Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

abramovich

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

77 pages of complete and utter tosh! Same people with the same opinions just repeating themselves.

Including your self - kind of the point of the forum.

It's like some of you read the posts so you can be mortally insulted and the proceed to patronise opinion and in cases call people f**king this and f**king that for daring to have opinions different to your own.

I don't know if you are one of the one's who have been calling people complete morons and worse just for daring to speak there mind over a player who in their (and my) eyes is not the right fit for the team or the club!

As for you dislike of the thread, this one is easy and it's quite generic, if you don't like it, don't read it... no one's going to cry any tears, don't worry

Including your self - kind of the point of the forum.

It's like some of you read the posts so you can be mortally insulted and the proceed to patronise opinion and in cases call people f**king this and f**king that for daring to have opinions different to your own.

I don't know if you are one of the one's who have been calling people complete morons and worse just for daring to speak there mind over a player who in their (and my) eyes is not the right fit for the team or the club!

As for you dislike of the thread, this one is easy and it's quite generic, if you don't like it, don't read it... no one's going to cry any tears, don't worry

I read the posts to see if anyone actually has anything interesting to say but all I see is people repeating themselves from the previous day. It's like people have to keep repeating themselves otherwise people might forget there opinions!

Are you to blind to notice that this thread is now just a torres hate page? People simply saying "torres is useless" when this is not exactly the truth is it. Got no problem with the people who can actually construct an opinion on why they don't feel torres is the man to lead our line but it is the ones who are just here to here to rip into torres and talk alode of sh*t that grate on me.

Hmmm not sure what to make of this at all, freedom of speech a welcome choice on here, an obvious polarisation of views, but Robbie obviously sees something he likes, and its blindingly obvious it isn't Danny, hopefully FT might continue with the game he had on sunday, which being in a pub of footie fans, he got plenty of boos and props, not defending him but two great saves and a nailed on pen, not bad....shoot me if you like, i tell t as i see it..some games utter pish some best attacker, definitely think we need 2 up top to freshen things up a bit though.

I think 100% of us (& everyone else to be honest), must think Nando's transfer has turned out to be the worst piece of business the football world has ever seen.

Well,maybe not the dippers.

Or Nando's agent.

Or his bank manager.

Mendieta to Lazio for 48 million Euros only to be shipped off on loan to Middlesbrough 2 seasons later. At least Torres scored THAT goal against Barca. £35 million for Andy Carroll is pretty horrendous too.

Thought we,d paid ott for nando when we signed him, i think its the whole package with nando why he seems to get a lot more patience shown him than other strikers would, its a fact in any walk of life that when u pay top dollar u expect the best & nando has been far from that for us, he comes across as a me, me ,me merchant as well

....................................................A whole load of big-time Danny-fluffing prose.......................................................................I can only presume Yorkley was drunk. ..........................................................oodles and oodles more very erudite man-love from Baby David towards Big Danny..........................then a load of girly spite about Torres..................Then more man love and fluffing

I resemble that remark. I was NOT drunk.

The Wellbeck tracking back was more indicative of the team play present in one striker and missing in another, but, other than that, not really a lot to argue with about the rest of the post, to be honest. It's still my view that Danny is not the great saviour of our season that a lot of people think he is. Neither is Torres. And neither is Falcao.

I don't know what you mean, I doubt anyone thinks if we play Danny he is gonna get a hat trick every game.

I just think based on the last 2-3 years he is currently a better player to put your trust into if there is a one on one chances setup for him and he is not afraid of getting things wrong. The hesitation which Torres embodies now days I feel rubs off on the rest of the squad, my opinion is that they wonder: Is Fernando going to make the run he should be making, will he go for the 50/50 ball they play behind the defense in front of the keeper.

There have been a lot of times where we are getting the ball to the flanks and Torres remains flatfooted, behind a defender - when most strikers in the EPL would either try to get in front of their marker or run towards the far post to pull defenders out of position. Torres mostly stands around the penalty spot with a defender covering the path of the pass - while Fernando expects the ball to be played into his feet. There is a reason Torres doesn't get too many easy goals after a touch to a cross/near post header/tap in from a yard away etc, mostly it's because of the lack of movement on his part once he enters the box. Even in his Liverpool days this was a symptom of the way he played he would take the ball into the area rather than be the target in front of the keeper - difference at that time was his capability to leave defenders behind and take a shot. Now days he lacks these key traits, so he needs to adapt his game but he has failed to do so - he still lacks the movement, while other times he is not even in the box during such situation because he is either ran off to the wing or is back in midfield well behind the rest of our players.

I'd be happy for a player not to be too involved with our build up play - because we currently have Hazard; Oscar; Mata; Moses; Lampard; Ramires etc who can take the ball forward and transition our play from defense into attack. What we lack is a player who is making himself available inside the box for easy chances from open play. Torres's movement inside the box has lead him to scoring one easy goal this season against Reading - where he should have had far more of these tap ins. His hesitation in one on one situations have allowed defenders who are well behind him to get a final tackle in, or block his shots and this has wasted about eight opportunities so far this season for us to improve our goal difference and make live easier for ourselves in certain matches.

We all know he is not the same player that was taring the Premiership a few years ago, he lacks the acceleration the speed, confidence and instinct he had that - there are flashes of what he is capable of but these flashes come few and far between and rarely win us points. At this point it's easy to say he will never be a World Class striker again, it's also not very difficult to propose trying a different player instead.

We started the season with two forwards, Torres has had 1500 minutes on the field, he is still not doing particularly well playing in front of statistically some of the most creative players in Europe - so there isn't much to loose trying our alternative for a few games before we make a decision what our options should be in the Winter transfer window.

Daniel has waited patiently here for a chance, 3 years - he has played as a forward mainly in less meangiful games against European minnows, Carling Cup games with reserve squads, possibly a game or two against Relegation contenders in the EPL. He managed to have a good stint with Bolton being the man who was playing on defender's backs - he returned after outscoring our strike force for 6 months(Anelka; Drogba and Torres); possibly thinking that would give him enough reasons for our management to give him a chance up top. We didn't sign a right winger so he was asked to play there regularly under AVB, he is not right footed and never trained to cross from such a position so he mostly played through balls and cut inside and shot - ended up outscoring Torres and Drogba that season despite going off the boil second part of the season. This season he might have been sold, but in the end he was kept as a back up to Torres - we have two strikers and the second one has played 220 minutes so far this season. Hernandez has played 700 minutes at United(3rd choice), Dzeko 600 minutes(3rd choice), hell even Adebayor has more time on the field than Danny at this point. He has waited enough we should give him a run before letting him go - simple as that, few players in recent times have shown this type of patience without throwing a strop.

I have very little worry about Falcao's game - I just don't believe at the moment that there is a chance to sign him in the winter.

Edited by Las7

I resemble that remark. I was NOT drunk.

The Wellbeck tracking back was more indicative of the team play present in one striker and missing in another, but, other than that, not really a lot to argue with about the rest of the post, to be honest. It's still my view that Danny is not the great saviour of our season that a lot of people think he is. Neither is Torres. And neither is Falcao.

Bloody Hell, then WHO IS? Don't tell me you want us to re-sign Kalou!!!

Bloody Hell, then WHO IS? Don't tell me you want us to re-sign Kalou!!!

Nibs, you know I was a bigger fan of Kalou than most on here, but even I wouldn't be that silly :)

My point was that Danny isn't as good as some people claim in here, Torres isn't as bad as some people claim in here, and Falcao, whilst being a top striker, would cost us the sort of money that makes the Torres fee look like what I get in a birthday card from my old mum.

I don't know who would be able to save this car-crash of a season, where we are a full three points behind the league leaders, joint top of the Champions League group and in the quarter finals of the Cock Cup, but I'm not convinced that spunking another 50-60 million (or whatever it would be) on this season's big name is the way that we should be going forward.

In my honest opinion, most people in here had only the very haziest notion of anything named Falcao until his hat-trick against us, and have now spent a long time on Youtube and convinced themselves that he is the Messiah. It could turn out that not only is he not the Messiah, but a very naughty, very expensive boy. OR, he could set the Premier league on fire, scoring for fun. In either case, in my opinion, it is all irrelevant, as I truly don't believe Atletico would sell him in January.

(Please note, the above are the opinions of the poster, and may have very little basis in actual fact. Just like 99% of posts in any football forum.)

Guest Gullits_Dredocks

Nibs, you know I was a bigger fan of Kalou than most on here, but even I wouldn't be that silly :)

My point was that Danny isn't as good as some people claim in here, Torres isn't as bad as some people claim in here, and Falcao, whilst being a top striker, would cost us the sort of money that makes the Torres fee look like what I get in a birthday card from my old mum.

I don't know who would be able to save this car-crash of a season, where we are a full three points behind the league leaders, joint top of the Champions League group and in the quarter finals of the Cock Cup, but I'm not convinced that spunking another 50-60 million (or whatever it would be) on this season's big name is the way that we should be going forward.

In my honest opinion, most people in here had only the very haziest notion of anything named Falcao until his hat-trick against us, and have now spent a long time on Youtube and convinced themselves that he is the Messiah. It could turn out that not only is he not the Messiah, but a very naughty, very expensive boy. OR, he could set the Premier league on fire, scoring for fun. In either case, in my opinion, it is all irrelevant, as I truly don't believe Atletico would sell him in January.

(Please note, the above are the opinions of the poster, and may have very little basis in actual fact. Just like 99% of posts in any football forum.)

Danny isn't as good as some people claim no. But he got 15 goals from the wing last season and deserves a chance.

Torres is very bad, he was signed to ultimately score goals and although he doesn't lose us games, he sure doesn't win alot of games for us.

This car-crash of a season will be defined in 3 weeks when we will find out how close/further away we are from the Premier League leaders, if we are still in CL defending our trophy or Europa.

As for Falcao, the fans can only comment on what they see. He is banging in goals for fun in La Liga while our number 1 striker hasn't scored in a number of league games now. With what he did to us in the Super Cup its only natural for our fans to drool over him. When Drogba was banging them in, we wern't all calling for Eto because we had a beast of our own.

I too don't believe we'll get Falcao but we shall wait and see. Its all up to Roman after all.

Danny isn't as good as some people claim no. But he got 15 goals from the wing last season and deserves a chance.

Torres is very bad, he was signed to ultimately score goals and although he doesn't lose us games, he sure doesn't win alot of games for us.

This car-crash of a season will be defined in 3 weeks when we will find out how close/further away we are from the Premier League leaders, if we are still in CL defending our trophy or Europa.

As for Falcao, the fans can only comment on what they see. He is banging in goals for fun in La Liga while our number 1 striker hasn't scored in a number of league games now. With what he did to us in the Super Cup its only natural for our fans to drool over him. When Drogba was banging them in, we wern't all calling for Eto because we had a beast of our own.

I too don't believe we'll get Falcao but we shall wait and see. Its all up to Roman after all.

This is the kind of thing I meant in my last post! You don't have to keep telling us you think torres is "very bad" every single day! We sure know by now you ain't a fan of his so stop repeating yourself.

Torres was and still has the potential to be a world class striker , just not for Chelsea , is it the way we are playing , the teammates , no idea but it simply doesnt work. Problem he costed us 50 mil. , selling him now will be losing lots of money. Only possibility is playing him , hoping he scores and trying to get as much as is possible when selling him.

We've already lost money on the deal and if we continue to play him week in week out and he doesn't improve (and there are very few signs that he will), we'll lose more in the long run, because with a quality striker we could be winning the league/cl and that brings in extra money.

Guest Gullits_Dredocks

This is the kind of thing I meant in my last post! You don't have to keep telling us you think torres is "very bad" every single day! We sure know by now you ain't a fan of his so stop repeating yourself.

Chill out! Don't read it or ignore me if it grates on you that bad.

Guest RFC_CFC

Torres will never be what he onces was, he will still be a good player for another team though.

We will get nowhere near £20 million for him and he will have to at least halve his wage demands unless a PSG or Anzi come in for him.

Our own fault for paying stupid wages on players.

Edited by RFC_CFC

Guest Gullits_Dredocks

Torres will never be what he onces was, he will still be a good player for another team though.

We will get nowhere near £20 million for him and he will have to at least halve his wage demands unless a PSG or Anzi come in for him.

It is but we can't help if the player and his agent holds us to ransom

About Torres lack of his once revered pace, he shows glimpses, but im of the opinion he has bulked up since being here, which has impinged on his big big asset, still think he is quicker than most, just to much hesitation, and to much tracking back, probably to impress with his willingness to work harder than he did at L'pool, or had to.

What would you estimate Torres current transfer value would be?

I find it a very hard one to estimate at the moment....

Guest RFC_CFC

What would you estimate Torres current transfer value would be?

I find it a very hard one to estimate at the moment....

Last season we would have been lucky to get £10 million for him imo.

He has improved this season but anything around £10-15 million would be what I'd expect teams to come in with. You take away his name and history and you have a striker who scores based on this season every other game but then the 2 seasons before that was scoring in like 1 in 5 games...

I reckon 12-15 mill mate, which aint good

Surely in a world where Downing is worth £18M and Henderson is worth £20M we would be able to get £20M for Torres??

Surely signing Torres must have it's financial perks as well? Regardless of how his reuptation might have taken a hit in the last 2 years he is still considered one of the biggest names in world football and surely there must be a factor to consider in the whole merchanside, marketing, adverstising side of things ?