him for the last 4 years then great but can anyone truly see that being the case?

It would be best for all parties if Chelsea bought in a top quality striker and allowed Torres to move on, I can virtually guarantee Ath Madrid would welcome him back like a son, tell me that doesnt sound better than holding onto a striker who clearly needs to re discover his mojo.

Edited by Shotgun883

I'd like to see that against Bayern. "The Torres trick"...why does this bring some american family movie to mind "what do you do when you fall down? you get up...three times in a game". It was in Batman actually. Hahaha. Good movies though.

Sell Torres.  Buy Bane. 

First Post, Hey guys.

Probably been said already but @timetowaste seems to think otherwise. In a world of FFP rules, what club in their right mind could afford a £175k a week striker as backup? Chelsea need 3 strikers, the Up and Coming youngster (Lukaku) who could be the next big thing, a solid back up (Ba) on decent but not extravagant wages and finally a World Class 30 goal a season player in the height of his career, Torres nearly meets that criteria except the little issue about scoring regularly. IF Chelsea could coax the 08/09 striker out the malaise which has engulfed him for the last 4 years then great but can anyone truly see that being the case?

It would be best for all parties if Chelsea bought in a top quality striker and allowed Torres to move on, I can virtually guarantee Ath Madrid would welcome him back like a son, tell me that doesnt sound better than holding onto a striker who clearly needs to re discover his mojo.

yeah i bet atletico just keep pestering us about torres but wed have none of it

Edited by Lane

First Post, Hey guys.

Ba is easier to move on because of his wages, I suppose that's why Moses is going too. If Torres ever leaves it would be due to him accepting lowered wages at another club or Chelsea loaning him out and paying at least 2/3 of his wages. I don't think either of those will happen though.

Ba is easier to move on because of his wages, I suppose that's why Moses is going too. If Torres ever leaves it would be due to him accepting lowered wages at another club or Chelsea loaning him out and paying at least 2/3 of his wages. I don't think either of those will happen though.

I think given half the chance Athletic would be interested and for that matter he, with a pay off, would reduce his wages. He's having atorrid time in the club and a chance to reinvigorate his career at a his boyhood club where he is still worshipped and has a stated desire to play for again. I dont see the point in moving Ba off he'll fit the space of decent, not spectacular mercenary who's willing to pitch in play a few games not complain that we let Kakkers and *Superstar* run the show. Never really getting noted as first choice but able to put a shift in when required, much like any good 2/3rd choice keeper, Hilario for instance. It may sound bad but its the truth.

I think given half the chance Athletic would be interested and for that matter he, with a pay off, would reduce his wages. He's having atorrid time in the club and a chance to reinvigorate his career at a his boyhood club where he is still worshipped and has a stated desire to play for again. I dont see the point in moving Ba off he'll fit the space of decent, not spectacular mercenary who's willing to pitch in play a few games not complain that we let Kakkers and *Superstar* run the show. Never really getting noted as first choice but able to put a shift in when required, much like any good 2/3rd choice keeper, Hilario for instance. It may sound bad but its the truth.

It's strange that there hasn't been much Atletico rumours lately concerning Torres, and they already signed quite a few strikers in this window as well. I think Lukaku would get his fair share of games if it's down to him and Eto'o this season. I agree about Ba, he probably wouldn't complain about just playing a game here and there  and being a back up but if Mourinho wants a squad of 22 (excluding the goalkeepers) then it's about moving on players who are the easiest to shift considering it's just a few days until the window closes.

Edited by cfc88

What I don't get is that the commentators were talking to Jose about Torres at the end like the guy is definitely staying with us. When it's been all over the news and papers that we're looking to offload him now since Eto'o has come in. Yeah, it's paper talk, but it's from a few sources. Also, what with Eto'o, Lukaku and Schurle all being striking options, Torres won't be playing regular football.

Tonight though, he had a really good game and scored a great goal, but all of a sudden, it's like the idea of getting rid of him didn't exist.

If someone offers us 20 million plus, we should cash in.

What I don't get is that the commentators were talking to Jose about Torres at the end like the guy is definitely staying with us. When it's been all over the news and papers that we're looking to offload him now since Eto'o has come in. Yeah, it's paper talk, but it's from a few sources. Also, what with Eto'o, Lukaku and Schurle all being striking options, Torres won't be playing regular football.

Tonight though, he had a really good game and scored a great goal, but all of a sudden, it's like the idea of getting rid of him didn't exist.

If someone offers us 20 million plus, we should cash in.

End of discussion

Can't fault his performance tonight, his finish was good and he put himself around a bit. I was more disappointed with Lukaku's performance really, forgetting the penalty, he didn't do enough when he came on to suggest he should be starting ahead of Torres.