Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest RFC_CFC

SPL give unanimous backing to 12-12-18

Guest RFC_CFC

No surprise really but lets hope the SFL sides see a bit of sense.

Some views are scary as to why it was backed...

Stewart Weir â€@sweirz

Just spoke to an #SPL club board director re 12-12-18. "It's not perfect but what else is there?" Dear supporter, this is leading your club!

Charles Green statement:

1f7e297d21162397381775605c0f3649_XL.jpg

RANGERS Chief Executive Charles Green has released the following statement after an announcement by the SPL on league reconstruction today.

He said: “Because of Rangers’ position I can do little more than watch this scramble to reconstruct Scottish football with interest and also bewilderment.

“I have to wait until more detail of today’s meetings at Hampden emerges but I must say I fail to understand why the SPL didn’t move to a vote on their 12-12-18 structure.

"After all, SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster is telling everyone agreement was unanimous. So why the delay?

“Might it have been too big a risk to put the format to a vote today?

“The SFL clubs meet on Thursday and there has to be the concern that if they don’t vote or arrive at any concrete solution then Scottish football could be back in the same situation which caused so much trauma last summer.

"What we don’t need is a repeat of that when one group would meet but do nothing hoping the other lot would make a decision.

“This is far too important an issue for it to be knocked back and forth but I really do wonder if all 12 clubs are happy with today’s outcome.

"I’m not so sure that is the case but hopefully we will get to the end of this in a proper and coherent manner.

“And that should also mean every effort is taken to avoid trampling fair play in the stampede to bring in something new just for the sake of it.

“Clubs have been playing from the start of this season believing they’d be rewarded for success through promotion and that should remain the case.

"But of course I cannot represent my club at any of the meetings or have a say in league reconstruction so all I can do is hope the morally correct decisions will be made.

"All clubs, Rangers included, deserve that much at least.â€

Meanwhile the Daily Record report that:

The SFL needs 22 of its clubs to back the plans with Rangers not allowed to vote as they are only associate members.

Rangers came out vociferously against the proposals when the leagues reached broad agreement with chief executive Charles Green vowing to look for a way out of Scottish football if they were introduced.

Rangers would still be in the bottom tier if the new system comes into force in time for next season, but the timescale of their anticipated ascent to the top flight would not be affected.

However, there is no guarantee the plans would be ratified in time to take effect next season.

Charles Green Statement On League Reconstruction

RANGERS Chief Executive Charles Green has released the following statement on league reconstruction:

“The continuing debate on reconstruction of Scottish football is leaving football fans up and down the country bewildered and thoroughly exasperated – and who can blame them?

“They feel their voice is being ignored by their own clubs let alone the football authorities and fear the current proposals will not herald meaningful change.

“I would like to make Rangers’ position on this issue crystal clear so there can be no ambiguity when clubs within the SFL and the SPL come to vote on a reconstruction model.

“First, we obviously support the creation of a single league body as anything that can be done to streamline the byzantine structures of Scottish football should be welcomed.

“Secondly, I am disappointed that the notion of a league structure of three leagues comprising 14 teams each was not pursued more vigorously as this would have gone some way to addressing the concerns of many football fans regarding small leagues.

“Given we are where we are, I am putting forward the following league structure proposals which I firmly believe to be in the interests not only of Rangers but also Scottish football as a whole.  It is essential that any proposals address satisfactorily the issue of sporting integrity and I believe our proposals do that.

“All things being well, Rangers should win the Division 3 title and, that being the case, we should be  promoted.  That should happen regardless of what league structure the powers that be put in place.

“It would be manifestly wrong to deny any team promotion having won the competition they have entered into at the start of the season. Equally, teams which have been relegated should not benefit unfairly from any a restructuring of leagues.

“The principle of promotion and relegation for the clubs which fall into these categories at the end of this season should be enshrined in any new league set up.  So, if, as widely predicted, we end up with a 12-12-18 set up, Rangers should be promoted and this promotion should be to the middle tier.

"There is already a precedent for this situation, established by the SFL at the end of the 1993-94 season when Stranraer, winners of the lowest of three divisions, were promoted to the new second tier on the basis they were champions of their division and merited promotion.

“Indeed, recently the chairman of Stranraer FC referred to the matter and supported the prospect of Rangers being promoted in the event of a 12-12-18 outcome. There has been no shortage of voices banging on about sporting integrity over the last year but sporting integrity must cut both ways. Should that be observed during reconstruction discussions then significant benefits would delivered, particularly to clubs in the middle tier who have yet to reap any financial benefit from Rangers playing in lower divisions.

“As we have seen recently many clubs are struggling and the likes of Dunfermline would be given a much-needed financial boost by Rangers playing in their division.

“Clubs in Division 3 are already enjoying a season where their home matches against Rangers are generating 10 times the revenue they would expect from any other home game. In the exceptional case of Queen’s Park, their home matches against us at Hampden will generate several seasons’ worth of gate receipts.

“We are genuinely pleased to have done our bit to assist these clubs financially and have been warmly welcome by SFL clubs. We would like to continue helping the game in Scotland and that’s why I am proposing that a Rangers’ Colts team be admitted to the SFL, and I hope Celtic would also consider doing the same.

“The SFL has shown real leadership in proposing this initiative although it should be pointed out that this was not the result of lobbying from this Club. This is an SFL initiative and is genuinely practical in that it would result in bringing much needed additional income to the game.

“My rationale is that when Rangers are promoted, the lowest league will return to where it was in terms of revenue generation. A Rangers Colts team would add value to the league and other clubs would see their home gates enhanced significantly by Rangers fans, particularly those who lived locally.

“I would also be prepared to guarantee other clubs the ticket revenue equivalent of 300 Rangers fans turning up for matches.

“This initiative would help smaller clubs who have no choice but to generate revenue any way that they can. I should point out that such a proposal would often double the gate at in the lowest division. In fact, such a scheme would have virtually doubled the attendance at the weekend at one Division 1 fixture.

“If the 12-12-18 structure is to be the chosen one then I would propose that two additional teams, one a Rangers Colts team, are added to the lowest league. Of course, as chief executive of Rangers, I have a duty to pursue the interests of this club. I have talked openly in the past about exploring other playing environments and change may well happen at some time in the future but no-one knows when.

“As things stand, we all have a duty to do the best for the game as well as our clubs and that is why I think these proposals would be good for Scottish football. All I ask is that these proposals are discussed and considered in a fair and balanced manner.â€

Ally McCoist: A Long Way To Go

ad18d219429f3ba3bf197068408f17ae_XL.jpg

ALLY McCOIST has welcomed the outcome of a meeting of SFL clubs which suggests changes to the structure of Scottish football’s senior leagues could be delayed until 2014/15.

Member teams met at Hampden yesterday to discuss proposals and an informal vote over whether to push them through for next term is thought to have led to a split in opinions.

Gers were represented at the gathering but were not entitled to take part in the vote as associate members while Dunfermline weren’t there due to their move into administration.

SFL chief executive David Longmuir believes things are going such a way that he has broad agreement for alterations to be put back rather than rushed into place for the new campaign.

That fits in with Rangers’ stance as they have argued for that consistently over the course of the last few months.

The Light Blues feel it is unfair to offer them the chance to win promotion at the start of a season then not allow them to go up a division if they earn that right.

As they stand on the cusp of taking the Third Division, they believe they will be entitled to move out of the bottom tier for the 2013/14 campaign assumed they seal the silverware.

McCoist is adamant any changes should be in place for the start of a season rather than applied part of the way through and insists the correct alterations must be enforced.

He said: “We need to get it right so if the delay is for the right reasons – which you obviously hope it would be – I’m all for it.

“The most important thing is we have to get this right. We don’t want to jump into something that’s wrong and then we’re faced with the same problems three or four years down the line.

“If it takes another season, I for one do not have a problem with it as long as we can all continue to have dialogue and pursue the right and correct decision for Scottish football itself.

“You can’t move the goalposts during the season and we’ve said that all along. That’s my opinion. It hasn’t altered and it won’t.

“If nothing starts until the following season and we are lucky enough to get promotion, we’ll rightly have earned it.

“Every other team will know exactly where they stand too and they’ll be in exactly the same position where they knew the rules at the start of the season. That can’t be a bad thing.â€

The difference in opinions at Hampden amongst SFL teams yesterday is understood to have been almost even.

A new 12-12-18 shape which later becomes 8-8-8-18 is under discussion but 12-12-10-10 and Rangers’ own 14-14-14 idea have also been mentioned.

McCoist says the alternating views suggest there is still much progress to be made before any settlement is reached.

He added: “From the outside looking in, it looks like there’s an enormous amount of work to be done.

“Whether it’s two 12s or three eights, I would have to say there are massive flaws in each scenario.

“It’s yet to be agreed if it’s an 18 in the SFL or two 10s and there’s an incredible amount of work needing to be done.

“A lot of proposals will have to be put forward because at the moment there are a lot of flaws. Looking at two 12s splitting into three eights, there’s an unbelievable amount of flaws in that.

“The argument remains too about us not getting promotion if we win the league but then it goes to an 18 in the bottom tier.

“From where I’m sitting, I’d have to say we’ve a long, long way to go before anything is finalised and agreed.â€

Now that St Mirren have officially rejected 12-12-18 - as a St Mirren forum put it: St Mirren To End The 12-12-18 Nonsense, it now looks as if the restructuring is doomed. And if this does turn out the case, then this is surely good news for Rangers insofar as it hugely increases the chances of their being automatically promoted to SPL2 after all, which while it was in doubt, must surely have had a detrimental effect on Rangers' performances. The news was certainly welcomed by Ally McCoist.

ALLY McCOIST has welcomed St Mirren’s decision to reject the proposed 12-12-18 restructure of Scottish League football.

The Paisley club released a statement yesterday saying it could not support the motion to change to the mooted model at next week’s meeting of SPL clubs.

A total of 11 clubs are required to vote in favour for it to go ahead, meaning any other clubs supporting Saints’ stance will kill the idea.

In turn, that would make it most likely the current 12-10-10-10 set-up would be retained for the 2013/14 season.

And that would result in Rangers gaining promotion to the Second Division after all following their bottom tier title win at the end of last month.

If 12-12-18 goes through, the expectation is the Light Blues would be placed in the lowest league of the three.

McCoist has always argued that having started the season playing for promotion which accompanies a title win, his team should be rewarded as such if it finishes first.

And having secured top spot in the standings recently, he remains hopeful the side can move up a division over the summer.

McCoist said: “I actually thought St Mirren’s statement was very good. I thought it was spot on. It was very forthright in many ways and I totally agreed with a lot of it.

“They are a club I do respect and I certainly enjoy their company, be it the team or their management staff.

“I’ve already gone on record as saying that when the two 12s split into three eights, there are one or two unanswerable questions in that.

“I’m delighted (St Mirren chairman) Stewart (Gilmour) has come out and clarified his situation. I happen to agree with the vast, vast majority of it.

“The one thing I have asked for is dialogue along with openness and honesty and we’ve certainly got that from St Mirren.â€

If another club also chooses to vote against the change, it means Gers should be able to start planning for a rise to the Second Division by this time next week.

And McCoist added: “That’ll certainly help our team to play knowing what division we are going to be in.

“I actually don’t think it is too much for me to ask, as the Rangers manager, that someone could please tell me what league we are going to be in next year. It’s not a difficult question.â€

In my opinion,for what it's worth, only Rangers joining the English leagues will provide a real long term solution to the clubs plight. 

As it stands today,in this island,that's where all the vast amounts of t.v. dough are to be found.

Sorry to say it,but Rangers Football Club is to big for the Scotish League & todays modern football world,however you figure it.

Bloody tough it will be for quite while (& if you think you have few friends now!.) with a starting place in the lower leagues....but worth it in the long term for the club & it's supporters.

However, the effect on the national teams with all those boardroom backstabbers & of course,self serving-political figures will,unfortunatly,pretty much guarantee that it will never happen.

Best of luck all the same.

The unanimous backing for 12-12-18 has now gone from 12-0 to 11-1 to 10-2, St Mirren and Ross County both having cast their votes against the proposed restructuring.

Reactions were predictably mixed. Aberdeen chairman accused these two clubs of "putting the future of Scottish football in jeopardy",  Rangers meanwhile, have released the following Club Statement after the meeting of SPL clubs at Hampden Park earlier today:

A club spokesperson said: “We note the outcome of today’s SPL vote on League reconstruction.

"Rangers has already openly talked about what we believe were constructive proposals and hope that these will be considered at some point in the future.

“The vast majority of supporters did not want 12-12-18 and the two clubs who voted against this should not be singled out for criticism. They stood up for what they and their fans believe.â€

For anyone who's interested, there's more on the story from the BBC

SPL fails to vote through 12-12-18 reconstruction plan