César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

I think Azpi has more potential to adapt to the system than Alonso. However, I don't think anybody can look at Azpi and say with confidence he has been playing well under the new system. He's actually looked one of the weaker links, but I am confident and hopeful that he will adapt. He has been playing at CB and LB for the past few seasons so perhaps it will take time. 

28 minutes ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Good for the team and let's hope now Sarri gives the badge to someone else to remove this burden from his tiny shoulders and get him back to his usual self. this team needs a respectable captain. 

strange comment. How is Azpilicueta not a respectable captain?

5 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Ignore him. For unclear reasons he's been banging the anti Azpi drum for ages.

Of all players to have a problem with, it is bizarre to have an issue with Azpi. He leaves everything on the pitch, if all 11 players had his attitude and work ethic we would be better side. 

Come'on Guys why must we always consort to name calling and dissing when we disagree? Doesnt matter how true or crazy his views are, either dont reply or use that infamous ignore button so many here vehemently are fond of. Good on us and Azpi to extend......he aint back to his best yet but damn he's a quality defender.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

For me Azpi was brought as a RB yet JM converted him to a decent LB.

Conte to a great CB with a decent out swinging cross into the box.

Sarri has put him back to RB and so far has done ok though not exceptional like he was as a CB under Conte.

Quite amusing that RB seems to be his worst position, considering that's what he was always supposed to be !

7 hours ago, atomis said:

Come'on Guys why must we always consort to name calling and dissing when we disagree? Doesnt matter how true or crazy his views are, either dont reply or use that infamous ignore button so many here vehemently are fond of. Good on us and Azpi to extend......he aint back to his best yet but damn he's a quality defender.

I agree, but this isn't just somebody complaining about the performances of a player, he's saying things that are just not true. Saying Azpilicueta isn't respectable? how can anybody come to that conclusion about Azpilicueta of all players? Giordano_Bruno even complained about Azpilicueta because he appealed for a throw in a few months back :slap_face: Seriously, a throw in?

Like I said, criticising performances are fine, but when somebody is just straight up telling lies, then they deserve to be called out on it.

On Azpilicueta's performances, they have been patchy, which is unlike him, but I think in recent games he has been a lot better. It was mainly the start of the season where he didn't look like himself, but in the past month or two, I think he has been good without being outstanding. He's defending pretty much as well as ever again and is becoming more threatening in attack. He's not been at his outstanding best, but he's at least been solid.

Edited by Scott Harris

For me Azpi's best performances for us has come at either LB or as one of the CB's under Conte.

And i wouldn't agree that his performances has picked up much lately. Decent against Fulham, poor against Tottenham and Crystal Palace before that.

Him signing a new contract is good news though. But he's not the typical possession-football fullback.