Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

This is the confusing thing about people on here. Torres played the same as he does a lot of the time tonight  but he added a goal to it and suddenly it was one of his best performances in a chelsea shirt. He was very good tonight though and showed mourinho why he shouldn't be forgotten about

Can't fault his performance tonight, his finish was good and he put himself around a bit. I was more disappointed with Lukaku's performance really, forgetting the penalty, he didn't do enough when he came on to suggest he should be starting ahead of Torres.

We were 2-1 up defending for our lives with 10 men on the pitch against probably the best team in the world, I'm sorry he wasn't doing step-overs and rainbow flicks but it was quite difficult to do at that point....

We were 2-1 up defending for our lives with 10 men on the pitch against probably the best team in the world, I'm sorry he wasn't doing step-overs and rainbow flicks but it was quite difficult to do at that point....

Lukaku neither closed down players or space when he came on, tonight will have been steep learning curve for him. The penalty doesn't at all worry me and I totally discount it.

Torres was decent on the night, worked hard and took the goal well, I expected more as when he starts well he gets more confident and usually has a good game, he had another decent chance that he made the room for the shot well but it went over and a greedy shot (which I was glad to see) that went wide but seemed to go off a bit after he lost the ball in their area a bit cheaply trying to dribble through a couple of defenders.

He really is a confidence player and I think he thinks on things too much, good game for him though tonight considering the arrival of Eto'o and the fact that Lukaku's little cameo didn't work out to well, early days for him though and I hope he gets a chance to put it right soon.

Edited by Chippy

He tends to do better in more open games when he has space which we tend to get in Europe even against inferior sides.  It's in the league where he gets crowded out and flounders around, but unfortunately we need a striker who can operate in those situations consistently.  Hopefully Eto'o is the answer for now.

He tends to do better in more open games when he has space which we tend to get in Europe even against inferior sides.  It's in the league where he gets crowded out and flounders around, but unfortunately we need a striker who can operate in those situations consistently.  Hopefully Eto'o is the answer for now.

I think if Willian has the expected impact , we will see the space Torres requires to operate in.

If someone offers us 20 million plus, we should cash in.

That will never happen though.  If we do sell him, it will be very much like David Villa's sale to Atletico, as Torres' wages are too high for 99% of the teams in that could use him.  

This is the confusing thing about people on here. Torres played the same as he does a lot of the time tonight  but he added a goal to it and suddenly it was one of his best performances in a chelsea shirt. He was very good tonight though and showed mourinho why he shouldn't be forgotten about

so a lot of the time torres plays very good?

so a lot of the time torres plays very good?

In my opinion yes. He doesn't get the goals to match though which is obviously a massive problem. He often puts in performances like tonight but it goes un noticed because he doesn't get on the score sheet. I know you and others disagree though so let's not cover old ground eh

Edited by Bluehatter

In my opinion yes. He doesn't get the goals to match though which is obviously a massive problem. He often puts in performances like tonight but it goes un noticed because he doesn't get on the score sheet. I know you and others disagree though so let's not cover old ground eh

alrighty, thats your opinion. just thought you mightve contradicted yourself there

Him being on the pitch creates more chances for everyone. Regardless of his form, teams still have in the back of their mind that he's still a threat. He creates space for other to run the channels and that's why goals come from all over the pitch and not the forward position.

He is the best option we have up front atm. Great goal btw this evening.

No, he didn't.

Clearly, early goal helped his confidence tremendously and he worked tirelessly throughout.

Most of his performances for Chelsea don't come even close to how he played last night.

Would agree with Abramovich above.

Beautiful finish from Torres and done everything that that could be expected of him playing alone up front last night. Wouldn't criticise him at all for that performance. Plus the ref didn't give him a single 50-50 decision all night.

By far the best goal I've seen so far this season. A counter attack at its absolute best and a stunning finish by Torres.

Schurrle looks some player and has incredible work rate. Can't wait to see more of what he has to offer.

Hazard had his first 'great' game this season, at least by his standards. The thought of him potentially playing like that week in week out is truly frightening. He's at his best when he dribbles past players. He needs to do more of that.

In Jose I trust. Onwards and upwards.

Edit: Oh and Cech is clearly the best keeper in the world.

Edited by Amputechture

Best performance for him in a chelsea shirt, looked dangeoruse and agressive inside the box, actually he was just in side the box which will always help.

Bluhatter - I'm sorry but a strikers Job is to score goals and bring others in to the attack when needed with good hold up play. Even if we accepted that Torres ran around a lot and put a shift in, which he doesn't always do the argument stands that you don't need to spend 50 million and 175 grand a week or what ever the papers estimate he may be on for a glorfied version of robbie savage or probably more correctly kevin davis.

Last night when he took that goal the fist thing I said is that reminded me of the way he would finish against us, no thinking about it, single minded, hit first time, superb technique, it was a harder finish then he made it look and he took it well, then running in to the box he went of the most audatios lob, again no problem, single minded going for goal did well to get in the position. And then his turn and smash, I'm not to botherd it flew over, it was everything about his game leading up to it that impressed me and what a striker needs to do, against top deffenders as well... if Torres had been playing like this for the last 2 years we wouldn't have this thread.

I said last night, despite thinking he's a busted flush I still every now and again harbour hope that all of a sudden the liverpool version of him turns up game in game out. It would be like a new signing.

Just a thought, under Jose it seems as if we are going to adopt that counter attacking football more so than the possession based that we played a lot last season. I feel Torres could flourish when playing like this. Jose said it somewhere in a quote didnt he (there or thereabouts). I felt Torres benefited from having Schurrle who when he got the ball was extremely direct and picked Torres out twice with a decent cross one of which he finished expertly. Now im not saying we're going to see the return of "el nino" if we play counter attacking football! But certainly feel Torres is at his best when he is given the chance to one touch finish

are we crazy?

Just a thought, under Jose it seems as if we are going to adopt that counter attacking football more so than the possession based that we played a lot last season. I feel Torres could flourish when playing like this. Jose said it somewhere in a quote didnt he (there or thereabouts). I felt Torres benefited from having Schurrle who when he got the ball was extremely direct and picked Torres out twice with a decent cross one of which he finished expertly. Now im not saying we're going to see the return of "el nino" if we play counter attacking football! But certainly feel Torres is at his best when he is given the chance to one touch finish

are we crazy?

This could well be true. The problem with playing counter attacking is you need to be attacked, so this wouldn't work against most of the PL teams. Against the bigger teams we can definitely do it. Personally I think a counter attack is the most beautiful thing in Football. Requires a massive amount of teamwork, speed, and accuracy to pull it off. Looks so good as well.

Yeah true going back to Jose's comments also about playing Torres against the right opponents. Perhaps with Eto'o we now may be able to utilise him, Torres and Lukaku in certain situations to our benefit! Could be a right solution to our striker problems.......

p.s i'm writing Ba off as i presume if he doesnt move on loan he will get limited game time

He tends to do better in more open games when he has space which we tend to get in Europe even against inferior sides. It's in the league where he gets crowded out and flounders around, but unfortunately we need a striker who can operate in those situations consistently. Hopefully Eto'o is the answer for now.

Exactly that, reminds me of how veron was for us. A bit of space and time and they revel in it. Was very good last night, but I doubt anyone had much confidence in him doing that in his next league match.