Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Gonna stick my neck out on this one, Torres will be our highest scoring striker in the league this season.

a possibility if he somehow holds on to the main striker role, sadly though for me that possibility comes hand in hand with missing out on the title.

I'm hoping that Eto'o can contribute and still not convinced Ba can't give a reasonable return if he gets chances, my fear is though that Torres will be looked at as the main striker and neither of the others will get a fair crack, in that I mean if Torres is rested and either of the others does well, will they get a run of starts?.

Nobody knows yet and hopefully all three will be looked at and given equal opportunities with pricetag of no consequence, then and only then will we know which is the best option.

Eto'o plays best as a 2nd striker. Jose said he wanted to bring Eto'o into Chelsea in the first spell to partner Drogba up top, but Shevchenko filled that role decently to help Drogba. I think Jose likes 2 strikers. Eto'o was 2nd striker behind Milito at Inter. Honestly I prefer Mata as 2nd striker. 

I thought Schurrle was awesome on the RW against Bayern. That's his spot, I think.

has anyone else not been impressed with his all round play in the last two months of last season and the start of this season ? I think he just looks sharp and working hard, and put a few away. Needs to stop being rotated and be given the starting slot and a regular basis.

I'd rather torres than a 32 yo who has spent the last 2 years playing in russia and has never played in the premier league before.

has anyone else not been impressed with his all round play in the last two months of last season and the start of this season ? I think he just looks sharp and working hard, and put a few away. Needs to stop being rotated and be given the starting slot and a regular basis.

I'd rather torres than a 32 yo who has spent the last 2 years playing in russia and has never played in the premier league before.

Like that time he played every second of every game for half the season and scored about two goals in the league? Then when we finally got cover for him, he STILL started most games.

Torres will probably still have the main striker role. I honestly don't know how he manages it.

He'll score a lot of goals in Europe for us, he usually does. He's like a different player on the continent. It's the league he's useless in.

He does? He scored goals against some poverty eastern bloc teams in the EL but Barca goal aside I seem to recall him being useless in the CL and being a contributing factor to us being the first holders to get knocked out at the group stage.

I've been one of his biggest critics this entire time, but I think Torres warrants a start against Everton after scoring that goal against Bayern. He really looked hungry against them and while I'm never going to delude myself into believing that he can be as prolific as he once was, I do believe that he has the potential to have a very decent season this time round, for one reason and one reason only. Jose Mourinho.

Like that time he played every second of every game for half the season and scored about two goals in the league? Then when we finally got cover for him, he STILL started most games.

so his had 6 months of regular football in 3 seasons here. Im just saying give him a whole season.

Im basing this on his last few months i feel he has really improved his game and isn't just going into games and being absolutely invisible. 22 goals in all competitions was a good return and he just looks that bit sharper than i've seen in his time here.

so his had 6 months of regular football in 3 seasons here. Im just saying give him a whole season.

Im basing this on his last few months i feel he has really improved his game and isn't just going into games and being absolutely invisible. 22 goals in all competitions was a good return and he just looks that bit sharper than i've seen in his time here.

He started the last season well and also ended the season before that well, hes just not consistent enough to maintain his current form. Secondly 22 goals in 64 games isnt even allthat great for a striker, if he didnt score against inferior opposition in the EL most people would want him to leave.

Will be interesting to see if Torres gets the nod for the Everton match, seeing as he hasn't been called up for international duty I assume he will as he will have fresh legs.

Nice to see there is healthy competition upfront this season compared to last year.

I'd be prepared to go down the bookies and bet every thread of clothing on my back that torres starts against Everton, and spends most of his time either out wide or on the ground.

I'd be prepared to go down the bookies and bet every thread of clothing on my back that torres starts against Everton, and spends most of his time either out wide or on the ground.

One of my main frustrations with Torres is when he drifts wide, I don't know if this is an instinctive thing or an instruction in an attempt to create space for the attacking midfielders but regardless it not effective enough to justify. 

The game Munich was interesting because Torres stayed more central and looked to get into the box more frequently. I don't know if this was because due to having Schurrle and Hazard out wide there was no reason for him to drift because those two hog the touchline more and don't look to drift inside as much (Hazard only really comes inside once near the area). If he does start against Everton, I'm interested to see if he continues to play in the middle and have the selfishness/willingness to strike at goal that has eluded him for so much of his Chelsea career. 

If Torres kept moving wide of his own volition I'm sure you would hear one of our previous or Jose barking like mad to stay central, running the wide channels is exactly right to create space, he cannot be a wide man and striker, so what gives..

For all the brilliance of Oscar, Mata and Hazard there were times last season where I felt we still looked to narrow and wasn't using the full width of the pitch to our advantage, Mosses was the best at giving us width but was used the most sparingly in the league.

It was interesting seeing Schurrle play wide right against Munich after being told he plays predominantly on the left, being naturally right footed he gave us natural width on the right and for Torres goal the benefit was clear, I am hoping that he, KDB and maybe Willian can give us more width when needed and that we will see Torres, Ba and Eto'o staying more central and looking to poach goals in the box. 

For all the brilliance of Oscar, Mata and Hazard there were times last season where I felt we still looked to narrow and wasn't using the full width of the pitch to our advantage, Mosses was the best at giving us width but was used the most sparingly in the league.

It was interesting seeing Schurrle play wide right against Munich after being told he plays predominantly on the left, being naturally right footed he gave us natural width on the right and for Torres goal the benefit was clear, I am hoping that he, KDB and maybe Willian can give us more width when needed and that we will see Torres, Ba and Eto'o staying more central and looking to poach goals in the box. 

But wasn't there some weirdo in charge last season?  :wink: