Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

I saw this on the BBC site and thought it worth sharing, if nothing else it helps to prove that all the strikers are as inconsistent as each other. 

Fernando Torres (17 games, six goals this season)

Demba Ba (13, three)

Samuel Eto'o (15, 4)

Eden Hazard (21, 8)

Juan Mata (15, one)

Oscar (21, six)

Andre Schurrle (18, three)

Kevin De Bruyne (eight, none)

Willian (14, one)

I saw this on the BBC site and thought it worth sharing, if nothing else it helps to prove that all the strikers are as inconsistent as each other. 

Fernando Torres (17 games, six goals this season)
Demba Ba (13, three)
Samuel Eto'o (15, 4)

Fernando Torres (17 games, 1051 minutes - 6 goals this season);
Samuel Eto'o (15 games, 905 minutes - 4 goals);
Demba Ba (13 games, 440 minutes - 3 goals).

None of them is doing well, but Torres has been here for three years and has been a starter for a long time now.

Torres becomes 10x more effective with a strike partner. I know we have a plethora of AM's but that doesn't mean we need to play 3 in our formation. 4-3-1-2 is what I'd like to see us try. Mata/Oscar at #10 spot. Or 4-2-2-2 with two #10s

Agreed and I can't believe jose didn't try it from the start against palace. That 2nd half against southampton was the best i have seen us play this year and that was because we had 2 strikers hassling there defence which allowed our midfielders more time. Wouldn't try it against the top teams but definitely would against mid table/ bottom half teams

Edited by Bluehatter

The answer is for Chelsea to cut their losses and sell him, he will never be the player the club wanted to buy.

He is never going to return to being a player that scores twenty league goals in a season (mainly because he doesn't actually shoot) and so come the end of the season if he can move back to Spain and we can find a new striker (or two) we can all move on from the enigma that was Torres in a Chelsea shirt.

He's not the player we thought we were buying. He'll likely never be that, but I'll be happy for him to try hard every game and maybe chip in with a few important goals along the way. Provided we buy a class striker in January. Cos we definitely need one.

I always liked Torres. He's one of the nicer footballers on and off the pitch and I have no issues with him staying at Chelsea but he can't be our number one. He just isn't good enough.

Also, he stated in that interview that if we win at the Emirates we'll go top. Sadly, we would have to beat Arsenal 10-0 to go top, as Liverpool have a far better goal difference. Beat them on the 29th though and we're golden.

Saw so many say Torres was crap last night against le arse. No matter that he won 7 of 11 aerial battles up front, more than any other player on the pitch. In straight comparison Giroud won 3 out of 10. Torres worked his ass off yesterday. I can imagine he did everything Jose asked him to do, we didn't really go out there to grab 3 points rather than let's take the chance when we get it but a point is alrighty.

Good performance from him yesterday.