César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Both have their strengths, I think we'll see Dave play more of the games where defensive stability is required.

Reece's crossing is great and he looks particularly good when he has no direct opponent like tonight, but Dave will feature when you need some street smarts and good defensive decision making. Reece is at times liable to get caught ball watching or giving it away in bad areas when under pressure.

A good problem to have though!

22 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Both have their strengths, I think we'll see Dave play more of the games where defensive stability is required.

Reece's crossing is great and he looks particularly good when he has no direct opponent like tonight, but Dave will feature when you need some street smarts and good defensive decision making. Reece is at times liable to get caught ball watching or giving it away in bad areas when under pressure.

A good problem to have though!

Absolutely. Much has been said about Liverpool and City's CB troubles but both sides are seriously screwed if they lost their first-choice RB for a length of time.

Azpilicueta also offers us tactical flexibility. He's still one of the best in the world on the right-hand side of a back three.

Frank's overseeing a nice quiet transition here. Azpi will continue to play an important squad and leadership role I am sure. What an option to have off the bench or when we play a different tactical system.

Hope he stays with us for years!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Am I the only one who’s not a fan of Azpi this season? The effort is there but his positioning is abit off and he’s no use at defending set pieces.

Everytime we concede a corner Azpi looks like a dwarf marking a giant.

He looks about a 1/4 of the player he did two years ago. Great bloke, highly underrated player throughout his career, one of our most consistent performers, but his time is definitely coming to an end now. 

He has done a great job filling in for James and has been involved in most of our best wins this season. Surprisingly both him and Emerson did a solid job to cover for James and Chilwell.

Dave was already significantly weaker last season when it came down to clearing crosses and marking his man on the far post, this season his own crosses are far less dangerous but he's still someone that we can rely on.

I felt we were weaker with him in the side, which is a shame, but it looks like he's going to have to be backup from now on.

Going forward there's no comparison between him and James, and I feel like, whilst he's better defensively, there's not much in it at the moment. James is young and rash, but should improve that side. Dave's positioning hasn't been great for a few years.