Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Please dont take this the wrong way but what makes your friends so special and right? To me you made them sound like had a higher football knowledge than your adverage Joe. Your friends are allowed their opinion but you dont have to buckle to them.

However i do not disagree with your comments on Torres i think most Chelsea fans are growing more and more tired of defending him. To me it seems that way anyway. I have been slatted on here for losing faith in him quite some time ago (patience isnt one of my virtues). Sometimes he can be outstanding but the last two games away in the champions league and at home to United he seemed a bit lazy, espically during the week.

Please dont take this the wrong way but what makes your friends so special and right? To me you made them sound like had a higher football knowledge than your adverage Joe. Your friends are allowed their opinion but you dont have to buckle to them.

However i do not disagree with your comments on Torres i think most Chelsea fans are growing more and more tired of defending him. To me it seems that way anyway. I have been slatted on here for losing faith in him quite some time ago (patience isnt one of my virtues). Sometimes he can be outstanding but the last two games away in the champions league and at home to United he seemed a bit lazy, espically during the week.

I kinda have the same feeling, his friends are probably spuds/arse/manure/liverpool/whatever fans and he is the only Chelsea fan and i think he just learned how to defend better. All my friends are Liverpool fans and i kinda grew into something that can defend Chelsea like his own child.

To be honest, I'd take Falcao over Torres at his peak.

I'd almost be inclined to take him over Didier.

Falcao reminds me of a even faster and more agile Ruud van Nistelrooy with a few more strings to his bow. A pure poacher who is also excellent on and off the ball and can get involved in creating not just scoring.

If we wanted a direct replacement for Torres I'd definitely bid for Edinson Cavani, but a Falcao style striker is such a rare talent I'd not hesitate to say he's better.

Guest RFC_CFC

To be honest, I'd take Falcao over Torres at his peak.

I'd almost be inclined to take him over Didier.

Falcao reminds me of a even faster and more agile Ruud van Nistelrooy with a few more strings to his bow. A pure poacher who is also excellent on and off the ball and can get involved in creating not just scoring.

If we wanted a direct replacement for Torres I'd definitely bid for Edinson Cavani, but a Falcao style striker is such a rare talent I'd not hesitate to say he's better.

Nah there is no striker in football who I'd take over Drogba, he was a one off and a better all round striker than Falcao.

Sorry guys, this is my first post on here so I guess I should have added it to the Torres thread below – apologies for that. With regard to my friends, I was making the point that they don’t have blinkered view of our club based on the clubs they support; they do a lot of reading and analysis around different subjects and would always give credit when it is due (they love the ‘new’ Chelsea).

I’ll always defend our club, but my patience is starting to wear thin on certain subjects. Perhaps it’s because I feel the constant negative debate surrounding Chelsea, which we’ve all grown used to, is about to end based on the scintillating football we’re now capable of playing. I guess this is veering away from the Torres debate, but I really hope this Clattenburg story is true. If not, it’s just another excuse for us to be hated when it looked like we were starting to become a club who could be admired for the football we play.

1 step forward, two steps back - sick of it

How many fans that dont support Chelsea say nice things about us? I have friends that support lots of different teams, some our rivals and some not but not one of them like us or will say nice things about us so i wouldnt pay attention to what your friends say about our club. As a Chelsea fan you should be use to it by now.

At the start of last season i thought he has settled he'll get better at the start of this season I thought Drogba's gone he'll be better i dont want to think he'll get better at the start of next season and so far i havent seen a reason not to

This is an issue we have had for 2 years, not 2 days. Our striker is performing below the level required more often than not.

You can bury your head in the sand and cry about Sunday but whats done is done. There is no way to change that.

We can however, sort out our striker situation ourselves.

Not as often as your namesake did, yet you still go with him as your moniker, must be wearing so sort of tinted glasses.

Not burying his head in sand, just stating this thread is getting tedious, as you say 2years and still people cannot agree. :indifferent0018:

How do you suggest we ourselves sort out the striker situation, all have a whip round and buy a striker, which one? we cannot agree on the one's we have, :laugh2: talk about burying heads in sand. :face_palm:

Nah there is no striker in football who I'd take over Drogba, he was a one off and a better all round striker than Falcao.

I have no issue with you preferring Drogba to Falao but he is definitely not a better all around striker than Falcao. Falcao is a much better dribbler and is quicker. Both offer similar aerial efficiency with edge going to Drogba slightly. But Falcao is a better linkup player and just smoother overall.

Not as often as your namesake did, yet you still go with him as your moniker, must be wearing so sort of tinted glasses.

Not burying his head in sand, just stating this thread is getting tedious, as you say 2years and still people cannot agree. :indifferent0018:

How do you suggest we ourselves sort out the striker situation, all have a whip round and buy a striker, which one? we cannot agree on the one's we have, :laugh2: talk about burying heads in sand. :face_palm:

I think comparing Kalou and Torres is a bit unfair...Kalou was never a main striker here, rarely got to play his preferred position, didn't cost a huge ammount, rarely complained or got upset at not being picked,or being subbed even after a decent showing in a previous game.

Yes Kalou was frustrating but a good servant to the club while he was here pushing himself to play at what was possibly a higher level than his skill set meant he was comfortable at but he has some medals to show for it and helped the Club to some silverware.

Kalou like Torres for me always had my support while he was here through thick and thin but unlike Torres he was never a guarenteed starter and always had competion for his place, so much so that he usually played out of his favoured position.

I can't see whats wrong with keeping Kalou as a username on a forum, we have a Zola an Ossie a Ballack and various players not at the club anymore, I could understand digging him out about it if he called himself Gallas time.

Sorry guys, this is my first post on here so I guess I should have added it to the Torres thread below – apologies for that. With regard to my friends, I was making the point that they don’t have blinkered view of our club based on the clubs they support; they do a lot of reading and analysis around different subjects and would always give credit when it is due (they love the ‘new’ Chelsea).

I’ll always defend our club, but my patience is starting to wear thin on certain subjects. Perhaps it’s because I feel the constant negative debate surrounding Chelsea, which we’ve all grown used to, is about to end based on the scintillating football we’re now capable of playing. I guess this is veering away from the Torres debate, but I really hope this Clattenburg story is true. If not, it’s just another excuse for us to be hated when it looked like we were starting to become a club who could be admired for the football we play.

1 step forward, two steps back - sick of it

Some refreshing points Egg Man, and I agree with you entirely on Torres and also the perpetual negativity that surrounds us.

As I have stated previously...unless he turns things around within the next few weeks he will be gone in January..probably back to Spain..but no worries Roman's got his cash back at least twice over with the merchandise...Alice bands must have been selling for at least a tenner?

Could have done a run on paul carf wigs: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northwest/series7/i/comedy_steve.jpg

Guest RFC_CFC

No one is going to pay Torres current wage, he will not be going in January.

Look at Malouda.

Am I the only one who has been happy with his start to the season, it has been miles better than last season and he has scored some goals and the front 3 in our side are linking up really well.

He's not going to score 20-30 goals a season but with Hazard, Mata, Oscar also scoring goals he won't really need to, I'd love another option other than Studge (he is certain to leave in Jan) but it may not be the superstar signing most on here are thinking.

Edited by RFC_CFC
Guest RFC_CFC

Wouldn't surprise me if it was Lukaka, he will get game time being 2nd choice (which is what he is at WBA).

A good value signing would be Llorente.

He's available on a free in the summer is he not? Maybe they would cave in at a bid in January...

Lukaku may well be called back but I really want him playing games to get back to the Anderlect form that saw us and a host of other top teams come in for him.