Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

All the signs are that he's gone.

However I won't start celebrating till it's confirmed by the club.

Can only really celebrate it if we get someone good to replace him.

From our rumours section it has been said Roma's chairman has come out and said he will not sell Destro, 100%, after their fans reacted angrily to the sale of their star defender to Bayern Munich. That leaves Remy as our back up option who has Demba Ba written all over him (smaller fee, high wages, decent player but nothing special at the top end level). I just do not see Remy as a step in the right direction after Torres. We would be going from one exceptionally expensive mistake to a less yet still expensive mistake imo.

Guest RFC_CFC

I don't think I have seen so much hatred for one player amongst a certain section of Chelsea fans . Some of the abuse he gets im happy hes gone for that reason.

The majority on here don't abuse him but rather are vocal about how poor he has been for us.

I have nothing personal against him and I actually really like the guy, it's no ones fault things have went this way and I'm still glad he helped us to win a few very important trophies.

The time has come to go our seperate ways. The fans, the club and the player need this to happen.

Seemingly, his agent is in London looking for a severance pay. Should the club pay him any money for his pathetic display over the 3 years?

Yes, unless they want to be sued for breach of contract. If the club didn't want to pay him any money for his "pathetic display" maybe they shouldn't have given him a long contract, or should have inserted a suitable clause into it. You can't blame Torres for wanting what's his.

Yes, unless they want to be sued for breach of contract. If the club didn't want to pay him any money for his "pathetic display" maybe they shouldn't have given him a long contract, or should have inserted a suitable clause into it. You can't blame Torres for wanting what's his.

It's not a breach of contract if another club is buying him, surely? It's our own choice whether we offer some kind of pay off to him or not and it's Torres' choice whether he accepts a contract at another club.

Guest RFC_CFC

Seemingly, his agent is in London looking for a severance pay. Should the club pay him any money for his pathetic display over the 3 years?

Well yes since it's money he would be due otherwise....

Not his fault the club threw stupid money at him.

I can't believe people are defending Torres wanting the rest of his contract paid to him saying it's rightfully his. No it's not.

It's very rare for a player who is sold to another club to have the rest of his wages paid to him from the previous club. If he takes the decision to move, he's moving on to a contact with the new club.

Professional pride in your career has to come in to it at some point.

-already a millionaire

-won the CL & multiple trophies in England

-had a bad run at the club your at

-third choice striker behind a 33 year old

-chance to be first choice at a big club with no real competition for the starting spot

That is a no brainer for someone who cares about their career.

Malouda was slated for not leaving & just taking a wage, but for Torres it's ok?

Guest RFC_CFC

CFC,

I read you before!

If he decided to leave for a greener pasture & Jose has indicated it at the press conference today, then why should Chelsea need to compensate him?

See reference of 1905.

Because he's on crazy wages and no club will match it.

It's clear we want him out (Jose will never say this of course) and to shift him we will have to compensate him. It's not nice but what can we do? If we want him gone there has to be some middle ground reached.

That's football these days.

Would you leave a job dropping down 80 odd grand a week if your employer asked you or would you ask to be given a pay off?

I know what I would do and tha'ts to look after number 1.

Edited by RFC_CFC

I don't know why it's being referred to as compensation or severance. It's what the club have already committed to pay him, and a move to Milan will likely involve a large pay cut. People like to pontificate about millionaire footballers, but nobody anywhere is going to just walk away from £5-10m that an employer is contractually obliged to pay them.

Edited by Englishman

Guest RFC_CFC

I can't believe people are defending Torres wanting the rest of his contract paid to him saying it's rightfully his. No it's not.

It's very rare for a player who is sold to another club to have the rest of his wages paid to him from the previous club. If he takes the decision to move, he's moving on to a contact with the new club.

Professional pride in your career has to come in to it at some point.

-already a millionaire

-won the CL & multiple trophies in England

-had a bad run at the club your at

-third choice striker behind a 33 year old

-chance to be first choice at a big club with no real competition for the starting spot

That is a no brainer for someone who cares about their career.

Malouda was slated for not leaving & just taking a wage, but for Torres it's ok?

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s ‘ok’ or it’s ‘right’ but let’s face it footballers are a greedy lot and will try to make as much as they can.

Guys like Malouda, Torres and the like are not Chelsea fans, they have no bond with the club other than it being a place of employment, if they can make money from being pushed out then they are absolutely going to do it. Of course we the support think it’s wrong but if it were me in that position I can’t 100% say I wouldn’t do the same.

We all just want this to be over…the club and fans combined if it’s going to take a payoff then so be it…it’s a better scenario than him sticking it out getting paid £9-11 million a season for the next 2 years while not giving us anything to cheer about.

Sadly footballers do not act like the support would wish them to act, that’s just modern day footy for you.

It’s sh*t but moneys king in this game now.

Guest RFC_CFC

CFC,

He just wants to leave. According to Jose he has not come to him to articulate anything.

If I want to leave for less money, how can I ask my current employer to pay me the remaining contract?

You honestly think we want to keep him?

Come on you know Jose better than that surely?

Guest RFC_CFC

I don't know why it's being referred to as compensation or severance. It's what the club have already committed to pay him, and a move to Milan will likely involve a large pay cut. People like to pontificate about millionaire footballers, but nobody anywhere is going to just walk away from £5-10m that an employer is contractually obliged to pay them.

Exactly.

It's not ideal and we won't like it but this might be the only way to end this situation.

By the look on Jose face I think he knows something will happen he even says we need to get rid of a foreign player that may well be Torres

Not much chance of a HG player replacing Torres though so either we sign no one and go with Costa and Drogba or we have to sell.loan another player.

Guest RFC_CFC

Not much chance of a HG player replacing Torres though so either we sign no one and go with Costa and Drogba or we have to sell.loan another player.

Has to be the latter

CFC,

Of course I know Jose is on his weekly bull sh*t. I trust, Jose protects the club & most likely was consulted by lawyers before his press conference.

Whatever, comes out of it, we need to adjudge on a bit longer.

If it was up to me, I would pay him enough money for one way ticket to Italy. Lol.

Because he's on crazy wages and no club will match it.

It's clear we want him out (Jose will never say this of course) and to shift him we will have to compensate him. It's not nice but what can we do? If we want him gone there has to be some middle ground reached.

That's football these days.

Would you leave a job dropping down 80 odd grand a week if your employer asked you or would you ask to be given a pay off?

I know what I would do and tha'ts to look after number 1.

How will he ever survive???!!!