Gem

César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Azpilicueta reminds me of Ferreira in his early days with Chelsea. Very solid and reliable but nothing outstanding.

Lots of room for improvement. He needs to learn how to cross.

I prefer Ivanovic at RB.

Nobody likes a 'told you so merchant' but its interesting that a lot of people are now accepting his crossing isn't great - something I was slaughtered for suggesting on page 1.

I maintain what I said, it DID get better. But now these past few games its dipped again. Interesting, I wonder what the cause could be.

Anyway , still a very decent signing. Very solid without ever looking like he is going to be spectacular. Reckon he might score soon too!

I agreed with you then, as I still do now. He was quite a poor crosser of the ball in France. He's improved, but he's still not what I'd consider a good crosser of the ball. Ivanovic is clearly better IMO, which is why it's a shame that he's been so poor at RB this year. In most other respects, I've been impressed by Azpilicueta. Definitely looks a quality signing. 

Great performance today from Dave I thought all around. Dealt with Gibbs' wide threat very well and played Mata in with a great chipped ball. He's done a decent job for me so far and is developing game by game. I'd rather still have Ivanovic there but until JT comes back I'm perfectly happy with Azpilcueta at RB. Good start to what will hopefully be a long career at Chelsea.

Edited by Celery1989

I like the lad. As mentioned by a few his crossing needs to be worked on but another thing I think he should work on is to cut inside the opposing defender every now and then rather than always try to go round the outside. He got shepherded (is that a word?) a couple of times today because round the outside seems to be his only option at the moment. Reminds me of Gary Locke in that context - never ever cut inside which meant defenders always knew which way he would go.

Quality player, not getting due recognition yet IMO

I think he's getting a lot of recognition actually, at least from Chelsea fans.

As I've said before he's solid but never spectacular. A 7 out of 10 player.

A very good signing.

I like Dave...and rate him quite highly. He's put in some great performances, but I didn't think yesterday was one of them.

Second half, when we were under immense pressure, he kept sprinting out to make a tackle, missing, then allowing Arsenal easy passage down his wing while he struggled to try and get back. Suicidal defending at times.

I quite like 'Dave' he's a bit like Evra (for example) in that he isn't a world beater but he is steady, reliable and could give the club many years service for a small (relatively speaking) fee.

A good team always needs players who just get on with their job with a minimum fuss (he is like Ferrer in that respect), they can't all be superstars.

Great signing, and will only get better.

I quite like 'Dave' he's a bit like Evra (for example) in that he isn't a world beater but he is steady, reliable and could give the club many years service for a small (relatively speaking) fee.

A good team always needs players who just get on with their job with a minimum fuss (he is like Ferrer in that respect), they can't all be superstars.

Great signing, and will only get better.

If he improves his delivery & shooting I think he can be top class. 

He's got one hell of an engine as well. 

Not a Ramires engine by any means, but a very good one. Up and down the touchline for 90mins like all good FB's do.

Arbeloa will be looking over his shoulder soon.

I think Montoya is ahead of Dave in the pecking order for the next Spanish RB.