Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but Bayern was a European game. Torres scored 23 goals for us last season, and about 18 of those were in Europe against s**tty teams. He didn't score a single league goal in five months. That's absolutely awful, it's not like he didn't get plenty of games. Even after Ba signed in January, Torres was STILL getting a lot of league starts. But his Europa League form didn't translate into the Premier League. He's at his most comfortable against minnows around Europe for some reason. It seems English defences have sussed him out and know how to keep him quiet.

Yes, but Bayern was a European game. Torres scored 23 goals for us last season, and about 18 of those were in Europe against s**tty teams. He didn't score a single league goal in five months. That's absolutely awful, it's not like he didn't get plenty of games. Even after Ba signed in January, Torres was STILL getting a lot of league starts. But his Europa League form didn't translate into the Premier League. He's at his most comfortable against minnows around Europe for some reason. It seems English defences have sussed him out and know how to keep him quiet.

Funny that one of those european minnows you are talking about are a certain fc basel. A certain fc basel who beat us only wednesday in the champions league. Was only may time when torres was bagging against em.

Let's face it torres is the best striker we have at the club at the minute so we just need to play him. If he isn't scoring he is normally assisting and helping our midfield. 

Jose is starting a rusty Eto'o ahead of Torres, it tells you all you need to know about how good he is  :Troll_Face:

Eto'o looks exactly what he is, a player that used to be good, we'll get the odd flashes of brilliance but not much more.

IMO he's no upgrade on Torres, in fact he offers less in terms of the team than Torres, f**k me as shocking as it is to say it Torres is the best we have at the moment!

I'd probably start Torres today as Eto'o could likely do with a rest but to come to the conclusion that Torres is our best striker after Eto'o has had two games and is way off of match sharp, Ba has had one start and a couple of late appearances and Torres has had two and a half years of everyone trying everything to get some form out of him seems to me just a tad unfair on the other two.

I know the forum is to discuss our ideas and air our fears etc but I really think making judgements on players that have had such massive difference in game time is

premature...how would people feel if the Manager looked at a couple of performances by, lets sayfor instance Mata and made a snap decision that Oscar was the better player...I don't think he's made that decision but the uproar in here at the thought he might have shows just how unfair that sort of thinking is.

Eto'o looks exactly what he is, a player that used to be good, we'll get the odd flashes of brilliance but not much more.

IMO he's no upgrade on Torres, in fact he offers less in terms of the team than Torres, f**k me as shocking as it is to say it Torres is the best we have at the moment!

It was a tongue and cheek comment shed, last season when our other striker wasn't played some people said that it's due to the fact that obviously Torres was doing well in training and that we should trust RdM. 

I don't know who our best striker is, probably Lukaku - Torres has scored 1 goal in the EPL in 2013 which is one goal more than Eto'o and one less than Demba Ba 

Edited by Las7

I'd probably start Torres today as Eto'o could likely do with a rest but to come to the conclusion that Torres is our best striker after Eto'o has had two games and is way off of match sharp, Ba has had one start and a couple of late appearances and Torres has had two and a half years of everyone trying everything to get some form out of him seems to me just a tad unfair on the other two.

I know the forum is to discuss our ideas and air our fears etc but I really think making judgements on players that have had such massive difference in game time is

premature...how would people feel if the Manager looked at a couple of performances by, lets sayfor instance Mata and made a snap decision that Oscar was the better player...I don't think he's made that decision but the uproar in here at the thought he might have shows just how unfair that sort of thinking is.

Chiipy you're right of course, it's just that I was & still am massively disapointed with our transfer activity with regards to striker this year.

Everyone knew that we needed some real quality up front this summer and we've failed on that front. Not only did we fail in bringing someone in but we've let go someone who at worst would have been a great impact player.

Eto'o just doesn't look the answer for me, nothing to do with being rusty or playing himself into the team, he just isn't the type of striker we need IMO.

Ba looks out of his depth at this level and although he will score the odd spectacular goal for me he won't do it consistantly. None of us would have been to sad to see him leave in the summer.

At least Torres has an understanding with the 3 playing behind him, so for that fact alone he comes out top for me.

I've seen different things from Eto'o than you obviously - especially in his first match his movement inside the box was spot on - Ba and Torres haven't been making those runs in the box; Ba is frustrating because to me he is not very mobile while Torres usually is running into the wrong position or remaining flat footed in the box. 

I've always rated Eto'o's movement inside the box as one of his best assets as a striker, so hopefully after he is match fit he will be able to show that on a consistent basis but I don't see any of our current striker as long term first choice players at the club. We will rid of Torres as soon as it becomes possible, Ba would have been sold if we got Rooney and Eto'o was only signed because of how inept we were on the transfer market. 

I've seen different things from Eto'o than you obviously - especially in his first match his movement inside the box was spot on - Ba and Torres haven't been making those runs in the box; Ba is frustrating because to me he is not very mobile while Torres usually is running into the wrong position or remaining flat footed in the box. 

I've always rated Eto'o's movement inside the box as one of his best assets as a striker, so hopefully after he is match fit he will be able to show that on a consistent basis but I don't see any of our current striker as long term first choice players at the club. We will rid of Torres as soon as it becomes possible, Ba would have been sold if we got Rooney and Eto'o was only signed because of how inept we were on the transfer market. 

For the most part spot on.

I think that Eto'o will prove to have lost that little spark that made him special and whilst I said we will see the odd flash of brilliance I think they will be few and far between.

I still don't see the upgrade on what we had, in fact seeing as it meant we lost Lukaku I'd say as an overall we are now weaker in the striking department compared to last year.

Chiipy you're right of course, it's just that I was & still am massively disapointed with our transfer activity with regards to striker this year.

Everyone knew that we needed some real quality up front this summer and we've failed on that front. Not only did we fail in bringing someone in but we've let go someone who at worst would have been a great impact player.

Eto'o just doesn't look the answer for me, nothing to do with being rusty or playing himself into the team, he just isn't the type of striker we need IMO.

Ba looks out of his depth at this level and although he will score the odd spectacular goal for me he won't do it consistantly. None of us would have been to sad to see him leave in the summer.

At least Torres has an understanding with the 3 playing behind him, so for that fact alone he comes out top for me.

I can fully understand your disappointment with the failure to get a recognised striker at the top of his game and I share it but that for me still doesn't mean we give one striker two and a half years and another two games to judge who is the better player or even the better fit for the team.

I thought Eto'o fitted in very well at Goodison and his understanding with the team looked encouraging being his first start and being his fitness/sharpness levels after

the long time since he played in anything like this sort of level, ok the Basle game not so much but with more new faces coming in and Hazard having one of his quieter games even the idea of Torres having done any better brings a smile to my face.

Its really of no ggod to us as fans to take our disappointment in the transfer dealings out on the players or the manager and all we can do is hope that Jose (who sees them in training and has a better eye than you or I) can decide on his best options in any given game and manage to do it while giving the team a chance to get some cohesion.

It's a flick of a coin between Eto'o and Torres for me but I've seen enough of Torres to know that he can have a decent game here and there but he isn't good enough or consistently decent enough, two games doesn't give me any idea if Eto'o can be better...and what I also find a shame is when Ba gets his chance the team is just not set up to play with him as he's a totally different type of player to the other two (not saying they are the same but more alike).

The manager does have to shoulder some of the responsibilty with the situation. Once it was obvious that we wouldn't get our primary target IMO we then made a bad decision to get in another stop gap, I have to believe that Jose was part of that proccess (or I'll go mad)

Eto'o for me just wasn't needed, we had Torres, Lukaku and Ba to be used in that order, now we've lost Lukaku we have 2 very similar strikers who both have flaws and 1 striker who doesn't fit our style of play.

I put it in another thread, but it would be laughable if it were any other club.

The manager does have to shoulder some of the responsibilty with the situation. Once it was obvious that we wouldn't get our primary target IMO we then made a bad decision to get in another stop gap, I have to believe that Jose was part of that proccess (or I'll go mad)

Eto'o for me just wasn't needed, we had Torres, Lukaku and Ba to be used in that order, now we've lost Lukaku we have 2 very similar strikers who both have flaws and 1 striker who doesn't fit our style of play.

I put it in another thread, but it would be laughable if it were any other club.

Of course You're right, Jose has to be responsible for the last ditch signing and his conversations with Lukaku and knowledge of Eto's predicament in Russia and his overall ability must have influenced his decision.

Now a couple of starts in for Eto'o we have not seen any pointers to prove he got it right although had Lukaku stayed and we had Torres starting every game, we could all start complaining about Romelu bench warming...Jose obviously feels Lukaku needs a bit more experience and has loaned him to a team that can give him that with a manager that has his teams playing some nice football, I don't know if the penalty miss against Bayern influenced Jose's decision but I'd imagine it might have influenced Romelu's, he looked shellshocked and maybe decided in his own mind that he would do well with one more loan spell to really kick on.

I choose to look at these things positively but I'm not as concerned with immediate trophy haul as I am stability and the team playing the way the owner wants as that way we might see a manager in the job for more than half a season, maybe Roman realises that if he wants a certain style, this time he needs a bit more patience.

Something the fans should realise too.

Edited by Chippy

Of course You're right, Jose has to be responsible for the last ditch signing and his conversations with Lukaku and knowledge of Eto's predicament in Russia and his overall ability must have influenced his decision.

Now a couple of starts in for Eto'o we have not seen any pointers to prove he got it right although had Lukaku stayed and we had Torres starting every game, we could all start complaining about Romelu bench warming...Jose obviously feels Lukaku needs a bit more experience and has loaned him to a team that can give him that with a manager that has his teams playing some nice football, I don't know if the penalty miss against Bayern influenced Jose's decision but I'd imagine it might have influenced Romelu's, he looked shellshocked and maybe decided in his own mind that he would do well with one more loan spell to really kick on.

I choose to look at these things positively but I'm not as concerned with immediate trophy haul as I am stability and the team playing the way the owner wants as that way we might see a manager in the job for more than half a season, maybe Roman realises that if he wants a certain style, this time he needs a bit more patience.

Something the fans should realise too.

I very much agree with you with regards to not worrying about the short term trophy haul, and stability is the key but I don't see how Eto'o brings us that stability.

I would have preffered Lukaku to stay with us and to be honest I really only saw him as an impact sub this season, but saw it as an opportunity to really intergrate him into our team. But hey ho that ship has sailed now, and as you say part of that could have been Lukakus own decision, although I'm sure the arrival of Eto'o influenced him more than his penalty miss.

I trust Jose to get things right with us but I won't follow every decision blindly.