César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

He wouldn't have had to pull Jorginho off, he wasn't even in the picture. It was Werner and Tammy both squabbling for it. 

And who would you have given it to? 

If only one striker was on the pitch, perhaps that striker would have taken it. But there was two having a mini fight to score a goal that should.mean f**k all. 

Best to give it to jorginho and tell both of the kids to grow the f**k up. 

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

And who would you have given it to? 

If only one striker was on the pitch, perhaps that striker would have taken it. But there was two having a mini fight to score a goal that should.mean f**k all. 

Best to give it to jorginho and tell both of the kids to grow the f**k up. 

Grow up for wanting to score goals as a striker? Make it make sense. That's the kind of hunger i want from my attackers.

He's the captain, the rest should listen to him.

It's not about Tammy boosting his stats by penalties, he had chances in open play and didn't take them, scoring from a penalty can't hide that. It's about what the captain says, do your role and don't be greedy, everyone knows that Jorginho is the one to take the penalties.

1 minute ago, Gol15 said:

He's the captain, the rest should listen to him.

It's not about Tammy boosting his stats by penalties, he had chances in open play and didn't take them, scoring from a penalty can't hide that. It's about what the captain says, do your role and don't be greedy, everyone knows that Jorginho is the one to take the penalties.

I want our strikers to be greedy, that's we we got, I want our captain to be assertive, that's what we got.

All this drama about nothing.

11 minutes ago, coco said:

I want our strikers to be greedy, that's we we got, I want our captain to be assertive, that's what we got.

All this drama about nothing.

Both Werner and Tammy will score many goals in the future, that's not an issue.

It's more important to have a good harmony among the players themselves, all this is just being petty since the game was already won. If there is a structure a player should respect it, it should have been up to Jorginho to say it's fine Tammy you can take this one or not, but Tammy grabbed the ball and was acting as if he somehow has the right to disrespect an already made agreement.

This is why all that was left was to listen to the captain.

9 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Both Werner and Tammy will score many goals in the future, that's not an issue.

It's more important to have a good harmony among the players themselves, all this is just being petty since the game was already won. If there is a structure a player should respect it, it should have been up to Jorginho to say it's fine Tammy you can take this one or not, but Tammy grabbed the ball and was acting as if he somehow has the right to disrespect an already made agreement.

This is why all that was left was to listen to the captain.

Monday morning in Franks office, Tammy will likely be reminded of whats what. And Jorginho will find his tyres deflated.

Just now, coco said:

Monday morning in Franks office, Tammy will likely be reminded of whats what. And Jorginho will find his tyres deflated.

Tammy & Timo want to take the penalty... Dave takes the ball and gives it to Jorghy... Lampard:

EjaM7HDWoAI1zmr?format=jpg&name=900x900

Some of the memories of his wonderful youth started appearing 👀

hqdefault.jpg

:laugh2:

No question Dave did the right thing. Give it to the designated PT and if anyone has issues with it they should air that in training. As to whether or not Jorginho should be the PT, that’s open to debate IMO but probably a discussion for the Jorginho thread.

It's perfectly normal, I remember Frank himself scrapping for penalties at West Ham when he was a kid. Nothing deep about this, if anything it's a good thing to see. 

ALSO, it shows our captain isn't as quiet as we thought. I was really disappointed in Azpi over the Kepa situation since he was basically invisible, but this time that was really good to see. Dealt with the conflict really well. 

28 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

It's a penalty. It shouldn't count towards any stats in my opinion. 

Penalties are usually given as a goa scoring chance has been denied, so the stats are skewed straight away as a goal has been possibly taken away, therefore its only right a penalty is classed as a goal.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Penalties are usually given as a goa scoring chance has been denied, so the stats are skewed straight away as a goal has been possibly taken away, therefore its only right a penalty is classed as a goal.

I'd agree with this if it was the player fouled who took the penalty. 

2 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I'd agree with this if it was the player fouled who took the penalty. 

It's up to the taker to get the job done, same with corners or free kicks. The player fouled got the pass from someone so instead of not counting the goal from the spot as a stat we should maybe count Tammy being fouled as an assist instead...

I thought we looked much better with Dave back in the RB slot. 

I do like Reece James but he's quite cavalier with charging forward and he's been caught out high up the pitch on a couple of occassions this season already... All part of the learning curve of course. 

For now, I would still like to see Dave starting more games than not.  

The thing is Werner was nowhere to be found after the signal he is not taking it and Tammy stayed long enough to make this situation actually a debate. 

Ballack, Drogba and Lampard were 3 of the top 5 penalty takers in the world at the time and they were all experienced and big alphas. Abraham is not on that level yet. He should have left the quickest possible way like Timo did. He definitely overstayed. 

Dave reacted like a real captain. Not too harsh, not too soft.

Edited by Droopy

21 minutes ago, Droopy said:

The thing is Werner was nowhere to be found after the signal he is not taking it and Tammy stayed long enough to make this situation actually a debate. 

Ballack, Drogba and Lampard were 3 of the top 5 penalty takers in the world at the time and they were all experienced and big alphas. Abraham is not on that level yet. He should have left the quickest possible way like Timo did. He definitely overstayed. 

Dave reacted like a real captain. Not too harsh, not too soft.

Dave was right. Tammy and Werner were both keen for a goal. Both had good chances to score. Convert those chances, don't carry on about not getting to take penalties. 

Anyone remember Pato demanding to take a penalty a few years back? Buried it and then carried on as if he'd just scored a worldie. That ended up being his only goal for the club. Penalties won't save you. 

10 hours ago, coco said:

Franks seen it all before :laugh2:

I remember Drogba having a whinge about not getting to take one on the last day when we were 2-0 up against Wigan and needed to win. Didier wanted it for the golden boot. Frank told him to bugger off and scored. The we got another one later when the game was done and he let Didier take it. 

I also recall (I think it was the same year) Drogba wanting Kalou to take to get a hattrick. Frank told him no again. Kalou then got his hattrick later. 

Penalties aren't gimmees to be just handed around to stat pad. As we saw with Barkley last year against Valencia sometimes they make the difference between first and not. 

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

It feels weird that he's not playing every match having done so for so many years, feel kind of sad that he could possibly be moving on soon, I wonder if he loves it here enough to be second choice for the rest of his prime?

A long season ahead - he'll get his fair share of games.  Always comes across as the consummate professional and I'm sure his influence off the field and in training is making a difference.  You know when his time comes he'll be as dependable as ever.  But as things stand, Reece is first choice.

2 hours ago, sonic90 said:

It feels weird that he's not playing every match having done so for so many years, feel kind of sad that he could possibly be moving on soon, I wonder if he loves it here enough to be second choice for the rest of his prime?

He'll have his games. There're so much more games this season with everything coming in thick and fast.

His professionalism and experience is needed

3 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Given he's been an ever present here for so long it will probably be better for him in terms of maxing out his career if he does settle down into more of a squad player role.

Whether he will see it that way however is a completely different matter entirely.

Both have their strengths, I think we'll see Dave play more of the games where defensive stability is required.

Reece's crossing is great and he looks particularly good when he has no direct opponent like tonight, but Dave will feature when you need some street smarts and good defensive decision making. Reece is at times liable to get caught ball watching or giving it away in bad areas when under pressure.

A good problem to have though!

22 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Both have their strengths, I think we'll see Dave play more of the games where defensive stability is required.

Reece's crossing is great and he looks particularly good when he has no direct opponent like tonight, but Dave will feature when you need some street smarts and good defensive decision making. Reece is at times liable to get caught ball watching or giving it away in bad areas when under pressure.

A good problem to have though!

Absolutely. Much has been said about Liverpool and City's CB troubles but both sides are seriously screwed if they lost their first-choice RB for a length of time.

Azpilicueta also offers us tactical flexibility. He's still one of the best in the world on the right-hand side of a back three.

Frank's overseeing a nice quiet transition here. Azpi will continue to play an important squad and leadership role I am sure. What an option to have off the bench or when we play a different tactical system.

Hope he stays with us for years!

• 1 month later...

A bit rusty today but still one of the best defensive fullbacks in the league I reckon. Lots of blocks and interceptions we've come to expect of him performed today, quite refreshing to go back to after getting used to watching the modern fullbacks for a while.