César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

On 27/07/2020 at 20:33, robdog said:

I should have included Super Frank's praise of Dave in my previous post, but here it is:

It’s great to see Frank appreciating what Azpilicueta delivers week in, week out. One of the most underrated players by our fan base I think we’ve ever had (I’m not specifically talking about this forum). He’s taken a lot of stick from our supporters in the last year or so but I’d argue he’s been up their for POTY. His levels of consistency are second to none. All of our players have rough patches but he performs to such a high level consistency it’s scary. Of course he has had rough patches, but in his 7 years (I think) with the club you can count them on one hand which is quite the compliment. He’ll without a doubt go down as a legend in my book. I hope he’s with Chelsea until he retires.

He should have let go as soon as they entered the box but PEA was going to score anyway, when you look at his second goal you can see his ability to do so. Gutted for him and Pulisic, I don't think those tears and pained expressions were just for missing the final, I tihnk they feel like it's a big injury that will put them out for many months. Hopefully that's not the case.

Today just reinforces for anyone who says Azpilicueta isn’t a leader or captain material. Look how our team capitulated when he went off. We nosedived badly and never really got going again bar a short spell of possession in the second half where we created nothing. If he’s missing at the start of next season it’s a massive loss because Reece James is not good enough to be our starting RB at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

He has always been Mr Dependable and yesterday he did help "steady the ship", although it would be hard for anyone to be as bad as Alonso was in the first half, so literally anyone would have improved us.

Think Frank still sees Azpi as a good squad player and an option but the signs were there last season that his form was slipping. He had a few poor games, culminating in the cup final where he was given a torid time before going off injured. Not writing him off, but I can see why Lamps is trying to play James more, but he too has shown he still has a lot to learn.

21 minutes ago, Nibs said:

He has always been Mr Dependable and yesterday he did help "steady the ship", although it would be hard for anyone to be as bad as Alonso was in the first half, so literally anyone would have improved us.

Think Frank still sees Azpi as a good squad player and an option but the signs were there last season that his form was slipping. He had a few poor games, culminating in the cup final where he was given a torid time before going off injured. Not writing him off, but I can see why Lamps is trying to play James more, but he too has shown he still has a lot to learn.

Don't disagree, funnily enough the season before last I thought he was in danger of becoming next Ivanovich.

He has been our best defender every season for the last 5 years, its been unfortunate that we haven't been able to bring in equal level of quality to compliment his abilities. Hopefully with a defensive back line of Chilwell, Thiago, James & Zouma we have a good mix to allow Azpi to be rotated and give him sufficient recoup time to keep operating at the incredibly high standards he has set for himself. 

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

it was great to see,  and I've no real problem with Abraham wanting to take it, shows his hunger and confidence. 

Me either, i think the only issue was that Werner wanted it aswell, so it was right that Jorginho just took it.

4 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Real leader would've realised it was already 3-0 and let one of the strikers have it to build some confidence, no need to Jorgi to take it there.

As Lampard confirmed, it was dealt with properly on and off the pitch. 

1 hour ago, big blue said:

As Lampard confirmed, it was dealt with properly on and off the pitch. 

Azpi's happy to drag Tammy away from the penalty at 3-0 but can't drag his Spanish pal Kepa off the pitch in a cup final when he's being subbed. 

17 hours ago, dkw said:

it was great to see,  and I've no real problem with Abraham wanting to take it, shows his hunger and confidence. 

Me too. Strikers should be hungry for goals however what I did take offence to was standing on the penalty spot sulking. Thankfully it was 3-0 at the time but if that was a high pressure penalty it would add more pressure to the taker. Thankfully Jorginho doesn’t seem to be fazed. 

Just now, RIP Mourinho said:

Azpi's happy to drag Tammy away from the penalty at 3-0 but can't drag his Spanish pal Kepa off the pitch in a cup final when he's being subbed. 

My exact thoughts when I seen how well Azpi handled Tammy. 

Probably more testimony to Tammy being able to move on and accept his captains words than the petulant Kepa. 

14 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Shows he is growing into the role and stepping up. All positive for me. 

Critisized for not resolving the situation, and critisized for stepping in. 

If he hadnt have stepped in and the headline was Abraham taking the ball off Werner for the penalty, im sure he would come in for more criticism. 

Maybe Abraham and Werner should have took both the respectable chances they had in open play.

11 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Real leader would've realised it was already 3-0 and let one of the strikers have it to build some confidence, no need to Jorgi to take it there.

I disagree. PKs should always be taken by the designated Penalty Taker. Strikers shouldn't get freebies or gimmes just because they're in a slump or a purple patch.

Tammy and Werner had chances to score. Perfect opportunity to train them to become world class strikers if they can grab it.