Gary Cahill - PL CL FAC LC EL champion

Celery1989
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The whole team is defending poorly.

The front midfield three for me don't always track back when they should.

Lampard and Ramires "naturally" aren't holding midfield players and at times I think leave the defense overly exposed.

That for me has been our major problem of late, teams have basically been wandering through our midfield almost untouched at times. 

Celery1989 , I wouldn't necessarily lay the blame at the door of any individual player. More so point at the balls up made in November which has ultimately f**ked our season.

Oh I agree entirely mate. As other's have mentioned above, the entire team are defending poorly, starting from the front. Cahill and co. just need a manager that they can develop alongside IMO. Cahill was making great progress under RDM, but the chaos created from above has clearly disrupted not just his progression but that of many other players too.

I'm undecided as to how high his potential is. At times, he's been fantastic (Arsenal at home), but then at other times he's been torn to pieces (RvP). Nevertheless, I do like him, and think that in time he could be a very good CB for us.

Edited by Celery1989

Finally a post about how poor cahill has been this season! It's about time some of the defenders got the criticism they deserve.

I agree.

The truth is that he makes so many minor errors he gets away with it.

If he was not English he'd be criticised more.

He is not good enough for a team like Chellsea except as a squad player.

I wonder if Gary would get his game back to its pre Interim standard if we had a Manager who instead of just coming with a reputation as a great defensive organiser, actually organised the defense?

The Midfield don't defend properly and the defense is error prone, the only decent defending performances we give against good quality opposition lead to us having zero ambition going forward.

Blaming any one player for this is unfair and I for one think Gary is a very able CB and a was a great addition to the squad.

He hasn't been performing well this season but I don't believe he's been doing much worse than the rest in the back line.  Only Azpilicueta has been consistent in defence for me this season.  I also feel that the point about Cahill + Ivanovic being a suboptimal partnership is a large part of the problem. 

He is not good enough for a team like Chellsea except as a squad player.

Ah yes, That old chesnut. Not good enough for Chelsea. Im still waiting on the definitive list of players who actually are good enough or worthy enough to play for Chelsea

To be honest I would expect a player who has won the European Cup with Chelsea to be considered good enough to play for Chelsea. Its just a thought though.

Poor Cahill. Just handed Brazil an equaliser on a plate.

It's not the first time Gary has screwed up.

He is often caught out of position and outpaced by an opponent.

This time Fred caught him in possession and scored

I don't understand why Hodgson choose Cahill instead of Ferdinand.

Oh dear. I'm fast coming to realise that you simply don't understand. End of.

I do, 'cos Ferdinand is a complete c................................

I like Cahill. I think he will always make the odd mistake and have an iffy game now and again but that can be siad of most defenders to be honest. We have been spoilt with the likes of JT, Carvahlo, Gallas over thes seasons but then they had Makalele sitting in front of them to help them out.

To be fair, apart from that error Cahill actually had a very good game last night. Nearly scored as well.Sadly he wont be remembered for it, you just cant do that sort of thing against any team, let alone Brazil!

Edited by bjd

To be fair, apart from that error Cahill actually had a very good game last night. Nearly scored as well.Sadly he wont be remembered for it, you just cant do that sort of things against any team, let alone Brazil!

True, but it was the first mistake i have seen from Cahill in an England shirt so i'll give him a break on this one. If anybody's should be looked at it's Smalling, the only reason i can see him getting in England teams is because of the team he plays for.

I will say this though, Cahill and Luiz proved why Chelsea at times this season have been so bad defensively. Cahill lacked concentration at an important moment and David Luiz was beating at every corner. It's very worrying and would put me off ever having faith with Luiz as a CB.

Edited by Scott Harris

Of all the things wrong with our defence recently despite having a 'tactical genius' I'd have no problem arguing Cahill is our best CB behind JT, it is the inviting of pressure and general defensive tactics that are leading to these goals were conceding.